• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Behold! My 2022 Painting Challenge!

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Behold! My 2022 Painting Challenge!

Postby sekundes » January 29th, 2022, 1:15 am

Okay the mummy test model is complete, I think I'll go back and finish off the skeletons and the remaining mummy before I move on to the zombie.

Here's the only picture I have of my first mummy paintjob, just nasty:

And here is the new mummy:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » January 29th, 2022, 2:49 am

What do you want to do with the bases?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 29th, 2022, 5:50 am

great improvement, the style is way ore clean now.
Painting the bases will be the final touch up, it is mandatory!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sekundes » January 29th, 2022, 9:49 am

lestodante wrote:great improvement, the style is way ore clean now.
Painting the bases will be the final touch up, it is mandatory!

Anderas wrote:What do you want to do with the bases?

I have no clue what to do with the bases which is why I'm just painting through the models first. I have an extra Fimir primed up specifically to figure out a base design on; so at some point I'll do that and go back and finish them off; I won't leave them as they are of course haha. I'll take suggestions if you find a good example that'll fit with my "paint it like the artwork" approach.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby lestodante » January 29th, 2022, 4:37 pm

if you don't want to experiment too much and prefer the fast way, you can paint them in dark grey.
KrautScientist (aka EternalHunt) did a good job with his set and looking at your previous paintjob, your old minis bases remebered me the ones he painted.
Link to his topic is here: KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby hombreimaginario » February 3rd, 2022, 7:02 am

lestodante wrote:if you don't want to experiment too much and prefer the fast way, you can paint them in dark grey.
KrautScientist (aka EternalHunt) did a good job with his set and looking at your previous paintjob, your old minis bases remebered me the ones he painted.
Link to his topic is here: KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

I wanted mine to be as subtle / not distracting as possible, so sort-of-stone grey for me, but yeah :)

hombreimaginario

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Español
Hero:

Postby sekundes » February 5th, 2022, 2:29 am

UPDATE:

After successes with the skeleton and mummies I decided to move on to the zombie. This was my first considered failure as my attempt to match the character art ended up as too green and Hulk-y. I underestimated the relative lack of detail in the zombies musculature and foolishly attempted to emphasize it through too dark linework. I am going to strip the pair of zombies and send them to the back of the queue for another attempt. I already have a new approach in mind, here was the failed attempt:

After this setback I proceeded to batch paint the remaining skeletons up to the point where they will be highlighted and have begun to batch paint the fimirs, I also prepared the test model with a base concept which I will go ahead and apply to all models going forward. It's essentially a dark stone base as I used in my previous Heroquest paintjob and what has already been recommended in this thread by others.

Last edited by sekundes on February 5th, 2022, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Rath of Un » February 5th, 2022, 9:36 pm

I love Army painter paints! those are looking awesome!

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sekundes » February 5th, 2022, 10:51 pm

Okay so here's the finalized base design, I went with a simple stone gray and lighter gray highlights. It's simple and is neutral enough that it blends well with most of the board. I did a small black border on the bottom tier of the base edge just to frame it all and match the black bordered tiles.

With that out of the way I can focus on painting the fimirs, although I'm getting the itch to do a hero already so tomorrow I may just start painting one of them. I know I want to save the Wizard for last since he was my favorite one to paint up last time too.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby sekundes » February 6th, 2022, 12:05 pm

I lied. I was still a little dissatisfied with the base, so I went ahead and doubled down on the detail and painted in cracks and emphasized the separation of tiers by darkening the line separating the tiers. I also outlined the models feet in black paint to make them pop from the base a bit more. I think it looks much better now. Okay, NOW I'll move on from the bases, I really like them at this point.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
sekundes

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures