• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Minis that look EXACTLY like HQ

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Minis that look EXACTLY like HQ

Postby Drew » January 14th, 2020, 8:30 am

Ik there is the "Compatable Minis" thread, but I want only minis that are so close to HQ that they could be mistaken to be from HQ.
From a little research the only ones that I could find that looked VERY much alike with HQ was "Fantasy Warriors" and "Dragon Strike".
Are there any more that look like HQ that much? I dont care if they are from another board game or if they are custom made.
So either board game names or links to sites with custom made minis are fine.
Thanks people :)
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Minis that look EXACTLY like HQ

Postby Pancho » January 14th, 2020, 10:05 am

To be so close so as to be mistaken for HQ, I'd say that the mini's would have to be GW/citadel miniatures from the actual time period. Same style, scale, proportions, world etc.

Even then, you would need a skilled painter that could obscure the difference between plastic and metal mini's.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » January 14th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Yeah... what Pancho sayd!!
You can start searching for Dungeonquest miniatures too, some very cool pieces there.
But any Citadel or Marauder miniature will work fine.
The only difference is made by the sculptor. Citadel had different sculptors and your eyes are trained you can even recognize the sculptor's hand in some miniatures.
Some of them do figures slimmer other with shorter legs and so on...
But human people are all different in size and proportions.
Also if you look at the Elf Hero is very different from the evil Elf from the Elf Quest Pack (that is too tiny for my tastes).
Below you you can see some of my figures, almost all of them are CITADEL 1985-1987 era. Later they started to change the style, I like the production that run until 1990.
Previous figures are also very cool but often too tiny (very small hands and weapons).

20200114_224819.jpg

20200114_224700_002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » January 14th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Pancho and lestodante are correct. I would merely like to add that, as far as plastic models are concerned, the models from the GW/Citadel games that were released around the same time (Battle Masters and Talisman, first and foremost) are a great source for miniatures that look almost completely like HeroQuest pieces -- the plastic Talisman models, in particular, look like slightly upgraded HeroQuest models in some cases (the Orcs and Chaos Warriors come to mind). And seeing how they were also sold in boxes of ten or so as Warhammer Fantasy models, they may be ever so slightly easier to source than some other, rarer pieces. When all is said and done, however, these are models that are 20-30 years old, so you'll always have some difficulties procuring them, if you don't want to have to sell a kidney to be able to afford inflated ebay prices...

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Pancho » January 15th, 2020, 4:16 am

Here's another one, the Warhammer Fantasy Regiments box set.
I think these are a great match, and use all of these mini's in my HQ games. The orc in particular is great, it's a bit bigger than the HQ orc and I find it makes a perfect black orc.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stig » January 15th, 2020, 1:30 pm

We're talking about the "Oldhammer" style here. Anthing "oldhammer" should fit the bill. It's worth looking at Warmonger Miniatures, the Fantasy arm of Foundry Miniatures, the company that organises everything Oldhammer including the "Bring Out Your Lead" festival each year:

https://www.warmongerminiatures.com/pages/about-us

They have lots of HeroQuest appropriate stuff and more.

One other way to track them down is to find the sculptors, and see what they have been up to. For example, a lot of the Orcs and Goblins of that era were sculpted by Kev Adams. Those sculptors have a few collections at Ral Partha miniatures:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/h ... 8mm-c-115/

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » January 16th, 2020, 1:51 pm

Look up classic Warhammer Quest. Skaven (rat men), orcs with bows, goblins with bows and spears, minotaurs, spiders, rats, bats, doors, and GREAT tiles.

You should be able to get an incomplete set that puts the cost per mini at about $1.50. Just wait for one on eBay.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby ajjohnsen » January 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm

@Pancho do you own that boxed set? DO you happen to know the height in millimeters of the figures? They do look like they'd be prefect to expand the monster roster, thanks for sharing!

Rewards:
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Pancho » January 17th, 2020, 8:49 am

ajjohnsen wrote:@Pancho do you own that boxed set? DO you happen to know the height in millimeters of the figures? They do look like they'd be prefect to expand the monster roster, thanks for sharing!

Hi AJ, I have never owned the boxed set but I have picked up all the figures individually during the last few years. They seem to be quite common in my gaming store, as well as hobby conventions. They are on ebay quite a lot too, you just have to know what to look for.
I took some comparison pics for you next to their HQ counterparts. The skaven went next to the dwarf as it has no counterpart but they are both short-arses. Note that each of the models came with alternative heads or weapons in the box set.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ajjohnsen » January 17th, 2020, 9:30 am

Thank you Pancho, this is literally the perfect response! I guess I shouldn't be surprised they match up so well since they're roughly the same time period/genre and manufacturer. Thanks again for sharing this and the pics! Much appreciated

Rewards:
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Next

Return to Miniatures