• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: KrautScientist finally (hopefully) paints his HeroQuest

Postby KrautScientist » Wednesday February 20th, 2019 9:06pm

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ Pancho: Haha, so am I! I have to admit I am a little nervous about the prospect of painting those two, however -- I'll have to nail it this time around ;)

@ Maurice76: Well, according to my plan, the following models remain:

- 8 Goblins
    - 5 Mummies
    - 4 Fimir
    - Chaos Warlock
    - Gargoyle
    - all of the furniture (!)
    - and, at a later date, the twelve Men-at-arms

@ Thor-in: Cheers for the kind words! Something that I've only discovered to be true now, after many years in the hobby, is that the more you paint, the easier it becomes, and the less time it takes to achieve stuff. So for a project like this, where there is a very clear cut scope to the entire endeavour, I force myself to paint models for it as regularly as possible and also - fairly atypical for me - to paint multiple models at the same time, at least for the monsters. It helps if you just do your best to make time for painting, even if it's only half an hour each time, multiple times a week.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby KrautScientist » Friday February 22nd, 2019 12:51pm

So I am definitely no Mike McVey, and this guy still needs a ton of work, but I still think I may be on to something here...?!

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Thor-in » Friday February 22nd, 2019 2:40pm

Yeah that's pretty close to the EavyMetal poster.
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » Friday February 22nd, 2019 6:51pm

Looks good to me. A+
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 9:44am

Cheers, guys!

So here we are, a few touchups later, and I have to say I am considering to stop here:

True enough, the paintjob is still missing some of the detail and additional squiggles from the McVey version, but I fear I don't have the brush control to really pull it off -- and I also feel the model is quite busy enough as is. That being said, I am really rather happy with the result -- this was easily the model I was most frightened of ;)

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Anderas » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 9:48am

Yes definitely thats a good point to stop!

Skeletor is ready for playing! Good that you did paint Sir Ragnar because I wouldn't use this one to proxy Sir Ragnar. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Anderas on Saturday February 23rd, 2019 10:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 9:51am

Anderas wrote:Yes definitely thats a good point to stop!

I second that...
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 11:31am

I just looked up McVey Heroquest mini's and saw some detailed Miniatures in a white dwarf magazine. If that is what you are comparing yourself to you can stop. It's not an even comparison because the Miniatures he is using are not exactly the same as the ones you are painting. They are much more highly detailed so there is much more to paint. The heroquest Miniatures that came in the Box are far less detailed. Don't look at yours and compare them to these.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/KMeJjYg

I didn't do an hours-long homework on it and just did a quick Google search but I assume that is what the mention is about. Otherwise it's definitely a good place to stop. Don't keep adding bright colors black white and yellow.

As for achieving fine detail try plucking out a single strand from the paintbrush dipping it in paint. A drop will probably form near the tip. If so, then wipe the drop onto the edge of the pink bottle then very quickly add what little streaks you can while rotating it to get very fine markings.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 1:52pm

You can also Google Remy here in the forum if you want to achieve greatness. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » Saturday February 23rd, 2019 2:20pm

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Anderas: Haha, yeah, he looks nothing like a Sir Ragnar stand-in, does he? That has actually always seemed a bit tragic to me, that what is arguably the coolest monster model in the box only really gets into its own in one quest (as that fire sorerer) and merely gets used as a stand-in for different characters during the rest of the game.

Oh, and Remy's Sorcerer was actually one of my main references when I painted this model! I always knew I wouldn't be able to fully match his paintjob, however, as I am simply not as good a painter as he is.

@ Jafazo: Yeah, I am aware of the differences between the models -- in fact, even Remy added a tweak or two to the actual models to make them look more like the prototypes, if I recall correctly. That said, my paintjob basically shows off the maximum of detail I could safely pull off, and I even had to wing it a bit when it came to the patterns on the clothes. The main things I am leaving off are the black squiggles on the vambraces and boots, the pattern on the top of the helmet crest (which I am afraid I'd just mess up) and the lines on the actual helmet (which I am actually not a fan of -- I think the helmet looks better in straight red). But I am actually pretty happy with the finished model -- like I said, I was really nervous about this particular model, and I would argue I have managed to do it justice, at least to the best of my abilities.

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures