• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

KrautScientist finally paints his HeroQuest set

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: KrautScientist finally (hopefully) paints his HeroQuest

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Sunday April 14th, 2019 1:00pm

Very cool! I like love the shading of the bookcases with the different browns and the stone effect on the tomb. Did you use a sponge for that?

I finished my skeletons and am almost done with finishing the orcs, Batch painting is exhausting!! :lol: After that I wanna tackle the fimirs or chaoswarriors.... Could you please share the recipee you used for your fimirs if its not too much hassle, meaning the colors you used? I love the green tones and the whole composition with the golden armorplate and everything. I think its one of my favorites!

You got no idea how often I pull up this thread for reference :lol: :lol:

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby KrautScientist » Sunday April 14th, 2019 8:21pm

Cheers, mate! No,the wood on those bookcases was merely drybrushed, although by being very careful and deliberate about it, the bristles of the drybrush actually created an effect similar to woodgrain -- a bit of a happy accident, admittedly ;) The sarcophagus was also carefully drybrushed multiple times, with brighter and brighter grey tones.

Feel free to provide a link to your Skeletons (via PM or, indeed, here in the thread), or even better yet: Go start your own project thread! It can also feature that cool dungeon of yours that I got two short glimpses of before you deleted the thread ;)

Regarding the Fimir, certainly. The recipe is actually fairly straightforward and works similarly to the greenskin recipe, only with a couple of different paints. Here goes:

For the skin I used the following steps (over an undercoat of Mournfang Brown spraypaint):

1. The skin was basecoated with a 70:30 mix of GW Waarboss Green and GW Elysian Green.
2. The skin area was then washed with GW Athonian Camoshade.
3. For the first highlight, the ration of greens was reversed (to 30% Warboss Green, 70% Elysian Green).
4. Then I added a more delicate highlight with pure Elysian Green.
5. And then a final highlight was added, just to the knuckes, knees and face, using GW Ogryn Camo.

The armour, on the other hand, is basically just GW Retributor Armour washed with a brown wash (Army Painter Strong Tone, in this particular case), then subtly touched up with the original Retributor Armour.

There, hope this helps! :)

I've spent the weekend painting furniture, so here's a look at what I have so far:

First of all, the two bookcases and the cupboard again:

The four treasure chests:

I also painted the tables and throne, while I was at it:

And you already know the fireplace and sarcophagus from a previous update:

So here's what all of this adds up to:

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Anderas » Monday April 15th, 2019 12:23am

Your metal recipe is a beauty! You force me to paint my stuff, man. Sunday I wasn't working at all on Heroscribe 2, instead I painted a little bit.

Could you say how you made this worn metal look on the chests and tables? Just metal, brown, metal?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby KrautScientist » Monday April 15th, 2019 10:30am

Cheers, Anderas! Actually getting stuff painted is a good thing, though, right? ;)

As for the metal, certainly: The entire area was undercoated with GW Leadbelcher, then I really went to town on the metallic areas with a heavy wash of Army Painter Dark Tone and Vallejo Smokey Ink (!) for that blackened, aged look. Some scratches were then sponged on with a piece of blister sponge, and the edge highlights were carefully painted on with a brush (either with the original Leadbelcher or, in some cases, with an even lighter silver -- Mythril Silver, in my case, but any bright silver will do. Hope this helps! :)

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby lestodante » Monday April 15th, 2019 4:51pm

Love that metal too! And the mice! Also the stone effect on the tom looks cool!
I hope you'll go hunting for the other expansions and paint the additional figures too, it is a joy to se them all painted!
Thank you.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Monday April 15th, 2019 7:15pm

Thanks a million brother!! The fimirs are gonna be my next project! :):) Your paint project is a huuuge inspiration to me!

I gonna make a thread, I deleted the old cause I wanted to get at least some minis done to inhabit the caverns! :D

Cant wait for your next painting session pictures.

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:

Postby arch8ngel » Tuesday April 16th, 2019 9:43am

The painted rats are a great touch!
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby Weltenlaeufer » Tuesday April 16th, 2019 10:13am

I just realized how equal your metal paintjob is to the old key laying here. Crazy good!

Rewards:
Weltenlaeufer

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:

Postby KrautScientist » Wednesday April 17th, 2019 7:25pm

Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone! :)

@ lestodante: Oh, I really want to paint (and own!) those models, so maybe I'll be able to get my hands on them someday -- I simply cannot afford the current, inflated ebay prices, though... :(

@ Weltenlaeufer: Haha, cheers mate! :) I have the next painting session scheduled for tomorrow, so keep watching this space! ;) You are also quite right about the paintjob resembling the metal on the key, and I would look very smart if I pretended that had been a conscious effort -- but it was really just a *very* lucky coincidence! :) Still, well spotted!

@ arch8ngel: Thanks a lot! Those were a lot of fun to paint!

Rewards:
KrautScientist

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby arch8ngel » Thursday April 18th, 2019 9:26am

KrautScientist wrote:Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone! :)

I simply cannot afford the current, inflated ebay prices, though... :(

As someone getting back to being more active in board-gaming and Heroquest, after time away in classic video game collecting (and having recently sold off all of my classic 80's toys on eBay -- i.e. transformers, battle beasts, MOTU)... this line of thinking is only going to disappoint and frustrate you.

When it comes to highly desirable, and legitimately rare items from the 80's and early 90's, the market prices don't have much reason to come down in the foreseeable future.

Elf and Barbarian expansions have had high prices for quite awhile -- similar to complete copies of WHQ, the WHQ expansions, and the AHQ expansions.

They are simply legitimately rare.
Even "back in the day", I only remember seeing them at my local Toys R Us for about a MONTH before the entire series was discontinued.

That said, I have had the sense for the last 10 years, or so, that $300 - $400 is sort of a natural "top end" of what the market will pay for board games, of any rarity. (yes there are exceptions for the even more rare, completely unpunched and pristine copies -- but IN GENERAL, $400 seems like a tough price for any of these games to break through)

And beyond that -- (and to the poster that suggested they wanted to see you paint them) -- having traded for second hand copies of both expansions about 15 years ago on Bartertown -- THE QUALITY OF THE MINIATURES IS TERRIBLE (aside from the ogres, the war bears, and the Frozen Horror).

They are unbelievable bad sculpts compared to the base game.
THEY ARE WORSE QUALITY THAN THE HEROES FROM DRAGRONSTRIKE, and that is saying something.

So don't be TOO disappointed at not having them in-hand. They would be a huge let-down at anywhere close to current prices, in my opinion.

(and the nice thing about Heroquest, or any miniatures-based game at this scale, is that there are decades-worth of substitute miniatures out there, at a much higher quality than what came with those expansions)
arch8ngel

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures