• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painting feedback

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Painting feedback

Postby aaronAGN » June 12th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Looking for feedback, constructive criticism, tips, etc.
Trying my hand at painting miniatures for the first time.

First try:

So, do they even sort of resemble the mummy from the artwork?
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Painting feedback

Postby j_dean80 » June 12th, 2017, 7:04 pm

I'm not a painter but my preference would be less shiny. Needs his face painted too.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » June 12th, 2017, 7:09 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I'm not a painter but my preference would be less shiny. Needs his face painted too.

I'll get around to the face eventually. I'm worried about my lack of precision screwing the whole thing up.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » June 12th, 2017, 9:11 pm

aaronAGN wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I'm not a painter but my preference would be less shiny. Needs his face painted too.

I'll get around to the face eventually. I'm worried about my lack of precision screwing the whole thing up.

A painted mini almost always looks better than an unpainted one. I hope you think so with this one, this is a good start. I`m concerned that you are not using acrylic paints like Citadel, Reaper Master Series, etc. If you use these, then you cannot possibly screw them up because the paint will come off easily if you submerge it for a day or two in SimpleGreen household cleaner, then scrub it with a toothbrush.

You also seem to be using a dark wash to fill in the deeper (and dark) areas. This is good, and most of us will start with a dark solid color everywhere to fill in the cracks, then paint higher levels from there, blending as you go to get this effect more directly and controlably. If you use the GW Citadel paints, you need to add a lot of water to the paint, do not paint straight out of the pot! My painting is only "okay" so I will stop with the advice there.
Has resigned from the forum and would delete his account if he could.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Archmage
Archmage

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » June 12th, 2017, 11:35 pm

whitebeard wrote:.... I`m concerned that you are not using acrylic paints like Citadel, Reaper Master Series, etc. If you use these, then you cannot possibly screw them up because the paint will come off easily if you submerge it for a day or two in SimpleGreen household cleaner, then scrub it with a toothbrush.
and most of us will start with a dark solid color everywhere to fill in the cracks, then paint higher levels from there, blending as you go to get this effect more directly and controlably. If you use the GW Citadel paints, you need to add a lot of water to the paint, do not paint straight out of the pot!

Thank you for the feedback and helpful info.
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 13th, 2017, 4:27 am

My best results with painting HQ mummies is starting with a brown undercoat, then painstakingly painting each individual bandage bone-white.
Washes and drybrushing can get you so far, but for this particular model I find it just didn't cut it.

Also invest in a can of spraypaint for undercoating your minis. Trust me, it's worth it.
Recently I've started using brown rather than the traditional choices of white or black.
Brown goes well with almost everything. Skin, fur, clothes, bones etc...

I'll also go on record and say I'm finally fed up with GW paints. Some of them dry completely up within months!
You literally have to open each pot weekly and add a bit of water.
I have 15 year old pots that are still as liquid this day as the day I bought them. If they could make paint like that 15 years ago, why can't they today?

Reaper or Vallejo is the way to go.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 13th, 2017, 7:01 am

Goblin-King wrote:My best results with painting HQ mummies is starting with a brown undercoat, then painstakingly painting each individual bandage bone-white.
Washes and drybrushing can get you so far, but for this particular model I find it just didn't cut it.

Also invest in a can of spraypaint for undercoating your minis. Trust me, it's worth it.
Recently I've started using brown rather than the traditional choices of white or black.
Brown goes well with almost everything. Skin, fur, clothes, bones etc...

I'll also go on record and say I'm finally fed up with GW paints. Some of them dry completely up within months!
You literally have to open each pot weekly and add a bit of water.
I have 15 year old pots that are still as liquid this day as the day I bought them. If they could make paint like that 15 years ago, why can't they today?

Reaper or Vallejo is the way to go.

I concur, except that I don't like the Game Color line from Vallejo much. They are too shiny and, I don't know, latex-y.
Everything else from Vallejo is top-notch, including specialty paints like the alcoholic metal paints.

Reaper Master and Pro Series are very good.
Plus, ScaleColour, Andrea Paints, Formula P3, hell, even Revell Acrylics.
There is so much out there, and the only Games Workshop/Citadel line worth anything is the Shade line. These are great.

For the undercoat Goblin-King is talking about, buy one little bottle of Vallejo Polyurethane Primer in a color you like.
As he says, a neutral tone can go with anything. Medium gray, brown, or olive green, for example.
Dampen your brush just a little - not wet! - take up the paint/primer and slather it on, trying to spread it evenly.
It levels itself out in recesses and on top while drying. Let it sit for a day.

That's your first layer and the primer in one coat.
Alternatively, use Spray Cans from Army Painter or Vallejo. It can be black or white, but both are more difficult to paint over for a beginner.
From there, how you do what is a matter of taste and time.
Watch youtube-videos. A lot of them. For you, I suggest the "Miniature Painting 101" series from Miniwargamer Jay, the first 10 to 12 videos for now
and some "How to" videos from people like "The Apathetic Fish" or "MrWatchingPaintDry" or even "Lester Bursley Miniatures"
to see what they do when and a miniature painted from start to finish.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » June 13th, 2017, 7:13 am

I'll add though... Agrax Earthshade from GW is such a great paint it almost makes up for all the dried up pots.
It's just so useful for a lot of things. And the darkish transparent brown makes it appliable on almost everything.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 13th, 2017, 7:40 am

Goblin-King wrote:I'll add though... Agrax Earthshade from GW is such a great paint it almost makes up for all the dried up pots.
It's just so useful for a lot of things. And the darkish transparent brown makes it appliable on almost everything.

That's why I made sure I included the Shade line as an exception.
Can't be stressed enough, though.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » June 13th, 2017, 8:55 am

I'm learning so much. This is cool stuff.
Would any of you mind posting pics of your finished minis, or links to them? So that I can see the result of the work you're describing?
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures