• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Custom Mercenary Weapons?

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Custom Mercenary Weapons?

Postby GimmeYerGold » August 14th, 2016, 1:26 am

Has anyone made custom inserts for our mercenary friends? For instance I was considering a spell book or staff for a spellcaster mercenary, however, of course, there could be all kinds.

I like how the designers made the mercenaries (man-at-arms) modular, and you could essentially use the same miniature for different types of warriors.

I just want to see more, of course!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Custom Mercenary Weapons?

Postby Anderas » August 14th, 2016, 4:37 am

If nothing else, this is at least a very good proposal for "the next project".

As I am swimming in Miniatures at the moment, my first impulse was to say why not using entire additional models for these mercenaries.
The distinct look of the mercenaries marks them on the game table like the silhouette of the normal models does. So these models are clearly distinguishable from both, the enemy models and the own heroes. This is a good argument for just adding weapon options instead entire models.

What would the skill of a magic user be? Using one spell set? Using a fixed spell set? I would add a fire spell mercenary without thinking, also an Air expert. Earth and Water is more difficult due to the healings. Who would they follow? Any model who pays or only the magic users?

I always had the feeling that mercenaries were there more for the wizard than for the others as option so he also knows where to spend his money and so that he can actively participate in the fighting. It fits with the introduction of additional spells in the WoM pack.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Custom Mercenary Weapons?

Postby Daedalus » September 16th, 2016, 2:59 am

Though the Elf manages just fine, Mercenary armor is too heavy looking for a human spellcaster, in my opinion. Battle Masters, produced as a wargame contemporary of Hero Quest for the same market. It has a crew for the Mighty Cannon that sport an Empire Mercenary look. Perhaps either figure could be used, or both could be combined in a conversion.

UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Miniatures