• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Painted Miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Painted Miniatures

Postby Tomkat364 » December 31st, 2016, 9:10 am

AndYpsilon wrote:Would be great to get some hints by a pro ;)

Best,

Andy

Certainly not a pro, by any means. My technique is very simple, but very time consuming. I generally start with whichever color is deepest on the model, which often happens to be the darkest shade of whichever area I am painting. This way, I don't have to "reach past" areas I have already painted. I use thin paint with multiple coats, preferably Vallejo when I have the right color. I then mix in some of the next brightest color and begin layering, adding more and more of the bright color until I get to the highlight stage. Then finish off with a point highlight of a slightly brighter color than I would have expected to go in the first place. It seems I am always underestimating how much contrast I want until the last step.

The big thing is that I take my time and go over each area multiple times until I get smooth transitions and good coverage. Unlike many painters, I generally do not do washes or dry brushing, as I don't like the results of my attempts with those. But for areas like the ribs on the skeletons, I painted the entire area khaki, and then just picked out each rib with the bonewhite. As simple as that sounds, it took me several tries to get nice, even lines for the ribs, rebasing a spot in khaki and then refining the rib in bone white until I was satisfied with the results.

I hope that helps, but from personal experience, I think practice is much more important than "tips" from others. Tips always make things sound easier than they are, and they are more about personal preferences I think than reproducible techniques. Good luck, and I'd love to see some of your results.

If you have not already done so, I highly recommend watching Sorastro's Imperial Assault painting guides. I don't follow his techniques (see explanation above), but he is highly admired by other beginners and I find his videos very entertaining and soothing, almost like Bob Ross's old videos.
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » December 31st, 2016, 9:56 am

Tomkat364 wrote:I hope that helps, but from personal experience, I think practice is much more important than "tips" from others. Tips always make things sound easier than they are, and they are more about personal preferences I think than reproducible techniques. Good luck, and I'd love to see some of your results.

I completely agree with this.
I could never muster the patience to layer like Tomkat, AG Productions, or Doctor Faust, not for the life of me.
As beautiful as the result is, that amount of clean is visible painstaking patience.

Compared to what I do, it's the utter opposite, personal preference being all that matters with the respective painter themselves and the audience alike.
I find these wild differences in styles as interesting as the pure results themselves.

It's good for a beginner to ask, but finding your own style after some practise is half your path, and having amassed too many tips and recipes beforehand rather limits that experience, I think.
The way Tomkat paints, however, is a good way to be asked about, because replicating the method (layering) is safe and you can expand styles from there if you want.
The main thing is to just start painting and training your eye in seeing color and then replicating it in whatever style or method you find appropriate.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby AndYpsilon » December 31st, 2016, 10:47 am

Thanks a lot for your fast and detailed answers, guys. I'll try some things in the next weeks - let's see if the results are convincing ;)
AndYpsilon

Goblin
Goblin

Postby Benton » February 15th, 2017, 3:48 am

AndYpsilorn wrote:Thanks a lot for showing everyone the benefits of D-Bal Max and for your fast and detailed answers, guys. I'll try some things in the next weeks - let's see if the results are convincing ;)

Cool, I love the green on the goblins.
Last edited by Benton on March 23rd, 2022, 11:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Benton

Postby Figomurphy » February 15th, 2017, 8:11 am

Great painting advice. Thanks.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 21st, 2017, 5:27 pm

The Skeletons were stunning. Sooo...any plans for a new monster set :?:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Tomkat364 » April 6th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Daedalus wrote:The Skeletons were stunning. Sooo...any plans for a new monster set :?:

Patience! I'm working on it. Almost complete with the third fimir, but my 3 year old decided to try and paint some red on it yesterday. Luckily got the only part that wasn't yet painted, so not a big delay, but I still have three more to do. Hoping to bust them out before May.
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » May 22nd, 2017, 2:21 pm

I know I'm late to the party, so apologies for resurrecting (pun intended...) this thread, but I just had to comment on how superbly well-painted your minis are. I can totally understand you getting burnt out on doing such meticulous work, but the results are stunning.

Can't wait to see more of your work.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Tomkat364 » May 29th, 2017, 1:37 pm

Well, I finished the fimirs. Below are some pictures, as always a bit more on my blog: https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com

And the whole group, including some with gemstones:

Please let me know what you think. Love constructive criticism, especially in regard to wood. I need some help getting a better method for painting wood, if you could give pointers and/or references.
Tomkat364

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 29th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Fantastic highlighting on the skin and escpecially the gold/brass!

Wood: NEver have gotten the hang of it myself, but I tend to use colors that complement already exisiting colors on the mini.
My wood on these Fimir would have become a little more reddish than yours and a little lighter.
I try to do wood in more steps, going back and forth with lights and darks and several washes and such.

But I do like how your wood looks. It's very dark, so it looks polished, but aesthetically it's absolutely fine this way.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures