• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Atlantis miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Atlantis miniatures

Postby Sparkymark » August 1st, 2015, 5:35 am

Anyone back the kickstarter from Atlantis Miniatures for Goblins, Orcs and Trolls?
It ended yesterday with 260 backers. They look very detailed and less cartoony than GW minis, not sure how they would fit in with Heroquest. They plan on doing other fantasy monsters in the future.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Atlantis miniatures

Postby Thantos » August 1st, 2015, 7:21 am

Oo is there a link? :D
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » August 1st, 2015, 8:18 am

I havn't learnt how to do links yet can someone who knows how put it on?
They are very detailed like your stuff Thantos. I pledged in for the Goblin core set.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » August 1st, 2015, 8:31 am

Google knows the link :P https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/16 ... escription

Looking like nice sculpts. I like the fresh take on the goblins, something different to the GW style.
Only i thing i notice is that some of those geometries are impossible to cast without breaking up the model into very small parts, or tearing up the moulds in a couple of casts. (helix rams horns, chains etc etc etc) so i think they will have to do a good few revisions, but that's expected with digital minis (we know too well -.- lol)
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » September 3rd, 2016, 8:25 am

Just an update. Some of my goblins arrived from Atlantis Miniatures. From the left; wizard, executioner, brute, adventurer and assasin.
image.jpeg

They are very detailed and much less comical than the GW goblins. I still wait for the infantry set which should be more basic looking and perhaps more fitting to Heroquest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » September 4th, 2016, 2:02 am

Wow. Just wow.
I think these are absolutely great, and if I ever would go for goblins, these would be the ones.
Only complayn would be the wolves. That's a thing no company seems to be able doing right... just don't look like wolves...
Thantos is probably right about making actually molds for these.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 4th, 2016, 2:23 am

It's fantasy, and even regular animals adapted from this string of reality need to fit into styles of companies selling them.
That being said, I don't want regular looking wolves as mounts for any kind of race.
Our wolves stand for pride and sovereignty if you ask me.
It's just plain weird to see a wolf mounted by a goblin, the more realistic it looks the weirder.

But that's me, always begging for the fantasy world to be considered such.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » September 4th, 2016, 4:20 am

For starters they are being sold as "Wargs" not "wolves".
So they are supposed to be monsters not "just" wolves.

I agree with kk that any given miniature needs to be in the style of the setting. A cartoony goblin on a realistic wolf would indeed look bad.
But I do think any given creature that exist in the real world can easily be just a regular creature. As long as the style fits.
If the miniatures have big heads and hands, then a 100% realistic wolf would look scrawny.
But you could exaggerate the features of a normal wolf to fit the style without having to add "fantasy" elements.

I've always liked the classic plastic wolves from Warhammer:

This particular model from Gamezone is really cool as well

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 4th, 2016, 4:35 am

As an example, the GW Wargs are as far from Wolves in name as in appearance.
Tolkien first adapted something evil from the basic appearance of a wolf,
initially the Wargs being just bigger and meaner, but still looking like wolves (presumably).

Peter Jackson et al. (and by extension, GW) saw the would-be mistake in just applying this wolf-appearance to their wargs and made them look way more evil and monstrous.

A wolf is just too "noble" to be mounted by an Orc or Goblin. And too small/scrawny.
And here we go. What any miniature manufacturer does when applying the concept is exaggerating the size of a wolf to make it fit proportionally,
and there we walk into the realm of fantasy by inventing at least a new species of bigger, meaner wolf.
That species can have whatever look fits the company style and their other prerogatives, but it needn't be fully realistic.
Last edited by knightkrawler on September 4th, 2016, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sparkymark » September 4th, 2016, 9:53 am

I agree alot with what Kk says. Heres a teenage me painted heroquest goblin, just to compare. See how pewny he looks. They definitly have upped the protein in there diets now :D
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Sparkymark

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures