• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby knightkrawler » Wednesday July 13th, 2016 11:46pm

Anderas wrote:The Grime is in fact just the choice of colors. It's a black spraycan foundation, blue airbrush foundation on top, and a yellow "normal" brush layer that was thinned enough not to cover entirely. So in the parts where it is not entirely covering, the blue and yellow mixes to "grime" grey. I like it, too, and it is on the list in my head to "repeat it!!".

That is thinking outside the box when painting. That is where the fun comes from even when cranking out entire regiments with speedpainting.
The possibilities are endless.
Always do something you didn't expect from yourself and you're fine in regards to the fun factor.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday July 14th, 2016 1:26am

Yes, that's exactly what makes me paint zombicide.

You don't need to paint regiments of the same model over and over with the same color, well, maybe except for the Deadeye Walkers.

You can paint each model as individual, and make experiments.

From left to right, i was trying:
* On the first model, i tried a very dark new red that i never tried before, and highlighted it with two glazes of a very bright red. The only reason it is not screaming red is because of the dark red base. I was liking the result so much that i applied it to the Necromancer. I had to try new reds because my old red from the 90's will be empty soon and it's like loosing a good friend.
* On the second model, i tried what happens if i darken a very light yellow base color with a thin layer of blue from the airbrush. This frosty appearance is just great, in the highlights it shimmers yellow, somewhere else it is a lot of blue. I will reuse it somewhere, just don't know yet where.
* On the third model i tried a relatively fat layer of yellow on a dark black-blue spray foundation. Fat was necessary because it wouldn't cover the base color otherwise, but it worked well. Mainly it worked because the model was highlighted already with the base colors. So in the dark areas the yellow is grimey, in the light areas it is quite yellow.
* On the model to the right, i made a sandy layer from the airbrush over a black layer from the spraycan, and then i tried if i am able to apply bone colored highlights with the Airbrush. That was a mishap, apparently i am not yet able to do that.

And the best is, instead of being angry with myself and looking eternally at each failure during the games, these are just zombies. I didn't even remove the mold lines. I just go on to the next. So there is a great success and a mishap next to each other? That's okay! They're zombies! I still have a dozen or so zombies to do before i have them really really finished.

I once painted an orc unit of 30 orcs. It was also the only time that i really made a unit of new Orcs from GW. Normally i had a good mix of 1 new orc on 10 ebay orcs just for the bits. :)
30 times these crazily overdetailed models that GW does. Afterwards i said i never want to do 30 times the same again.

Afterwards i turned to make other models, like for example this one.
That was more fun. :) Even if it was not very helpful in terms of play value. :)

He may play now with the big guys.

The main reason i did orcs was that i could do more or less what i want in terms of modelling.
The main reason i like painting zombicide is that i can do more or less what i want in terms of painting.

That's cool.

well, my wife says no but i think it's cool. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » Saturday July 16th, 2016 12:52pm

Le'sigh... Seeing your Zombicide minis make me itch to paint mine faster.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » Sunday July 17th, 2016 8:41am

Airbrush failure:

Having too dry paint in the airbrush means you have little dots everywhere.
To equalize i tried to paint a lot of thin layers.
It didn't work. Instead i had a lot of brush stripes.

well ok, for playing it's good enough!

Plus, i will paint this mini very soon:

even if most of the details were eaten up by the enamel paint layer.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday July 29th, 2016 4:50pm

I did it. I painted a enamel coated broken elf now. And the Wizard.

For some of it i had to invent details that were not there, but to be honest, these two were easy compared to what followed.
For the Elf, the upper parts of his boots were painted as trouser so that the broken part is less apparent. It works! :)

Afterwards came the dwarf. Wow. I had three dwarfs on the table, Ampersands, Thantos' and the original.
Ampersand's is not yet painted - i didn't have the time.
The original was really really a problem. I had to paint a lot of details that were just not there. I tried to emulate the dwarf of the Hero Card, not the one from the Game box. It was really really difficult!
Thantos' dwarf was self-painting in comparison. It used maybe a tenth of the time and looks better nevertheless!

Sorry for the bad quality of the big photo

What followed was a couple of Fimirs. The first one was still easy, but...

He was too much human skinned. I wanted him to be more reptilian, so i highlighted him a bit with yellow, and shaded him with green.
And i took the challenge to paint this, erm, Fomor. Difficult. Washes were not possible because of some irregularities on the model. So i had to paint layer by layer, and then i covered my biggest failures with a lot of dark dots. :D The Eye was copied from Sjeng's photo today.

Every Fimir will have a different color and have a different tattoo, but somewhere there will always be green on the model.

Well. In total, i like the results of this week! :)

For a complete Heroquest set there is just a few Orcs missing, then i have everything needed up to Rotlw and Kellar's Keep. Then i can concentrate a little bit on digital again, continuing with my card set. :) Theoretically. Because i have already plans for stone warriors (will be green marble) and crossbow orcs. And all the furniture of Thantos.

Does anybody know good crossbow orc models?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday July 29th, 2016 5:18pm

Anderas wrote:Does anybody know good crossbow orc models?

Yes, old Citadel metal models. They go naturally well with HQ Orcs - same size, same style of faces...
They shouldn't be too expensive on ebay, maybe 5 bucks apiece.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Saturday July 30th, 2016 4:11am

Anderas wrote:So this one was carrying a light source? I took the challenge and did object source lighting. I think it went wrong. :)

At least i tried!

I just went through all your Z:BP pictures. oh, my Goddess, so cool. So FAST! Ugh, I'll never get anything done :'(

1 tip: fire. check the artwork and your torch. bright inside, darker outside. ;)

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday January 27th, 2018 9:24am

So i did a heroquest model again. Finally. :)
I tried to follow at least partly the artwork on the HQ Box. Man they had problems with colors in the eighties. :lol:

The base needs a last rework to have the lower part black, but then that's it hopefully.
It's so rare an occasion that i paint, each time i have to relearn. :?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Saturday January 27th, 2018 11:29am

So that's the whole yield of today. :D
That's so good. Yesterday evening 19:54 i received the message that i have passed all the tests for my study. Now i have time again :)

By Zealotminiatures / Thantos

It's a great mini. Only the glue interfaces are too small, like so often.

Then two goblins. Those kinds of minis always get some color if there is some other mini currently drying. Those two here were over two years in the making; because they were getting always only the "rest" of the color. :D

Finally, they have a new boss, too. The Ork Shaman is really an ugly mini, difficult to paint, ugly model, bad cast, also the sculpt somehow not really representing the status that the mini has in the game.
At least i can say "i have them all" now. :)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » Sunday January 28th, 2018 10:27am

Beautiful painting as always!
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures