• Advertisement

My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby el_flesh » Sunday March 29th, 2015 10:46am

cut those projecting pieces and you can change the angles of the arms all over! wooooooooooo!!!!
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Thursday May 7th, 2015 11:05am

After Months, i was finally able to take a decent photo. Phew! :)

Here they are, all the Goblins I have. They are quite old GW Goblins. I bought them in the silly hope that i would be able to use them as 40k Gretchins - no way - but now they have their proper use.

You Guys with more experience than i have: Are they enough?
5 with Spears
4 with Bows
2 with Sabres
1 with a trumpet to alert the neighbour room.

Finally, i was adding half an hour more because I forgot all the shield backsides and all the Weapon poles in the first try :oops:
Maybe, if someone has a good idea for the Shields, i will touch them again.

They are made for gaming, not for the showcase. Nevertheless, I like my models to look decent. These are Goblins, so they are not overly colorful - they shall not steal the show if a bigger better model is on the table!

I still have to learn how to take decent photos.I turned off all special effects the camera might possess, i used 2 seconds delay and manually adjusted F to 22 (with the consequence of having nearly half a second opening time)... Somehow i am still not satisfied. Maybe it's just me.

]Image

This photo shows the biggest factor I can get with my camera. It doesn't have a macro function.

The last two photos show the best reason why I am so slow to paint. :mrgreen:
My two year's old Daughter was discovering my models. She immediately identified the skeleton as "evil", and correct so.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday May 7th, 2015 11:59am

For the purposes you mentioned, I'd just drybrush the shields with a bone color, but only in places. Then wash it with a brown or sepia and you're done.
I do like the skin and the blendings like on the bow, as well as the helmet. Nice effects.
The little pinkish touch on the nose tips make the minis pop sufficiently without distracting from their greenliness.

12 Goblins are definitely enough. If only a lot of goblins with basic stats are needed, then you can just use them all and end debates about the bows with threatening "Ah, so you do want them to have ranged attacks?"
If different kinds are needed, it's "What you see is what you get" in stats and special rules.
I do the same with my minis. Everyone looks different and can be used individually and with stats derived from equipment and I'm very happy about that decision instead of trying to write up stats for every variation on some mini.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » Thursday May 7th, 2015 6:56pm

I reckon they're looking great! I have just bought some of those shields too. I thought I'd stick them on some of the original orcs and maybe the odd goblin, they should suit them okay yeah?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday May 8th, 2015 9:53am

They're definitely big enough for HQ orcs.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Friday May 8th, 2015 10:05am

Yes - The HQ Orcs are not much bigger than these GW Goblins.

I painted my first Zombie now. Two things:
I don't like at all the look of the zombie. I think an company like GW should be able to deliver better things.

He was sleeping 15 years in my desk along with more of his kind. I assembled four with long weapons and one with a short weapon, and I hope that Gamezones will deliver better Zombies.

Ok, now the second thing:
I don't think he looks dead enough! Why not?

Last not least, the light for the photo has been awful again.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday May 8th, 2015 10:49am

Oh god, how I hate those GW Zombies.
Easily the most horrible multipart plastic box out there.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » Friday May 8th, 2015 11:16am

He does not look dead (apart from the GW mini being terrible) because the flesh tone is too bright. Try using your bone color as the flesh base. Then add the red/purple details as you have them. The flesh will look dead then.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday May 8th, 2015 11:32am

Do you have recommended Zombies? At the moment I just want to paint instead of wait :)

White Beard;
I tried this on the zombie:

A greenish yellowish sand tone as main skin color;
a bruised red here and there, (it is a red half the way down to purple, and greyish - really ugly :) )
and blue in all recesses;

and then i tried to soften the transitions.

And well, a bruised red --> greenish Yellow sand tone transition in fact, looks like.... skin of a white person. A super-underwhelming result for a lot of work! :)

Thanks Whitebeard, the next Zombie is waiting (possibly some weeks now :roll: )

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday May 8th, 2015 12:23pm

On my Zombies I used every off-white EXCEPT a reddish one which looks like fresh, vivid skin color.
I used Ice Yellow, Duck Egg Green, and Ghost Grey. Then I shaded down with washes and glazes (purple and athonian camoshade) and in places Fleshshade.
Not too much red in there, which made all the difference in my eyes.
In the meantime, I painted up another Zombie. A medium greygreen with a darker bluegrey in the shades (wet blending as a basecoat), lightened up with I guess Ice Yellow.
This also looks good, but very very different from those in my gallery.
Ice Yellow is becoming my go-to highlight mixing color.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures