• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My minis

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: My minis

Postby QorDaq » March 29th, 2016, 1:01 am

Good call on the Sandstone for the dungeon elements, they look great.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » March 29th, 2016, 7:14 am

The Road Warrior wrote:+1 for the stone. I would love I see a step by step tutorial as stone is something that has always troubled me.

Step by step; i guess there the exact colors are also important:

* Buy Doorways from Thantos :D
* Put GW Ogryn Camo (light desaturated green) with Vallejo "Diluant" in the airbrush and make a good base cover with it. (sorry i don't know the english name for that... it's NOT just thinner, it is also the acrylic medium itself inside... It makes that the thick GW color fits through the small airbrush muzzle)

As an airbrush is somehow always too full for a single miniature, do this step for 10 or 15 Doors at a time.

* Use some heavy layer of Sepia (i used my very old, OLD GW Gryphonne Sepia)

The Sepia fills the gaps and recesses with dark color, a thing that normally shall be done by black primer, but i didn't use primer. However, the washes normally take their time to dry, so i am lucky here that i did 15 doors at a time - i could continue even when the others were not yet dry. After 15 doors, it was still not completely dry, so i was making something to eat for my wife and kid.

* Open your favorite GW orange and see that it is dried out because i didn't close it properly half a year ago.
* open a new can of your favorit GW orange and see that it is still fresh.
* Tau "Light Ocre" is the name of this particular orange. It doesn't scream like fluorescent orange, and it is quite thin, and leans a little bit on the yellow side. GW-typical, it is not at all desaturated but quite colored, so the de-saturation had to be done by the underlying green. This was why i was using it.

I put it on the wet palette, because i still think it was too thick. Then i did a very rough, non-clean step of not-dry drybrushing. Normally you avoid having not-dry brushes for drybrushing, i didn't, because i wanted the orange to be everywhere. Nevertheless, i did not PAINT it very carefully like i normally do with miniatures, but i used the brush like in drybrushing - putting the color about everywhere, just sparing the recesses filled with sepia. I repeated that step maybe two or three times, caring that the brush was a little bit dryer each time.
In the recesses, where the orange was not so thick, the orange and green mix to a desaturated grey-ish yellow. In the parts more to the front, it is really orange now. It the corners, it is still green. That's cool because it transports the unhealthy environment a cellar or dungeon represents. :D Well. If my players care to look. I will see.

* Last Color was a very light yellowish beige/khaki. I was just looking up the GW Name: "Flayed one flesh". Well. I guess any name will do.

That color was applied via drybrushing, the real drybrushing, careful to have not one trace too much on the brush because i didn't want to leave stripes. The color takes away the strongest orange accents, and adds these stone-like bright breaking lines that you have very often on dry stone.

Finally, to have a good contrast and stay in the warm color scheme, i added dark brown to all metal parts, dotted it with two different orange colors so that it really appears to be super-rusty, and brushed very gently with a dark metal tone of Vallejo. Just so much that you could see "here was metal once" but light enough to let the rust shine through everywhere.
I love it. It just set my dungeon stone color standard.

I have the color pots here for a visual impression and some of the painting steps. As said, i did a lot of them as batch painting, so i don't have all the intermediate steps here. :)

Last edited by Anderas on March 29th, 2016, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 29th, 2016, 7:40 am

It's a really, really good recipe. I hope I'll remember to use it somewhere in my dungeon.
One major gripe though: It's brush for Pinsel, not pen. A pen is a Kugelschreiber, among other things.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » March 29th, 2016, 8:12 am

Ah merde I was of course not using a Kugelschreiber this time. :D

I will have to correct some words I guess. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 29th, 2016, 9:21 am

Anderas wrote:Ah merde I was of course not using a Kugelschreiber this time. :D

I will have to correct some words I guess. :D

There are mini painters out there using very fancy techniques.
I love your French Artist's "Ah merde!" |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » March 29th, 2016, 1:37 pm

I think the real south french would have said "Putain" :) So it was kind of Frangleman. :lol:

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » March 29th, 2016, 4:08 pm

I love that word... I always think of it when President Putin is in the news :P (I don't much like the man).

That sandstone is amazing! definitely will use that one day. Good job!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Thantos » March 30th, 2016, 5:53 am

Awesome paintjob :D great to see these brought to life!
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 30th, 2016, 7:45 am

I can make some photos on white background for your Webshop if you want.

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Thantos » March 31st, 2016, 10:25 am

That would be great thanks :D
We had some professional photos for the store done with the first shoot on wednesday, and will be putting these in the store shortly.
Will definitely add some painted pics to a site gallery!
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures