• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Rookery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: The Rookery

Postby Redav » March 29th, 2015, 12:47 am

Pitbullsandaks wrote:With your skills, you better do the furniture sometime!

Agreed!

So, one of the guys at work who gets into 40k (I think) flicked me a new set of Vallejo starter Toray brushes. There's a drybrush P55.004, P515 #01 and a P515 #3/0. How useful are these brushes (yes, better than none)? I'm thinking that if I try painting anything, I'll start with some of Thanto's doors and some furniture before stepping up to mini's. Also, what colours / washes could be good to start with for doors? I'm nut hung up with GW over Vallejo. I'm sure price will be more important early on until I decide whether I want to go the whole hog.
Last edited by Redav on March 29th, 2015, 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » March 29th, 2015, 3:09 am

For wood:
A brown that you like, but slightly lighter than the end result.
A bone color to draw the lines or drybrush.
A brown wash. Agrax Earthshade is perfect.

For stone:
An off-white (Ivory from Vallejo Model Color).
A black as matt as possible (GW's Abaddon black is rubbish).
- You mix your different greys out of those yourself
Washes, washes, washes: A collection of the GW shades, among them as a must: Athonian Camoshade and Nuln Oil.
Use the Agrax Earthshade for stone, too. Mix the washes wildly.

These are basic colors for everyday need, anyway. You can't go wrong with them.

Once you start working on your miniatures yourself, make sure you do have the right brushes. Windsor & Newton Series 7. The regular line, not the miniature line!
Everybody tells you that. They are right. No need to go revolutionary.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » April 5th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Have thoroughly enjoyed browsing this thread. top stuff man :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Harry » April 23rd, 2015, 3:48 pm

Wonderful stuff. You are going to have a great looking set.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Redav » April 25th, 2015, 4:05 am

Rook wrote:Yep, just Simple Green. There is stronger stuff available, which I may need for some of these models, but for the most part I get decent results without having something too strong kicking around the house.

Scrub them down and then prime again. Good as new :)

Do you use the concentrate by itself or is it watered down at all?
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 6th, 2015, 1:56 pm

With all the good word and interest in this thread, I would have liked to have seen the pics. Alas, the photobucket images are gone. :(
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 6th, 2015, 2:27 pm

I can see everything. In the thread where you complained yesterday, everything showed up for me, too, if I recall correctly.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » June 6th, 2015, 4:37 pm

OK, it was a problem with Opera. I just switched to Internet Explorer and they can be seen just fine. Gonna shut my trap and revisit a few threads. Thanks for the word.

[Wow! That's a great looking set you're building, Rook. I'm looking forward to revisiting this topic.-edit]
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 6th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Wouldn't want you to miss The Rookery...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby BrushStroke » July 2nd, 2015, 10:37 am

Hi Rookery :D

Firstly, thanks for the kind credit for my minis and the base style

More importantly, congrats on an awesome looking set... your work is lovely .... I REALLY should get my finger out and finish mine
Follow my painting jibber jabber on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/brush.stroke.77
BrushStroke

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures