Page 1 of 28

knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 11:14am
by knightkrawler
So, guess what!?
I started painting today. The first three results:

Image

Feedback, please.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 11:48am
by TMU
Nonono stop that. I hate these :p

Better than mine :(

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 11:49am
by knightkrawler
Oh, c'mon, you have 16 years ahead of you to practise that I haven't.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 11:59am
by GimmeYerGold
I can only offer praise since I've never painted a mini with more than one color :)

Your tones are very nice--I like the bones especially. The touch of purple flesh rot on the mummy is a nice color detail. I also like what you did with the orc's cleaver.

Bonus points for keeping the original HQ bases!

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 12:12pm
by TMU
knightkrawler wrote:Oh, c'mon, you have 16 years ahead of you to practise that I haven't.

:( I guess so then...

But serously, awezome!

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 12:49pm
by IvenBach
Much better than my first attempts. I'd say to thin down the paint a bit. The best advice I got came from mophus who told me that he has to paint everything twice on account of how much he thins his paints. I've come to rather do that and preserve the detail than get it coated once and loose some of the detail. Did you drybrush your mummy? It seems like in the crevices there should be more filth than there is. On your skeletons foot you have some of the grey creeping up onto his foot. Solid effort for first time, again better than my firsts.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 12:59pm
by Goblin-King
The rust effect is very nicely done in particular.
You picked a delicious bone colour. I like the simple bases. Overall very nice - especially for a first try!

While I can appreciate an orc having dark rotten teeth I think it would work better in a lighter more visible colour. Use the bone colour from the skeleton! Then maybe mix a tad of brown at the bottom.

The orc's ayes aren't as visible as they could be. My guess is that you painted red on top of green? Red is a terrible colour to paint on top of things with.
The trick here is to first paint the sockets either total black or very dark green. Then paint the eyes white, and THEN paint them red.

A possibility - but by no means a must! - is to paint thin light brown stripes along the scythe's handle. Personally I find pure brown smooth wood a little boring.
Image

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 1:01pm
by knightkrawler
IvenBach wrote:I'd say to thin down the paint a bit.


Good eye. Says a great deal about you have improved yourself. I agree, I was a little impatient with thinning down. If I paint that way on a more detailed mini it's gonna be a wreck. Thin down paint, duly noted.

IvenBach wrote:Did you drybrush your mummy? It seems like in the crevices there should be more filth than there is.


The mummy is by far the worst of the three. Yes, drybrushed, but much too bright in the end. But it's gonna be saved, I think.

IvenBach wrote:On your skeletons foot you have some of the grey creeping up onto his foot.


Let's call it dirt, shall we?
I still have to touch up the eyes on Mummy and Skeleton. I decided on a bright green glow in the eyes of all my undead who are controlled by necromancy. Purple for black magic.
Tips, for green glowing eyes, anyone? Should I try to put something of an eyeball in there, liquid green stuff with a toothpick, and then paint over that?

@ TMU and GyG: Thanks, guys...

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 1:05pm
by knightkrawler
Goblin-King wrote:The rust effect is very nicely done in particular.
You picked a delicious bone colour. I like the simple bases. Overall very nice - especially for a first try!

While I can appreciate an orc having dark rotten teeth I think it would work better in a lighter more visible colour. Use the bone colour from the skeleton! Then maybe mix a tad of brown at the bottom.

The orc's ayes aren't as visible as they could be. My guess is that you painted red on top of green? Red is a terrible colour to paint on top of things with.
The trick here is to first paint the sockets either total black or very dark green. Then paint the eyes white, and THEN paint them red.

A possibility - but by no means a must! - is to paint thin light brown stripes along the scythe's handle. Personally I find pure brown smooth wood a little boring.


I agree with all of this. The Orc's teeth, I must admit, I simply forgot to highlight. Skeleton bone was the plan color for that, yeah.
Scythe will be touched up, too.
For the Orc's eyes, you guessed right. I knew about the problem with red, so I tried a bright reddish orange, which came out as the right color, but not in the intensity I wanted. Thought I could pull it off, trial tried, error done.

Thanks for the tips, I will implement all of them.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

PostPosted: Monday October 28th, 2013 10:50pm
by el_flesh
Check Goblin King's Skel - it has these highlights on it. Your skel will look loads better with some highlights, too!

Love the mummy and the Orc.