• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knightkrawler's gallery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

Postby Anderas » March 30th, 2015, 9:34 am

Yes, but maybe in your own Gallery. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » March 30th, 2015, 9:49 am

Obviously, but they are not as good as yours Andreas I'm afraid but still.
Have to charge my camera first then decide what minis will get the photo treatment.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Harry » April 23rd, 2015, 12:51 pm

OK read every post.
What a great thread. Really good read. What a nice chap you must be ... and what a journey you have been on.

A few thoughts ....

Love the pale orcs ... love them ... great minis and really original take on Orcs that I have not seen before .....and to pull that off a break in painting for 8 months. Wow! Takes me quite a few poor paint jobs to get my eye back in even after a couple of months off.

Mostly I was blown away by how courageous you are ... as an inexperienced painter you have not been shy to try so many techniques we normally only see from experienced painters. NMM OSL Wet palettes, wet blending did I even see some of that contrasting colour shading the best French and Spanish painters do so well? my sense of it is your bravery, all the experimentation ... it has paid off as in the few pages of this thread I can see not just obvious improvement in the quality of your work but in the development of a personal style.

I noticed it most in the recent skeletons where lots of earlier exxperiments came together to produce some great minis. your work has a wonderful, gritty, reality to it which is in huge contrast to my own much more cartoony style ... I would call it a painterly style ... you are almost treating the miniature like a canvas.

...and I had thought to say all of this as I was reading this thread before I ever got to the post where you stated your 'painting goals' ... and suddenly it all made sense ...

You should be very proud of everything you have achieved so far. My only advice is to paint more often. Paint, paint, paint....and paint some more.

I genuinely look forward to seeing what's next.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 23rd, 2015, 1:51 pm

I feel like a schoolgirl now. This nearly makes me cry and touch myself in funny places afterwards.
But once my pictures get better, you'll see the flaws.

In regards to the contrasting color shading. I try and will continue to do that, especially with green tones, darkened with reds or violets. It's just beautiful and yields so much more than just using a triad of dark green - dark/medium green - medium green.
There's really no need to lighten everything with white or a bone color and darken everything with black and even less need to buy any given color triad offered.
You'll get amazing results when you use a thin dark blue shade on a brown.

The courage you speak off is derived from hours and hours of youtube. Watching all those people paint miniatures in every style imaginable and unimaginable - from the anal-retentive formulaic to the commission-speedpainting to the artisti - before I even started and botched too much for my lacking patience to handle is the backbone of what I do. There is no wrong way of painting a miniature.
I fraggled up the skin of my first Ogre by making the bluish-grey shadow too harsh with a new technique I've never tried: starting with the base and then glazing in three steps of shadows before highlighting. Try again, same technique, will be better. It's all part of the fun, really.

Many, many thanks, Harry. Appreciated more than you would believe.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 11th, 2015, 6:14 am

I've been painting the villains for my base set, Orks, Sylvans, and Undead.
Everything needs to be based.
In the meantime, my Dungeoncrawler, named with a vengeance:

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » October 11th, 2015, 8:24 am

your best paint job yet in my opinion. can definitely see youve been doing your research and practice. |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » October 11th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Ossum!
How did you do the gunky bits?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 11th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Thanks, guys. |_P
The saliva is Uhu Alleskleber mixed with green paint and a little dallop of water for fluidity. I think I used the Citadel Nurgle's Rot Technical paint.
Set the stuff where you want it to start and pull it with a toothpick. Then cautiously put gloops where wanted.
if you mess up, it's easily disposed of.
Alleskleber is amazing stuff for modelers. You can achieve amazing blood with it, some Tamiya Clear red paint and some dark paint like VMC Dark Sea Blue.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » October 11th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Hahaha der ist genial! Schönes Modell aber falscher Maßstab ^^ :) :D :p

Very good - there's a cold-warm contrast almost as in Lord of the Rings,

it is slimy as it should be,

there is a dark-light contrast,

and i just like it a lot lot lot!

Well done. You always keep saying "once i am a good painter..." Just get back on the details, a tattoo here and there... or for animals, a marking like on the back of snakes, and you're there. I always had the opinion that they do it just to hide some painting failures with some awesomeness. Here you have the possibility to show you risk exactly that on a 90% airbrushed model so the advantage is gone :shock: , but the awesomeness in case of success stays, :o just like the risk :? .

Do you accept the challenge? :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 11th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Anderas wrote:Hahaha der ist genial! Schönes Modell aber falscher Maßstab ^^ :) :D :p

|_P That's a clever insider, for all you guys wondering what he's talkin' about.

Anderas wrote:Well done. You always keep saying "once i am a good painter..." Just get back on the details, a tattoo here and there... or for animals, a marking like on the back of snakes, and you're there. I always had the opinion that they do it just to hide some painting failures with some awesomeness. Here you have the possibility to show you risk exactly that on a 90% airbrushed model so the advantage is gone :shock: , but the awesomeness in case of success stays, :o just like the risk :? .

Do you accept the challenge? :D

Perhaps on another model. This one might get too busy with things going on. Maybe I'll add pigments and mud effects at some point, but for now he's done.
More practice model than serious... highlighting purple/goop effects/my first serious base etc.
There are more important models on my table, many of them almost finished, all of them need basing.

Other models, especially the heroes, will receive some freehand.
Also, pigments, crayons, warpaint, OSL, TMM, monochrome scale, three-color-pallette... there's so much I have tried, but there's more I still need (and want) to do.
I'm looking forward to walking the line between gaming and vignette pieces.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures