• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

knightkrawler's gallery

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: knightkrawler's gallery

Postby ampersand » February 12th, 2015, 2:25 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
After seeing Ampersand's new stuff and reading his blog, I went and ordered a goddamn photo box.
Found one for 25 bucks, cheap enough for testing and putting it on ebay if I'm not satisfied.
I desperately want to be able to take better pics.

Thanks again.

please tell me you didnt buy a foldio? lol

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » February 12th, 2015, 3:41 pm

I did search for them, but they are only available on Amazon for between 59 and 212 Euros. Outrageous. The difference alone gives me the heebiejeebies about which seller might be a fraud and which an even bigger fraud. Also, from Korea and even further away. Ridiculous.

So I chose a nameless 40cm cubic box with four different backdrops, two LED strips, and a tripod to boot.
Looking forward to trying the thing out and show you guys less blurred colors and more obvious mistakery.
But thanks for the kick in my lazy arse. |_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 13th, 2015, 2:31 pm

Off-topic, but still concerning this thread as I presented pictures of my attik showing the Marvel Comic Collection...
A different publisher is doing the same for DC as I have expected for some time now.
Slightly different style but same price and faster (weekly, which is gonna make complete collections rarer than the Marvel one).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 7th, 2015, 7:22 am

I can't seem to be freakin' able to take a decent picture of my miniatures.
I have the following:
- a digicam
- a light box with two lamps
- a white, a black, a red, and a blue backdrop

Can anyone tell me a recipe for the right settings of everything?
Especially the camera settings?
I can't figure out *lemony goodness*, nothing improves, everything results in the same quality you guys can see in this thread, and I'm really pissed at everything photographic right now.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » March 7th, 2015, 8:25 am

knightkrawler wrote:I can't seem to be freakin' able to take a decent picture of my miniatures.
I have the following:
- a digicam
- a light box with two lamps
- a white, a black, a red, and a blue backdrop

Can anyone tell me a recipe for the right settings of everything?
Especially the camera settings?
I can't figure out *lemony goodness*, nothing improves, everything results in the same quality you guys can see in this thread, and I'm really pissed at everything photographic right now.

I could try and help but I have no experience with a light box.

a few questions that might point you in the right direction..
  • What do you want to change/think is wrong with you photos?
  • What settings do you currently use on your camera?
  • Can manually adjust aperture, ISO and exposure length, I think you can do this on most cameras nowadays. If you can, and you haven't already, read up on how to correctly use and adjust these three settings.
  • Do you hold your camera or use a stand when photographing your minis? I use a Gorillapod and remote trigger when taking mine.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » March 7th, 2015, 10:44 am

I think what's wrong with my pictures is basically that the colors are represented wrong and blurry and too light overall.

Settings now: no flash, lights from left and right of the model, daylight bulb above my head, the shadows are eliminated appropriately, overall everything is just too light and... pasty? I don 't know...
ISO is automatic as well as the White Balance, I think.
I haven't used the tripod, which I'll probably try next.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » March 7th, 2015, 11:36 am

well I am by no means an expert photographer but I'll help where I can.

knightkrawler wrote:I think what's wrong with my pictures is basically that the colors are represented wrong and blurry and too light overall.

A blurry image is most likely the result of camera movement while the shutter is open. Using your tripod should help with this. If you have, or can get a remote trigger for your camera use this as it will eliminate movement in the camera when you press the shutter release. If a remote trigger isn't an option use the time delay option on your shutter release. Press the button, step away and wait for the camera to do it's thing. Another cause of blur could be a wide aperture, meaning your camera physically cannot focus on all of your miniature because it's 'depth of focus' is too small. It could even be something as simple as a mucky lens.

I think if the 'colors are represented wrong' then its' probably the white balance that is set wrong. If you are lucky enough to be able to shoot in RAW you can actually adjust the white balance after taking the image but this requires the correct computer software. Your camera will probably have come with something suitable to do this if RAW is an option.

Check your camera instruction manual. If you can manually set the ISO, aperture and shutter speed learn how and read a few beginner tutorials on the internet on camera exposure (this is probably all I have done) and your photos will quickly improve.

Finally, if none of the above is an option try stepping away from the light box and artificial light. Set your miniatures up next to a window, with lots of natural light and see if your camera produces better images in these conditions. You can reflect natural light back onto your minis with a large sheet of white paper to fill in the shadows in a similar way to how the reflector is being used in this picture.

I hope some of this helps. As I said I am by no means an expert and not knowing the full capabilities of your camera it's difficult to offer advice.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ampersand » March 7th, 2015, 12:51 pm

with so much lighting try some of these changes

- manually alter iso setting as low as possible.
- of course ensure you are using macro mode lol
- try tinkering with the exposure settings also.

exposure and iso setting will generally lower the brightness of the image.

but i think your images are pretty good lighting wise. i would say the biggest problem you have is that your images are out of focus.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 7th, 2015, 1:16 pm

If it is a small digicam without much options, just use something grey as Background. The small cams do have an automatic white balance internally, which correctly adjusts if something with a middle brightness fills most of the picture. Try for example the photo Backgrounds of massive voodoo.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Thank you all, guys, there are some tips in there that I haven't thought about.
I'll come back with - hopefully - better pictures.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures