• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Barbarian Incarnate

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Barbarian Incarnate

Postby cynthialee » April 22nd, 2015, 3:11 pm

I find it odd that when we think of 'Barbarians' our minds automatically go to the Northern European style barbarians.
Does anyone have any other types of Barbarians?
The various indigenous/tribal peoples of earth in past and present times gives us a wealth of variety to chose from, we seem to be squandering an opportunity.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » April 22nd, 2015, 3:14 pm

cynthialee wrote:I find it odd that when we think of 'Barbarians' our minds automatically go to the Northern European style barbarians.
Does anyone have any other types of Barbarians?
The various indigenous/tribal peoples of earth in past and present times gives us a wealth of variety to chose from, we seem to be squandering an opportunity.

I do. Warriors of Avaggdu by Confrontation. At least their design allows for a wide variety of ethnicities you wanna incorporate. I'm thinking bronzish for mine.
I'll use these for a quest pack where they are reluctantly in alliance with Snakemen.

HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Harry » April 23rd, 2015, 9:58 am

knightkrawler wrote:Wet blending isn't nonsense.
But your techniques fit the vintage style of your minis best, that's why they look far more elaborate than they really are.
That's of course again high praise and not to be interpreted as critique in any way.
Clearly you can not see from your computer keyboard that my tongue is placed firmly in my cheek.
Wet blending is the state of the art and when I see it done well I want to burn my brushes and never paint again.
However, life is just too short. I would love to paint everything to that standard but i simply have too much stuff to paint, So instead I try and find as many quick and simple techniques as I can to get ...'a result' even if not the best result. I try to think of the mini as the star and showcase the mini rather than my painting.
I know many of the old sculpts don't come close to some of the new stuff .... but I do like the old minis. I guess I am thinking folks might see them in a new light with a slightly updated paint job.
....and I love critique ... I was nowhere a couple of years ago when I started painting. Only with the kind support of folks like yourself taking the time to point out the strengths and weaknesses of my models have I come as far as I have. If I post stuff .... please have at it. :D

Now where's your thread? :twisted:
Last edited by Harry on April 23rd, 2015, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » April 23rd, 2015, 10:35 am

Right in my signature.
I did see the tongue in your cheek with my humor superpowers. I just feared others wouldn't.
|_P
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » April 24th, 2015, 11:55 am

I like your Barbarians. Now somehow I imagine these Guys as a group of Heroes on the board. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Harry » May 3rd, 2015, 3:12 am

However, the best Barbarians of all time, In my view, are these guys from Mark Copplestone.

I have started getting some of these painted.
Here you go:
(My photos are a bit bright. I have killed lot of the shading in the flesh tones).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Harry » May 3rd, 2015, 3:13 am

.... here are the next few guys finished and based ... Hope you like them.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wolfie907 » May 4th, 2015, 1:28 am

you are correct about these guys they are always the figs I think of when picturing a barbarian army I recently picked up this kit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
wolfie907

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Harry » May 4th, 2015, 4:43 am

I have one of those. :D

Next guys done:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Harry
Does

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Hero_Of_Retro » May 4th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Nice work. The army looks pretty cool. ready for brutality! :P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Hero_Of_Retro

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures