• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Kickstarting Pastiche Heroquest Miniatures

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Kickstarting Pastiche Heroquest Miniatures

Postby Daedalus » June 22nd, 2013, 6:45 pm

I'd recommend those interested in the Chapterhouse vs. Games Workshop lawsuit check out the prime source for what is on the web, http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/06/legalwatch-games-workshop-vs_14.html. The results of the case are still forthcoming over the next few days, as is the actual judgement. A more neutral, and thus reliable and complete description of the verdict than that provided by the legal team defending Chapterhouse is available there.

Copyright claims: GW won 1/3, CH won 2/3
Trademark claims: GW won 37, CH won 55
Damages awarded: CH to pay GW $25,000 USD
Both sides may appeal.

Yes, it's great GW has been fought and beaten on many fronts, but they also prevailed on many others. For a legal matter closer to the Hero Quest community, check out this thread.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Jewels! » June 22nd, 2013, 6:56 pm

Daedalus wrote:I'd recommend those interested in the Chapterhouse vs. Games Workshop lawsuit check out the prime source for what is on the web, http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/06/legalwatch-games-workshop-vs_14.html. The results of the case are still forthcoming over the next few days, as is the actual judgement. A more neutral, and thus reliable and complete description of the verdict than that provided by the legal team defending Chapterhouse is available there.

Copyright claims: GW won 1/3, CH won 2/3
Both sides may appeal.

That doesn't sound like a win at all :(

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » June 22nd, 2013, 7:09 pm

We're not even using anything close to what Chapterhouse did, and ours involves a product mutually owned by two different companies, one of which made its assets publicly available for download. We're wanting to make compatible miniatures for a non-existent product.

Also, its very much a win if you consider that GW wanted over $160,000 in damages, and the complete and total shutdown of Chapterhouse.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 22nd, 2013, 7:21 pm

Jewels wrote:
Daedalus wrote:Copyright claims: GW won 1/3, CH won 2/3
Both sides may appeal.

That doesn't sound like a win at all :(

It depends how you look at it. Chapterhouse may still operate with much of its business still intact, including much of its website. Games Workshop was looking to totally destroy this guy. He's coming out of it with a severe limp.

I don't see the verdict as a deathknell for a Hero Quest Kickstarter--it can still happen pretty much how chaoticprime has described it. He's talking about a lot of new miniatures in the old style. With new sculpts, it should be do-able to create them with enough difference to avoid the big guns. Bloodmoon Miniatures has already done this with their Bog Raiders, aka Fimir. I'm playing devil's advocate in the hopes of keeping expectations in the safe zone. (Also, I'm probably being reactionary.) I think there are a lot of great ideas pushing around with this, and chaoticprime looks like the best guy to see things done. I'm cautiously interested.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » June 22nd, 2013, 8:44 pm

Plus, both GW and Hasbro(by way of owning Milton Bradley) co-own the copyright to HeroQuest in the United States. As sets of rules cannot be copyrighted, we can go so far as to claim "compatibility with the rules from HeroQuest," even. We cannot represent ourselves as the legitimate article, however. This is why Words with Friends can exist as being nothing more than Scrabble with a different trademark.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Jewels! » June 22nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

chaoticprime wrote:Plus, both GW and Hasbro(by way of owning Milton Bradley) co-own the copyright to HeroQuest in the United States. As sets of rules cannot be copyrighted, we can go so far as to claim "compatibility with the rules from HeroQuest," even. We cannot represent ourselves as the legitimate article, however. This is why Words with Friends can exist as being nothing more than Scrabble with a different trademark.

I didn't mean to imply this would have an effect on this project, It just seemed like a Pyrrhic victory when reading the blog post. Putting it into perspective helped.

Now I'm imagining a HQ clone being sold as "Quests with Friends."

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » June 22nd, 2013, 9:19 pm

Jewels wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:Plus, both GW and Hasbro(by way of owning Milton Bradley) co-own the copyright to HeroQuest in the United States. As sets of rules cannot be copyrighted, we can go so far as to claim "compatibility with the rules from HeroQuest," even. We cannot represent ourselves as the legitimate article, however. This is why Words with Friends can exist as being nothing more than Scrabble with a different trademark.

I didn't mean to imply this would have an effect on this project, It just seemed like a Pyrrhic victory when reading the blog post. Putting it into perspective helped.

Now I'm imagining a HQ clone being sold as "Quests with Friends."

I believe we have our name.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Jewels! » June 22nd, 2013, 9:29 pm

chaoticprime wrote:I believe we have our name.

:lol:

Rewards:
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 23rd, 2013, 1:45 am

We already settled on similar, but yet different bases. Let's avoid simple replicas for the minis.
No dice pictures are involved, anyway. And - up till now - there's no rule set or even rule parts or anything written, so there's no danger concerning copyright, anyway.
There's only miniatures, maintaining the style of existing (but uncontinued) miniatures by a company long having evolved their style into something entirely different.

Neither GW nor Hasbro are being interested in any way in making profit with the miniatures GW/MB offered with HeroQuest, so they (the miniatures as a set) are a non-existing product.
I don't see us hurting anybody.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 23rd, 2013, 4:24 am

I think that as long as you don't use copyrighted names, such as "fimir", you're fine. The whole Chibi Adventurers kickstarter was nothing more than chibi versions of all the D&D cartoon characters from the 80's. They use a different colour scheme for the heroes, and slightly different names for monsters. They were only told to remove the bullywogs, shambling mound and hooked horror minis. The others (bugbear, tiamat, owlbear, goblin, orc, skeleton, zombie, mummie etc. etc. even a one-eyed demon "fimir" chibi) were allowed.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures