• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Removing mini's from their base

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Removing mini's from their base

Postby Daedalus » April 16th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Start by using a cutting plier to gnaw away as much base as possible as close to the feet as you dare.
Then use a crafting knife to cut as close to the SIDES of the feet as possible. Using knives can be dangerous - Ask an adult to help you

LOL :lol:

@Ethica-
You should look into doing your own one-part molds of the bases. Because the bases are flat on the underside and negligable shrinkage won't show or affect things, it's a relatively simple process. You can use cheap, air-drying flexible molding clay to form your molds by pressing it onto a base that is placed on the glass plane. Let it dry overnight. You can simply press in more of the clay to make a base, using vegetable oil as a seperator. If you want something more solid, I imagine you could change clays, using something like Fimo or a kneaded two-part epoxy. For a bit more precision, cut or drill out a pour hole and fill it with liquid two-part epoxy. Heck, hot glue may even work. Finally, remove the piece after hardening and cut away the filling sprue.

My friend used the flexible modelling clay technique to good effect for 40K purity seals. I can't be sure how well it works for a bigger-sized base, but it's easy to try. Sure, it's a bit of work, but you'll have an endless supply of HQ bases for your efforts.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » April 17th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Daedalus wrote:You can use cheap, air-drying flexible molding clay to form your molds by pressing it onto a base that is placed on the glass plane. Let it dry overnight. You can simply press in more of the clay to make a base, using vegetable oil as a seperator.

That is SO smart! I was wondering if I could mould a gargoyle head with Milliput, by first making a mould by pressing the head into the milliput, then letting that harden, and then pressing fresh milliput into the mould, but I was afraid it would simply stick in the mould and not come loose neatly. But I could try that with oil! :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » April 26th, 2012, 8:56 am

Daedalus wrote:@Ethica-
You should look into doing your own one-part molds of the bases. Because the bases are flat on the underside and negligable shrinkage won't show or affect things, it's a relatively simple process. You can use cheap, air-drying flexible molding clay to form your molds by pressing it onto a base that is placed on the glass plane. Let it dry overnight. You can simply press in more of the clay to make a base, using vegetable oil as a seperator. If you want something more solid, I imagine you could change clays, using something like Fimo or a kneaded two-part epoxy. For a bit more precision, cut or drill out a pour hole and fill it with liquid two-part epoxy. Heck, hot glue may even work. Finally, remove the piece after hardening and cut away the filling sprue.

I was considering this. I have silicon to make a mould and resin to make bases. Then I could have bases for all my non-HQ figures. Hmm. thanks!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Miniatures