• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Removing mini's from their base

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Removing mini's from their base

Postby Sjeng » April 15th, 2012, 3:29 am

Hi! I have some warhammer ogres that were glues to their rather large bases, and I want to rebase them on HQ size bases, but they're really glued on there.
How can you get them off? I tried alcohol, and a sharp knife, but no luck. I'm afraid to damage the models if I force it.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Removing mini's from their base

Postby Ethica » April 15th, 2012, 4:49 am

I usually heat up a craft knife with a lighter and melt through. You do lose a little bit of material this way but at least the cut is more controlable.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » April 15th, 2012, 7:39 am

Butane lighter? Would it cause any dmg to the xacto blade? Like make it more brittle?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 15th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Craft knives are available on soldering irons. I believe X-acto makes one. Be careful not to cut with too much pressure, or it will bend, like mine. :(

Another tact could be to use clippers to cut away the plastic bases, then trim around the feet with a craft knife and files. Remove the base that remains under the feet by sanding it off with sandpaper that is mounted on a flat block. Hold the figure in your hand and push it back and forth across the sandpaper, checking occasionally until the unwanted base material is removed.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 15th, 2012, 4:06 pm

how about rough cuting it out then ussing a dremel to do the fine details?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » April 16th, 2012, 1:03 am

That might also work, but I don't have those tools... Maybe I can borrow some. Thanks!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » April 16th, 2012, 4:31 am

This is how I've done it. Don't know if it's the easiest way I did it, but I did it...
Using only items found in a common crafting room

Start by using a cutting plier to gnaw away as much base as possible as close to the feet as you dare.
Then use a crafting knife to cut as close to the SIDES of the feet as possible. Using knives can be dangerous - Ask an adult to help you
Finally use a file to plane the "soles" of the feet.
Done

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » April 16th, 2012, 9:06 am

That's alot more clever.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » April 16th, 2012, 10:52 am

I used to chop away the bases then sand them down.

I moved on to a very cheap Stanley Blade heated with a lighter. You dont have to heat the blade all the time , simply do the four sides of each foot as a guide, lie down the figure and use the Stanley (with some pressure and a slight sawing action) gradually cutting through keeping the blade flat to the base. This should result in you lining up you guide cuts.

This is my new method as I used to hack my HQ figures bases off, this way I could save my HQ bases and send them to Ethica who was very greatful
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » April 16th, 2012, 11:20 am

Nerrad72 wrote:This is my new method as I used to hack my HQ figures bases off, this way I could save my HQ bases and send them to Ethica who was very greatful

And if anyone else wants to get rid of HQ bases I need them bad. Will swap for cash or actual figures

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Miniatures