• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Workshop : New Heroes and Complete Set Painting

Discuss compatible Miniatures, Miniature making/painting and share Miniatures you've made/painted.

Re: Workshop : New Heroes and Complete Set Painting

Postby Seb » December 17th, 2013, 3:45 am

Wow.. and I thought I had an itch for collecting Knightcrawler.. I bow to your commitment :)

but now.. an impromptu tutorial..

I've been rebasing a few spare figures into my Heroquest collection, having filled out the requisite numbers for Warhammer Quest in Battle Level 1 etc. It gave me the opportunity to show a handful of figures some detail love; so I began looking up how to do some mangled rust SFX on weapons. I ended up requiring pastes, airbrushes, chalks and powders etc etc.. it was simply nuts. So I sat down and decided to develop a straightforward by the numbers method - this is what I settled on:

In order using both previous and current GW versions of paint; stipple paint along the weapon:

Boltgun Metal Base > Scorched Brown/Rhinox Hide > Vermin Fur/Skrag Brown > Jokaero Orange > Edging with Boltgun Metal.

Image Image Image Image Image

The Jokaero Orange serves as a really dry orange effect - personal choice, but I find it adds an aged, ingrained and long term rust effect. Your mileage may vary

Hope this impromptu tutorial helps folks!
Sebastian.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby TMU » December 17th, 2013, 8:40 am

Wow, nice tutorial, too bad I don't have GW paints.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » December 17th, 2013, 10:59 am

Would you mind sharing which colors you use for your HQ orcs? They have a really delicious classic green.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » December 19th, 2013, 6:49 am

Well nearly finished my skaven additions - just base touches and toenails :D

Image Image

I'm looking for parts to convert up a Seer yet. I know these are a break from classic miniatures, but I have to say - these models personify skaven on every level for me, so there really was no debate in mind with these models.

I'll type up that Orc recipe shortly Goblin King, my paint notebook is AWOL in a packing box :)

- Seb.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 19th, 2013, 8:35 am

heh, you have 3 identical models! My clanrats were all different.
I converted one rat into a seer with 2 horns from a beastman bit. Check the gallery :)
Yours look amazing. Love the base colours. I'm a more of a colourful painter. I love the plain look, but somehow I just can't do it :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » December 19th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I agree that those are THE Skaven.
Shoulders narrow, crouching walk on the toenails, grinning in cowardice and bloodlust alike.

Not like the generation before them where the bodies splayed out all over the place and they looked like rat-faced goblins or gnoblars.
The early skaven plastics gave the right feel, but were too big.
The clanrats are a great kit. Painted mine up, too.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Yochanan » December 19th, 2013, 4:36 pm

Seb wrote:I’ve been enjoying adding new models to my collection lately. The hunting about eBay for the right era and scupltor (Kev Adams and friends), basing and painting. It’s been good fun. My best find was this Minotaur model 2 weeks ago:

Hi Seb, nice work! what material are the minotaurs made of?
Cheers
Y
Yochanan

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » December 19th, 2013, 6:58 pm

@Knightkrawler
I agree that those are THE Skaven. Shoulders narrow, crouching walk on the toenails, grinning in cowardice and bloodlust alike.

Pretty much word for word what goes through my mind when I look at them. Jes Goodwin was the lead sculptor; small wonder they're just spot on.

@Sjeng
Yah, they are all in similar poses and 'uniform' to match the overall Heroquest theme of same pose miniatures and paint schemes. I'll be adjusting monster cards artwork to suit my own Skaven. It was very tempting to make a mob of them, but I'll save those for Warhammer Quest. The bigger rat is the 'Leader' model for quest objective NPCs.

@Yochanan
Cheers! :) The Minotaur from Marauder miniatures (aka Citadel) is lead based - so soft metal, unlike the newer White Metal GW adopted. Basically, don't let him fall over face first. ;)

I'll be finishing up these and the Orc characters over Christmas :)

- Seb.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Yochanan » December 19th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Seb wrote:@Yochanan
Cheers! :) The Minotaur from Marauder miniatures (aka Citadel) is lead based - so soft metal, unlike the newer White Metal GW adopted. Basically, don't let him fall over face first. ;)

I'll be finishing up these and the Orc characters over Christmas :)

- Seb.

Ah I see, thanks. I'm trying to stick to plastic and resin, I end up damaging my metal miniatures too easily. Looking forward to seeing them finished! I should have some painted miniatures to post soon here as well.
Yochanan

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » January 8th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Hi All,

Just to cover a lack of replies on my part to any future questions I'm posting a quick update.

I've been accepted into a Yachtsman course for the next few months, bit of a career change ahead of me and feeling very fortunate.

As such, the hobby gear has been packed carefully and fastidiously as only a fellow hobbyist would understand. Thanks for your encouragement and critique last year; I will invariably start the thread again when I return to finishing my set later in the year.

Cheers!
Seb. :)
Last edited by Seb on January 8th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miniatures