• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Quest Booklet Formats?

Found some typos or dead links? Is there an area you would like to see added? Is there something you would like to contribute to Ye Olde Inn? Let us know!
Forum rules
Please post only those issues relating to the http://www.yeoldeinn.com/ Website and its pages. Issues relating to the Ye Olde Inn Community Forum or Blog do not go here.

Quest Booklet Formats?

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 19th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Hi!
I'm new here but taking advantage of the great downloads and resources to build my HQ collection. I have a question about the format of the Quest Books. My base set and expansions (KK and RotWL) are US versions with the quest booklets being nice little 1/2 page sized folded booklets (roughly). It seems like the quest books I'm seeing here are formated to print out on full 8 1/2 x 11 paper, one sheet per quest, rather than like the real books. Are there PDFs available that will let me print the books and then fold and staple them?

Thanks in advance!
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Quest Booklet Formats?

Postby el_flesh » May 19th, 2010, 6:43 pm

I'll tell ya right away that when you go to print the expansion pack tiles - you might want to have a pro printer do them.
They don't come out very bright and glossy, even with a newer bubblejet.

I tried it on white poster board - which is very good in terms of stiffness.
But not so good for colors, even on high quality...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 19th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Double-sided booklet style is an option I've always had on my to-do list. The North American Remasters of Against the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar available on the Champion's Table are in that format, but I've yet to do the regular books. If I have some free time in June, I'll get started on them. The Quest Book files on Ye Olde Inn are single-page format, but they are actual Quest Book size. On a home printer you can print them on Standard Letter sheets as the PDF shrinks-to-fit by default. The North American Quest Books are larger than 8½x11".

el_flesh has some good advice though. The cards, tiles and Quest Books look amazing when printed at a print shop. I had an entire set of cards printed professionally and they are superior to my original sets. Nice smooth colours without all those tiny ink dots that you see when you take a good close look at the original cards. They look really good on my colour laser, but for some reason my printer doesn't care for thick sheets.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 20th, 2010, 9:36 am

Do you know what type of card they used for them? Also, average pricing, AND ...did you use a franchise print shop?

I just might rethink my plan of living with lower color...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 20th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. For tiles, I'm not so concerned about them looking like the originals at this point. I had intended to laser print on a glossy card stock. I work at a copy shop (not a print shop) so I do have access to pretty good equipment. I may glue them onto heavy board for durability.

I'll have to check out the Champion's table books for those two expansions, that'll get me started.
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 23rd, 2010, 2:04 pm

el_flesh wrote:Do you know what type of card they used for them? Also, average pricing, AND ...did you use a franchise print shop?

I just might rethink my plan of living with lower color...

The UPS store around the corner from me also does print and copy. That's where I went. Prices are on par with other print and copy places like Staples. As for the stock, I'm not entirely sure. I'll try to find that out the next time I'm down there. All I remember is it was a semi-gloss on both sides. I took one of my cards down along with the print file and said, "Do you have paper similar to this?"

Cost just under $100. I had a full set of cards from the Game System and each expansion printed up, along with enough duplicates of the Spell Scrolls, Magical Throwing Daggers, and Anti-Poison Quills so each Hero could eventually have their own card. Also included in the lot were all the sets of cards I made (from the card page). Treasure, Equipment (four of each), Potions (four of each) etc. along with the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar monster cards that I localised.

As for the Quest Books (the two on the Champions Table). I had the covers done on the same stock as the cards and the rest of the pages on colour paper. They average about $12.50 each. A little more for the Ogre (more pages) and a little less for the Wizards.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 23rd, 2010, 11:04 pm

Well worth it! Thanx for the info man!!!

I'm just nerding out how we enjoy it so much!

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daniel Anteron » May 30th, 2010, 3:30 am

drathe wrote:
The UPS store around the corner from me also does print and copy. That's where I went. Prices are on par with other print and copy places like Staples. As for the stock, I'm not entirely sure. I'll try to find that out the next time I'm down there. All I remember is it was a semi-gloss on both sides. I took one of my cards down along with the print file and said, "Do you have paper similar to this?"

Cost just under $100. I had a full set of cards from the Game System and each expansion printed up, along with enough duplicates of the Spell Scrolls, Magical Throwing Daggers, and Anti-Poison Quills so each Hero could eventually have their own card. Also included in the lot were all the sets of cards I made (from the card page). Treasure, Equipment (four of each), Potions (four of each) etc. along with the Ogre Horde and Wizards of Morcar monster cards that I localised.

As for the Quest Books (the two on the Champions Table). I had the covers done on the stock as the cards and the rest of the pages on colour paper. They average about $12.50 each. A little more for the Ogre (more pages) and a little less for the Wizards.

That doesn't sound too bad I'll have to check out some of my local area's about doing this for me as well.
Daniel Anteron

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Koren_nRhys » May 30th, 2010, 11:40 pm

I've started printing out some tiles and cards on my Epson Stylus CX4800. Using best photo quality and printing onto a glossy card stock (not quite photo paper) I've very happy with the quality. Not laser, no, but good enough for gaming. I can't blow $100 to have them done at a shop. The stock is Utopia Digital U2 Gloss 80 Cover. Not as heavy as the real tiles but certainly comparable to the real cards. I may try gluing the tiles to something heavier as a backer - not sure yet. I need to do up a few optional Heroes, so those I do intend to glue to heavier stock.
Koren_nRhys

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 31st, 2010, 12:29 am

If the gloss doesn't cause the tiles to slide easily around the board, a thinner stock would be preferred in my opinion. Then doors will sit a little more flush when they overlap the tiles.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Website Discussion Room