• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zombicide: Black Plague Official Campaigns

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Zombicide: Black Plague Official Campaigns

Postby QorDaq » Tuesday July 5th, 2016 1:34pm

Greetings Warriors,

Guillotine Games has finally released the first of two Campaigns that were unlocked during the 2015 Kickstarter. The first campaign is called "Places of Interest", and covers the base game. A second campaign is due, allegedly, within the month, and will be focused on Wulfsburg.

A free downloadable PDF of the first campaign is available on the Zombicide website, and can be found, HERE.

There are quite a few typos and grammatical errors, as well as some legacy terminology from Zcide Modern. Basically, and in my opinion, it needed better editing before being published. However, it does look like a cool campaign, which includes special rewards for completing certain tasks in each quest.

For those who may be interested, I knocked out a sheet of quick and dirty tokens to be used with the campaign--these represent the one-time use special rewards that characters can be awarded.

Enjoy.
Last edited by QorDaq on Tuesday September 6th, 2016 3:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Zombicide: Black Plague Official Campaign

Postby QorDaq » Tuesday September 6th, 2016 3:13pm

Greetings Warriors,

So, at last the 2nd of the two promised Campaigns for Z:BP (unlocked via KS), has been released. Unlike the last one, Places of Interest, this second offering, The Fire God, is a legitimate mini campaign.

The PDF download can be found, HERE. Tiles from the Wulzburg expansion are required to play.

maj!

QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Zombicide: Black Plague Official Campaigns

Postby Anderas » Wednesday September 7th, 2016 1:42am

I wonder how one can play a story-campaign just against the boardgame, without Game master.
The base game is also arranged in a story mode, but we were never doing anything but searching for a mission in "our" difficulty and then playing it. Story? forgotten. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Re: Zombicide: Black Plague Official Campaigns

Postby QorDaq » Wednesday September 7th, 2016 7:13pm

Anderas wrote:I wonder how one can play a story-campaign just against the boardgame, without Game master.
The base game is also arranged in a story mode, but we were never doing anything but searching for a mission in "our" difficulty and then playing it. Story? forgotten. :)

The missions/ quests in the CRB are sort of a progressing story, though it's admittedly fairly light. This mini-campaign, on the other hand, is definitely set up to progress the campaign's story. Mainly it does this by taking cues from games like Descent 2.0 and I.A. where the outcome of a given mission determines what comes next. That said, there are really only four unique missions and one clean up mission that gets recycled if the party scrubs out.

I suppose I'd put it on par with the Game Night mini-campaigns from the Modern game. But the nice difference here, is that there are little new mechanics introduced in the missions, which mainly relate to the quest at hand (so they do not change the core game). These extra little bits and pieces of altered game play set these quests apart somewhat from the main game.

Where Places of Interest, (the first "Campaign"), was really just a handful of "Boss Levels" that could be dropped in between other quests, The Fire God is more like a Module--again, if primarily a short one.

But yeah, at the end of the day, it's still Zcide, so at the heart of the game is skirmish against the A.I. with theme taking center stage over story-telling while playing. Z:BP is still not a traditional crawler in that regard. I think the way to address that, would, as has been mentioned previously in the context of other games, would be to have sort of a Legacy approach, where snippets of story would be revealed based on choices made by the party, either via a choose your own adventure kind of mechanic, or a sealed deck of cards or something. Neither would be that great for replayability unless REALLY well designed. Zcide is kind of light for that sort of thing.

Alternately, of course, you can always add a GM, but that changes everything.

QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to Other Games Room