• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Reaper Bones III

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: Reaper Bones III

Postby cornixt » Monday July 27th, 2015 10:02am

Anderas wrote:Oh there are indeed some models interesting for me. But what would I want with a mix of western, fantasy and sci-fi minis?

I was going through my Bones II models at the weekend (so many painted now!) and wondering whether I would even bother with the western models. I have no idea what I would use them for right now. They put really odd sets in the core collection - does anyone really need four sets of four identical lizardmen?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby knightkrawler » Monday July 27th, 2015 1:20pm

Yes. HeroQuest players with Lizardman quests. They think they cater to us with those.
The cowboys: Wild West Exodus.
Their flimsy little Space Marines: Infinity.
The list goes on.

They think they can cater to all of us, but the end result lacks quality and passion.
Again, that's what I'm talking about. If they'd concentrate on a different, more specific purpose with each crowdfunding campaign they would be more successfull in the longterm and we would be way - waaay - more satisfied.
But nooo... they have to grab the fast money out of everyone's asses at the same time.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » Monday July 27th, 2015 9:47pm

knightkrawler wrote:But nooo... they have to grab the fast money out of everyone's asses at the same time.

But remember to be thankful and glad they were gentle about it :shock: .

I saw a couple things that piqued my interest but not enough to spend the money. I already spent an excessive amount on Zombicide: Black Plague :oops: . I'll look at ebay once the first few waves come out and pick up the few that I did want in small bundles. I still haven't painted any Bones I or II yet so I've no shame.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Jasper Akhkharu » Thursday July 30th, 2015 3:36pm

Damn, missed all of this convo up until now cause my post got moved. Thought that someone would have started a Bones 3 thread but just couldn't find it... or the search button, aparently :lol:

anyway, nice to hear that others share my frustration with the whole 'bonesium' plastic. I have always totally preferred metal minis over resin/plastics. In fact, HQ minis are the only non-metal minis i own, aside from that one bones mini i mentioned!

I backed because some of the minis look pretty cool to me (been looking for some decent hobgoblins for a loooooong time), plus i like using lots of different monsters in my HQ games. some of the add-on packs were dumb tho - the already noted westerns and sci-fis especially. Hopefully some of the larger sculpts will be cool, i usually pass on them cause they are so expensive when cast in metal, but I cant pass up a $10 dragon or two (Khyphrixis or whatever his name is caught my eye).
Jasper Akhkharu

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Thursday July 30th, 2015 4:48pm

knightkrawler wrote:Yes. HeroQuest players with Lizardman quests. They think they cater to us with those.

I'm sure both of them will be happy. :)

I like getting a variety, but four different models would have done. Instead they add on an extra 12 models that do nothing more than bump the model count for the vast majority. People who want more can order them as an add-on anyway.

They think they can cater to all of us, but the end result lacks quality and passion.
Again, that's what I'm talking about. If they'd concentrate on a different, more specific purpose with each crowdfunding campaign they would be more successfull in the longterm and we would be way - waaay - more satisfied.
But nooo... they have to grab the fast money out of everyone's asses at the same time.

The core set should be all fantasy (the bulk of the models they are doing) and all other themes should be add-ons. It's like how the cable company gives me one good channel, a couple of meh channels and 6 awful channels in each package. People will pay it for the good channel but almost no one ever watches the others.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday July 31st, 2015 11:13am

Jasper Akhkharu wrote:Damn, missed all of this convo up until now cause my post got moved. Thought that someone would have started a Bones 3 thread but just couldn't find it... or the search button, aparently :lol:

anyway, nice to hear that others share my frustration with the whole 'bonesium' plastic. I have always totally preferred metal minis over resin/plastics. In fact, HQ minis are the only non-metal minis i own, aside from that one bones mini i mentioned!

I backed because some of the minis look pretty cool to me (been looking for some decent hobgoblins for a loooooong time), plus i like using lots of different monsters in my HQ games. some of the add-on packs were dumb tho - the already noted westerns and sci-fis especially. Hopefully some of the larger sculpts will be cool, i usually pass on them cause they are so expensive when cast in metal, but I cant pass up a $10 dragon or two (Khyphrixis or whatever his name is caught my eye).

Look for the Goblins from Russian Alternative. They are Hobgoblins in the old Citadel Chaosdwarf style. Awesome.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby IvenBach » Wednesday August 26th, 2015 2:41am

Did anyone back BonesIII? I went through my BonesII finally and was a bit let down on most of the minis. Some I liked but definitely was lacking a bit of what I wanted or was anticipating.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby LordZeke » Wednesday August 26th, 2015 8:47am

I did, for less than Bones II but more than Bones I.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday September 2nd, 2015 12:20pm

cornixt wrote:
Anderas wrote:Oh there are indeed some models interesting for me. But what would I want with a mix of western, fantasy and sci-fi minis?

I was going through my Bones II models at the weekend (so many painted now!) and wondering whether I would even bother with the western models. I have no idea what I would use them for right now. They put really odd sets in the core collection - does anyone really need four sets of four identical lizardmen?

I believe Reaper is targeting the D&D niche, as lizardmen are usually present in large numbers. I'm pretty sure D&D fans provide a large chunk of their revenue and have probably voiced a desire to see them in a Bones kickstarter on the Reaper forums.

knightkrawler wrote:Yes. HeroQuest players with Lizardman quests. They think they cater to us with those.
The cowboys: Wild West Exodus.
Their flimsy little Space Marines: Infinity.
The list goes on.

I'd prefer the way you lay things out too, but the desires of business--follow the money--trump the desires of individuals. Their long-term goal is to develop the Bones line for future revenue. Their short-term tactic is to raise the funds for the molds through multiple kickstarters. Until the kickstarters in this generalist form fail, I doubt that Reaper will end the practice that is so profitably growing their business. I'm not yet willing to decry the practice, as the long-term goal of producing cheap figures is succeeding. There are several I like, and will probably buy some from their store (when available) at what I consider a good price.

cornixt wrote:

...I like getting a variety, but four different models would have done. Instead they add on an extra 12 models that do nothing more than bump the model count for the vast majority. People who want more can order them as an add-on anyway....

The core set should be all fantasy (the bulk of the models they are doing) and all other themes should be add-ons. It's like how the cable company gives me one good channel, a couple of meh channels and 6 awful channels in each package. People will pay it for the good channel but almost no one ever watches the others.

You nailed their strategy that has been repeating: Produce a core Bones set with a bunch of figures that is swollen by a monster or two with several duplicated types. This works to Reaper's advantage in two ways: first, they net in a large segment of D&D players who want a deal on those particular monsters in bulk, and second, they bump the total number count of the core set cheaply with fewer molds, thus making the average cost per figure cheaper. Perhaps Reaper thinks average mini cost influences Bones buyers' decision process. As evidenced on the Reaper forums, some backers will trade, while others will sell off unwanted figures on Ebay.

I'm not likely to sell off my earlier bones figures and I passed on Bones III for the same reasons as many others have. I'd love to see their kickstarter model evolve into still more efficient buying groups, and that means further splintering of package offers. If I or anyone else here were serious enough to care, the thing to do would be to voice these concerns in their forum. Of course, this being the Internet, that ain't gonna happen. :mrgreen:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » Wednesday December 7th, 2016 6:28pm

Didn't want to start up a new thread, as it's just a quick question.

Those who own Reaper Bones miniatures...
How are the plastic? Is it hard, soft, bendy, breaky?
How does it compare to other plastic miniatures like HQ, GW or perhaps Super Dungeon Explore?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room