• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Zombicide: Black Plague

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Re: Zombicide: Black Plague

Postby IvenBach » December 22nd, 2015, 2:39 am

My biggest concern about backing without having seen the minis in person is the scale. Can you take some photos of them side by side with HQ? I look forward to receiving mine.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » December 22nd, 2015, 2:48 am

The Heroes fit more or less.
The Zombies don't as they are a small portion bigger, but not at all heroic balloon headed.

I received my copy yesterday and spend the evening with it instead spamming yeoldeinn.
I like almost every single bit about it. No buyer's remorse.

The only thing I missed were the small background stories for the characters. They have gone missing during the production.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » December 22nd, 2015, 4:04 am

IvenBach wrote:My biggest concern about backing without having seen the minis in person is the scale. Can you take some photos of them side by side with HQ? I look forward to receiving mine.

Many years ago I replaced all of my HQ minis with the WotC pre-paints when they were still in production... I think the HQ minis ended up in turn being donated to a friend who was just getting into pathfinder a few years later and had no minis of his own (and was dead broke). So unfortunately I don't have a good way to compare scale except to say that the Z:BP stuff does not horribly outsize the D&D minis.

I think one of the things that Zombicide minis do well in general is keep the "Epic" nonsense to a minimum (for heroes), while they are a little tall they are not overly bulky... Very well proportioned actually with tons of great detail.

Now for the standard Walkers and Runners, the Zombies might look a bit thin compared to HQ zombies... But the Fatties (We call them "Big Boys" in my household), could work okay. And of course the heroes would work fine in my opinion.

Anderas wrote:...The only thing I missed were the small background stories for the characters. They have gone missing during the production.

You mean they have vanished from the Kickstarter Updates page? You might have to do some hunting, but I know I have seen some of the character backgrounds in amongst the updates as I have looked at other things. Not sure if ALL of them are still up or not... But you can definitely find (at least) some and save them as PNG files or what-have-you.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 22nd, 2015, 12:08 pm

No they are still available on the Kickstarter Update Page. I downloaded them today.

But of course, they are web quality, so printing is meh.
I would have expected the six basic characters in the rule book. the pictures are there, only the text is missing.

But that's really a small drawback, the rest of the game is really really in good quality.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » December 22nd, 2015, 12:21 pm

Pictures of the minis? Photo studio quality shots always portray things in perfection. Reality shots are what I'm looking for.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » December 22nd, 2015, 3:35 pm

You mean reality TV with shaky cam effects and everything?

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » December 22nd, 2015, 4:11 pm

IvenBach wrote:Pictures of the minis? Photo studio quality shots always portray things in perfection. Reality shots are what I'm looking for.

Perhaps someone with better camera skills than I will post some more (Because mine suck). But I can tell you that the Z:BP minis are taller than WotC minis as you can see below. But proportioning is similar. Note that: The WotC D&D minis shown below have thicker bases, so the difference in height is deceiving. This is significant because, while I no longer own any original HQ minis (that I can find anyway), I do recall their bases being relatively thick?

Wide shot of various minis, from left to right; A Necromancer, two Heroes, a WotC Human, a Z:BP Dwarf, a WotC Dwarf, and for comparison a Human from Descent 2.0

The Necromancer and WotC Human. Note: The Necromancer would make a nice stand-in for the Sorcerer and Similar NPCs in HQ

Descent 2.0, Z:BP, and WotC

Again, apologies on the lack-luster photography but I am not set up for taking pics of minis. And also for having no Games Workshop minis to compare.

Hope this helps.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » December 23rd, 2015, 1:36 am

That was what I was wanting. No worry about blurry images, all mine are always blurry. I hope I get mine soon but if not it's no big deal. Thanks again for the photo, mostly wanted to see a size comparison, for now.

Rewards:
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » December 23rd, 2015, 3:41 am

Some photos with Heroquest models as comparison.

For full size go here

Some undead and evildoers

Baldric the Wizard and the Heroquest Wizard

Samson the Dwarf and the Heroquest Dwarf

Silas the Elf and the Heroquest Elf

The two women and the Abomination

The Abomination and the Gargoyle

It fits, more or less. The Zombicide models are some millimeters bigger but who cares.
The two figthers and the Barbarian are not very well comparable... now i see i forgot to make a photo :)

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nuadha » December 23rd, 2015, 4:18 pm

Thanks for sharing the pics! I got to play last night with a friend's copy but I didn't have any HQ minis with me to compare and I was trying to picture them side by side. I think the heroes will work fine with HQ. The zombies have such a different style that I think I won't mix them, but the Z:BP zombies are nicer and have more variety in poses any way.
Nuadha

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games Room