• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Forbidden Island

Topics relating to Fantasy Games not listed above.

Forbidden Island

Postby Sjeng » December 12th, 2012, 7:43 am

Blackthorn wrote:I have to say that I really didn't enjoy this game as much as I thought I would. My 21 year old daughter and I gave up just before the second adventure was completed. We found the rules, cards and counters too fiddly and the game play too complicated to run smoothly. We were constantly forgetting the order of play and all of the conditional rules on the cards. We'd realize too late that we had forgotten to play a certain card or move a counter and we ran into questions that the rules could not clarify. We eventually got weary of being beaten down by monsters and encounter cards as we made our way through the castle which lacked the atmosphere of our beloved HeroQuest. In retrospect , I don't think the cooperative nature of the game really suits the dungeon crawl experience as you have to constantly alternate between your character and the evil things that attack it. We do enjoy Forbidden Island which is a cooperative game with smoother mechanic and a nice theme. You really start to feel the tension as the island sinks beneath your feet.

Anyway, you'll probably see my copy of Ravenloft for sale here. Perhaps someone else would like to give it a try...or just use the miniatures for HeroQuest.

I also play the forbidden island! I even bought 6 miniatures from Reaper last weekend, along with some other figures for HQ, just for this game! :D

50007: Veronica Blaze, Agent of G.U.A.R.D. (4.49) x1
50058: Navy Seal Diver (3.74) x1
50087: Dan McDermott, Archaeologist (4.49) x1
50158: Grant Dylan, Heroic Pilot (4.49) x1
59003: Dr. Darius Hellstromme (5.24) x1
60106: Pathfinder Explorer (5.47) x1

Courier:

Diver:

Explorer:

Pilot:

Engineer:

Navigator:
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: D&D Castle Ravenloft

Postby HeroQuestFrance » December 12th, 2012, 7:56 am

Do you have al ink to this forbidden island ?
I played to "escape from atlantis" a year ago and I have bought the new version "The Island" but I don't think we're talking the same boardgame...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby LordZeke » December 12th, 2012, 9:47 am

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
LordZeke

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Blackthorn » December 12th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Sjeng wrote:I also play the forbidden island! I even bought 6 miniatures from Reaper last weekend, along with some other figures for HQ, just for this game! :D

Sjeng, that's really cool! 8-) The only thing about Forbidden Island I'd change would be to use miniatures instead of pawns for the player characters. Your choices look perfect. Are these metal miniatures or plastic?
Last edited by Blackthorn on December 12th, 2012, 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » December 12th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Blackthorn wrote:
Sjeng wrote:I also play the forbidden island! I even bought 6 miniatures from Reaper last weekend, along with some other figures for HQ, just for this game! :D

Sjeng, that's really cool! 8-) The only thing about Forbidden Island I'd change would be to use miniatures instead of pawns for the player characters. Your choices look perfect. Are these metal miniatures or plastic?

They're metal. Reaper mostly has metal figures. their plastic line is new and called "bones" (which had an awesome kickstarter earlier this year).

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Forbidden Island

Postby Daedalus » December 12th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Sjeng wrote:
Blackthorn wrote:

They're metal. Reaper mostly has metal figures. their plastic line is new and called "bones" (which had an awesome kickstarter earlier this year).
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » December 12th, 2012, 7:30 pm

The original German version comes with figures.

But this fan-made printable flood-marker is really impressive:

Even the build instructions are cool.

I love Boardgamegeek. Here's a link to the images needed to create it.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » December 13th, 2012, 2:16 am

yeah, I know about the german version. ugly minis though :P
I like those artifacts painted like that. Got a bigger pic of those?

And wow, nice tower!!!

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blackthorn » December 13th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Sjeng wrote:yeah, I know about the german version. ugly minis though :P

They are ugly miniatures...yet, I still want a set! ;)
Fear the chinkle!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
Blackthorn

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » December 14th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Sjeng wrote:
I like those artifacts painted like that. Got a bigger pic of those?

Here ya go.

ImageImageImageImage
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Other Games Room