• Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Dungeons and Dragons Adaptation.

Topics relating to Dungeons & Dragons.

Dungeons and Dragons Adaptation.

Postby Nephew of Mentor » Monday February 20th, 2012 10:13am

I know that this section of the forum is likely intended to focus on the Dungeons and Dragons adventure board game, buuuuuuuut I was curious if anyone has ever seen Heroquest adapted to a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 campaign that uses the Heroquest board, characters, and adaptations of the creatures and items. I once determined to do so myself, but then I realized how much work there is behind conversions. I really learned a newfound respect for the people that have undertaken even the smallest conversions in the past. Let me know, thanks.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Dungeons and Dragons Adaptation.

Postby cynthialee » Monday February 20th, 2012 10:50am

I have ussed the HQ dungeons as premade dungeons for AD&D. (yes the first edition....)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Monday February 20th, 2012 12:22pm

I do not know how 3.5 works but I do know that for old school it is pretty easy.
Figure that the HQ dungeons are perfect for 5-10th level dungeons.
Goblins are 1 HD monsters with a D4 damage attack. Save as 0 level men at arms.
Orks are 2 HD monsters with a D6 damage attack. Save as a 1-5th level fighter.
Fimir are 3-5 HD monsters depending on where they are placed in the maze, D8 damage attack. Save as a Fighter 1-5. Could just substitute Lizard Men and get away with it well enough.
Zombies 1 HD monsters with a D8 attack. Immune to any spell that may affect mind. (they are mindless...) Save as a fighter 1-5.
Skeletons. 2 HD monster with a D8 attack. Imune to mind effecting spells. Save as a fighter 1-5.
(most of those listed monsters you could just use by the book as listed in the sourse manuals and consider the Fimir a Lizard Man.)
Mummies in HQ are no where near as powerful as D&D mummies. So we have to through away the book here or consider that HQ mummies are just more powerful Zombies. Give them 3HD and a D10 attack. Save as a fighter level 6+.
The Blood Thirster (gargoyle) could be an issue. The D and D gargoyle could do the job but it isn't really a gargoyle and we all know that. It is a Blood Thirster and the closest thing in D and D for that is some form of Demon or Devil like the Pit Fiend. But this monster is way out of class with the rest of the monsters....
Chaos Warriors are easy enough. Figure they are the equivilant of a level 6 Fighter with full Plate and a dex bonus of +2. Weapon damage is D10 +2.
Chaos Wizzards....ok this is can be an issue. I would go with a simple level 5/5 Magic Usser/Cleric. The witch lord I would make a level 10/8 Magic Usser/Cleric.

Spells...to much of a pain in the ass to figure them all out. Just go with the D and D spell rules for the casters.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nephew of Mentor » Monday February 20th, 2012 12:42pm

Wow, well done. I need to find an opportunity to use this when I get back to the US. Haha. If you are talking original DnD I'll have no choice but to print off the original handbook and chainmail pdfs, oh how horrible.
Sure it's pretty scary when the witch lord returns but what you should really be afraid of is "Resurrection of the Witch Lord". Resurrected baddies always come back more threatening than ever, usually kind of demonic with wings and horns and hell fire to announce their arrival. Think Gannondorf or Mother Brain from Super Metroid.

Rewards:
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Monday February 20th, 2012 1:09pm

I was talking the first edition of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. The hard bound editions.
I never played the old school way with chainmal rules. (I am old but not that old,. Ok Ok I am that old but I didn't start playing until the publishing of the hard bound books.)
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » Monday February 20th, 2012 1:21pm

The issue of Healing can come up so if you use the standard issue Hero templates as per HQ. So I would make the Mage a Magic Usser/Cleric and the Elf I would have him/her played as a multi class Fighter/Magic Usser/Cleric.

For the Heroes I would sugest.
Barbarian is a Ranger start him at level 2. Give him maximum hit points. Do not roll for them. He will NEED the extra Hit Points. (this would be 24 Hit Points without a constitution bonus as the ranger has a D8 per hit dice and starts at level 1 with 2D8)
Dwarf is a Fighter start him at level 3. Remember that Dwarves get special dungeon skills as per the A D and D rules.
Elf is a Fighter/Magic Usser/Cleric start at level 3/1/2. It might seem overly powerful but the long term experiance point costs to play this guy will even it out.
Mage is a Magic Usser/Cleric start him at level 3/3. Without the dual class cleric the lack of healing spells will criple the heroes.

EDIT: oh and of course the Patron Diety/Demi God of the Heroes is Sigmar Heldenhammer.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » Monday February 20th, 2012 4:20pm

Got me thinking on this topic all day!

Dug out my old books and gave them a once over.
The Elf could be played as a Druid if you bend the rules and allow for Elvin Druids. (I always have, but I never believed in Class/Level limits bassed on character race.*) Start him at level 3. This could crimp the style of the HQ flavor though with the armor and weapons restrictions of the Druid.

*off topic: Reminds me of a particular Halfling Druid (Thistleberry of the Elder Groves) in my dungeons that reached an exalted level 12. Pretty crack nappy. The racial adjustments and abilities combined with the Druids powers made for a very powerful Druid...
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nephew of Mentor » Tuesday February 21st, 2012 1:12am

I'm actually one of those guys who gets an idea in his head and it sticks with him and hounds him till he is distracted by something else. Sounds like you might be a little that way too, haha. I'm glad, or sorry(depending on your own disposition) that I could provide such fodder for thought.

Rewards:
Nephew of Mentor

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » Tuesday February 21st, 2012 9:08am

Check my saturday night dungeon thread for some adaptation to a similar system - Beernut started out with D&D as a kid, but then developed his own RPG, Archetypes.
It's what we're basically using now, from what I understand...though we had started out initially with HQ, house rules (from his Archetypes) were quickly added...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Tuesday February 21st, 2012 11:39am

Part of the reason why the HQ dungeons are survivable is the treasure deck has a number of healing potions. In AD&D simulation obviously there will be no treasure deck involved so it will be a very good idea to either stock the dungeons with a few randomly hidden heal potions or be sure the heroes are well stocked with healing scrolls and potions before they enter a maze.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next