• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Comparing the AHQ Variants

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Comparing the AHQ Variants

Postby mitchiemasha » March 30th, 2018, 4:08 am

RECIVS wrote:To be honest, I have come to learn that the concept of "fun" is a subjective matter.

Agreed totally. It's only my opinion but 1 i'll always be adamant to, lol! For fun, surely in solo play, a roll to move would be even more so. Remember those "runes of destiny"? Now the story you're playing unfolds through less of your control, more surprises to theme. If you don't want to bring it back all the time, try it in DARK dungeons only. Bringing in a torch bearer. Once outside his range, the hero must bear one (is that even the right word?) them selves or roll to move. Could even limit the torch life to add variety, needed speed to some quests.

A Torch bearer is a thug or scout hired from the INN in my mods. Bearing a torch in the same area allows the movement roll to be rerolled. I've just made that up, previously i didn't have a specific for the mechanic "illuminates dark corridors" as wrote on my Armoury (featured here). The torch can also be used to cancel mummies paralysis special ability (featured here)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » March 30th, 2018, 4:15 am

I'm loving the idea of bats been in the Tomb. I need to get myself some bat minis from the original Warhammer Quest

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » March 30th, 2018, 10:10 pm

WHQ is indeed a very good source of minis. Thanks for sharing these ideas. If possible, I'd like to look into your variant when it's ready.

By the way, I've made a few minor corrections to the comparison. I just noticed that I posted the text without my last edits.
RECIVS

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 23rd, 2018, 4:27 pm

Thanks for assembling that comparison. It's a very informative look at mods for Hero Quest's closest relation.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » May 24th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Daedalus wrote:Thanks for assembling that comparison. It's a very informative look at mods for Hero Quest's closest relation.

No problem. It's a part of my English training. I'm still working on the comparison; AHQ 2 will be included soon.
RECIVS

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » July 20th, 2018, 1:00 am

I’ve just updated the comparison to include Advanced HeroQuest 2 along with a link to its files; I believe all the major variants are now covered, at least the ones I know about. Several minor corrections and wording changes have also been made throughout the text. I hope it can be of some use.
RECIVS

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » August 16th, 2018, 8:30 am

Very cool thread, thanks for all your hard work! I'd love to see something similar for standard HeroQuest. Not sure how many variants are out there...
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » September 1st, 2018, 1:02 am

No problem. It is something I enjoy doing.
Last edited by RECIVS on July 1st, 2019, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
RECIVS

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » July 10th, 2019, 1:14 am

I've made some minor corrections and additions to the comparison. I hope it may be of some use.
RECIVS

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Valnar Nightrunner » February 16th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Hi.

I personnaly have my own variant of AHQ. Basic rules are the same as the original, but I include new mechanisms to progress in the game, like Experience Point, but it's working more like de Warhammer RPG. Power Points are included to represent the Winds of Magic, in the form of a D4 roll at the beginning of each expedition, and it's working the same as spell components. Wizards have up to 20 spells for each College of Magic, Battle Magic, Elemental Magic. For the Monsters, all Chaos spells, Black Magic Spells, Necro Spells, Skavens Spells, Green Skins spells and Chaos Dwarves Spells are included in each Monster Bestiary. I included character Class (Warriors, Knights, Thiefs, Rangers, Gladiators, Barbarians, Vampire Hunters, Repurgators, Dwarf Slayers, Elf War Dancers, Priests of Morr, Sigmar, Shallya, Verena, Ulric,, Myrmidia, Solkan and their Spell Lists (only 10 for each) and all character have his special ability, except for Wizards). Halflings are fully available. The Men at Arms list have been extended : you can have the classical mercenaries, with different weapons, but you can have Brothers in Arms, basically a weaker variant of your character. Wizards can have a Familiar. Between quests, your characters group can buy a little fortress, a mercenary guild, a wizard laboratory, and so on. Travel rules are fully compatible with all kind of AHQ variants, with hexagons and full rules for a random land generator. And... a thing or two...
Maître Haut Elfe sur un arbre perché, tenait dans son bec l'Enclume des nains.... (Ca sent la fracture de Crâne) http://ahqnewgen.clicforum.com/index.php
Valnar Nightrunner

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room