• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Postby RECIVS » Saturday July 29th, 2017 1:32am

AHQ Reforged: Revised & Revamped–as the title suggests–is a set of variant rules for Slev's Advanced HeroQuest Reforged.

A variant of a variant, implemented as a mod. If I had to describe it in a few words, I would say it is basically a cross between AHQ Reforged and AHQ Second Edition, with a heavy dose of house rules.

The project offers a revised version of Reforged (reimplementing the original AHQ mechanics and fixing the bottleneck issue) added with a new character-development system inspired by AHQ Second Edition and Descent, all combined with our house rules and some elements borrowed from the other AHQ variants.

At the core level it retains most of the original mechanics, so it plays more like Advanced HeroQuest than Reforged does. However, the recent implementations (working cohesively with Slev's system and refinements) provide new options that spice up the experience considerably.

It is designed to be a tactical dungeon bash, light and uncomplicated but varied and engaging at the same time. It is focused on exploring dungeons, fighting monsters, finding treasures, and developing your character(s) in a challenging environment.

This is a non-profit effort based on shared work. Our goal is to evolve Advanced HeroQuest to the level it deserves as an exceptional and unique dungeon-crawl system ahead of its time.

It is a project in progress, so the purpose of the attached document is to share what we have so far (as an open test version) in order to receive criticism that may be useful for its improvement. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

AHQ-Revamping Squad’s Workshop
Last edited by RECIVS on Monday April 16th, 2018 8:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Re: A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Postby Figomurphy » Sunday July 30th, 2017 9:25am

I'll have a read through this later. Good stuff.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Sunday July 30th, 2017 12:51pm

Figomurphy wrote:I'll have a read through this later. Good stuff.

Thank you!

I know it may look daunting and complicated at first, but actually only a few pages of the Core Rules, Example Heroes, and Bestiaries are needed to start playing (if you're familiar with Reforged). Most of the changes come into play after completing a quest. It now plays even more like the original Advanced HeroQuest than before.

The new rules are mostly commonsensical, straightforward, and easy to remember. It is a matter of some dedication and practice that may be very well rewarded.
RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby RECIVS » Saturday November 4th, 2017 10:51pm

Version 1.55 has been released!

Several tweaks and corrections have been made. As usual, a list of updates is included in the attached document. Anyway, I believe the most relevant updates are:

--The bestiaries have been tweaked and expanded; Hordes of Chaos, Beastmen, Ogres, and Trolls are now included.

--Enemies with Points Value of 1 are now less powerful than in the past version, as their Characteristics have been slightly adjusted downward. However, the original stronger monsters have been included as optional alternatives, for added difficulty. I have come to realize that relatively strong Enemies with Points Value of 1 (like the ones in Advanced HeroQuest) should be used prudently, as they have the potential of wreaking game balance, especially when they come in groups of six or more.

--The rules for placing Wandering Monsters in passages have been tweaked; the position of the party members in passages is now more relevant.

--Spiders in the Cave! has been added as an introductory quest. It has been designed as a gently preparation for the relentless difficulty of the game, as it may be discouraging for new players. Hopefully, it will be completed easily and quickly, providing the Heroes with additional Equipment, Fate Points, and Gold Coins that will allow even more customization while increasing the chances of survival. As a result of the adjustments made to the bestiaries in the past version, the main issue to deal with has been the excessive difficulty of the first Expedition under the default rules. I believe this quest is an effective and clean solution, as it fixes not only the issue of early difficulty, but it also balances the game overall and makes it more playable. At the same time, the default system is preserved unaltered, which remains as an option for fearless newcomers.

After more than three years in development the core mechanics finally seem settled and functional. From this point on I do not plan to introduce new rules or more changes other than corrections and adjustments, as I am now more focused on playtesting. However, more Enemies, Heroic Feats, and Skills may be included in the next releases.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby RECIVS » Friday March 2nd, 2018 3:20am

Version 1.6 is now available!

As usual, a list with the latest updates is included in the document, but they are mostly minor corrections and adjustments. Among the main changes, Chaos Dwarves and Dark Elves have been added to the bestiary.

I have been playtesting this version over the last few months, and it appears to be working considerably well. However, I am still focused on the new Heroic Feats, particularly on detecting exploitable combinations between them.

It is the result of almost four years of dedication to the project. I believe it has reached a higher level of maturity, as it now feels more solid and balanced. During my sessions I now spend more time playing the game than taking notes, which in my opinion is a good indicator of progress.

As mentioned before, the design and potential of the original base system will never cease to amaze me.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » Friday March 9th, 2018 11:44am

AHQ does so much but suffers from bloat, in my opinion. I think it's great that you got the base rules down to a five-page document.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Friday March 9th, 2018 2:21pm

Interesting. I, on the contrary, believe it needs even more content in order to be playable at all. Could you please elaborate a little more on it?
RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » Friday March 9th, 2018 6:31pm

I haven't seen the original rules in a while, but my impression was that it was too wordy. A lot of reading is often needed to get at the rule within a passage. I would have preferred the text to be truncated more like your document to help speed referencing during play.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Friday March 9th, 2018 7:52pm

Oh, the rules. I thought you meant the game was bloated. Yes, the rulebook could have been more concise. I hope the summary will make things easier for newcomers.
RECIVS

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » Saturday March 10th, 2018 3:11pm

I probably shouldn't have chosen "bloated." I don't recall a ton about my short play experience when the game was released way back. We liked it's chunkier feel, but we're not happy with the random roll needed to find the quest objective room.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room