• Advertisement

A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Postby RECIVS » Saturday July 29th, 2017 1:32am

Hello everyone!

I want to share a project I've been working on over the last couple of years. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

AHQ-Revamping Squad's Workshop
Last edited by RECIVS on Monday July 31st, 2017 10:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
RECIVS

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Re: A Revision of Advanced HeroQuest Reforged

Postby Figomurphy » Sunday July 30th, 2017 9:25am

I'll have a read through this later. Good stuff.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Figomurphy

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby RECIVS » Sunday July 30th, 2017 12:51pm

Figomurphy wrote:I'll have a read through this later. Good stuff.

Thank you!

I know it may look daunting and complicated at first, but actually only a few pages of the Core Rules, Example Heroes, and Bestiaries are needed to start playing (if you're familiar with Reforged). Most of the changes come into play after completing a quest. It now plays even more like the original Advanced HeroQuest than before.

The new rules are mostly commonsensical, straightforward, and easy to remember. It is a matter of some dedication and practice that may be very well rewarded.
RECIVS

Hero:

Postby RECIVS » Saturday November 4th, 2017 10:51pm

Version 1.55 has been released!

Several tweaks and corrections have been made. As usual, a list of updates is included in the attached document. Anyway, I believe the most relevant updates are:

--The bestiaries have been tweaked and expanded; Hordes of Chaos, Beastmen, Ogres, and Trolls are now included.

--Enemies with Points Value of 1 are now less powerful than in the past version, as their Characteristics have been slightly adjusted downward. However, the original stronger monsters have been included as optional alternatives, for added difficulty. I have come to realize that relatively strong Enemies with Points Value of 1 (like the ones in Advanced HeroQuest) should be used prudently, as they have the potential of wreaking game balance, especially when they come in groups of six or more.

--The rules for placing Wandering Monsters in passages have been tweaked; the position of the party members in passages is now more relevant.

--Spiders in the Cave! has been added as an introductory quest. It has been designed as a gently preparation for the relentless difficulty of the game, as it may be discouraging for new players. Hopefully, it will be completed easily and quickly, providing the Heroes with additional Equipment, Fate Points, and Gold Coins that will allow even more customization while increasing the chances of survival. As a result of the adjustments made to the bestiaries in the past version, the main issue to deal with has been the excessive difficulty of the first Expedition under the default rules. I believe this quest is an effective and clean solution, as it fixes not only the issue of early difficulty, but it also balances the game overall and makes it more playable. At the same time, the default system is preserved unaltered, which remains as an option for fearless newcomers.

After more than three years in development the core mechanics finally seem settled and functional. From this point on I do not plan to introduce new rules or more changes other than corrections and adjustments, as I am now more focused on playtesting. However, more Enemies, Heroic Feats, and Skills may be included in the next releases.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

AHQ-Revamping Squad’s Workshop
RECIVS

Hero:

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room