• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Sounds cool, is it good?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Sounds cool, is it good?

Postby DragonHead » June 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am

Hey, I am mainly just a regular heroquest user bu I'm very interested about it, I hear it has like new rat monster thing that starts with an s, a scraken or ssomething , What are the major differences? Is it harder? Is it more fun? Is it alot more complicated? tell me more
Clairclaw, The witch lord even The Terror King and Zargon bow before me, part before my will, my power.I am all mighty, I control the universe,the mage of all, the destroyer of nations,I am the creator, I am Dragonhead!!!!!
DragonHead

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Sounds cool, is it good?

Postby drathe » June 3rd, 2010, 9:08 pm

I've never actually played, nor read the rules thoroughly. Mainly got it to expand HeroQuest.

Differences I know of:
  • Modular pieces for truly random dungeons rather than a game board
  • Advancement system
  • More Hero stats
  • Skaven and Henchmen
  • More spells

It's very expensive. There was only one expansion and no new miniatures. Most monsters had tokens and you were encouraged to purchase more citadel miniatures to expand the game. It wasn't supported as much as HeroQuest so it died pretty fast.

Someone who has played it will need to fill you in with more details.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 4th, 2010, 9:37 am

TOKENS for monsters? DOPEY.

Sounds like they could of taken on D&D market if they had only executed it right.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DragonHead » June 19th, 2010, 1:09 pm

How can I find people who played it aren't they in this forum!? :!: :?:
Clairclaw, The witch lord even The Terror King and Zargon bow before me, part before my will, my power.I am all mighty, I control the universe,the mage of all, the destroyer of nations,I am the creator, I am Dragonhead!!!!!
DragonHead

Mummy
Mummy

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 19th, 2010, 3:15 pm

There are a few who stop by from time to time. Most of us here enjoy HeroQuest so much we don't see the need to dive into something far more complicated. We just scavenge the tiles and miniatures for HQ needs.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » June 19th, 2010, 8:23 pm

I found the rules online - its really complicated. More so, even, than dungeons and dragons, in some cases.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » June 20th, 2010, 7:49 am

Advanced HeroQuest is the prototype of Warhammer Quest but also the ancestor of our favourite HeroQuest, brandmark deposited in june 1983 by Games Workshop. They planed to make something good but a little bit more complicated.
It has been cancelled when they have decided to work with MB to expand their material to a large public.
So something more simple has been developed including 3D elements and choosing for a modular board not several parts.
Trying to win their own money, Games Workshop had finally released the HeroQuest but Advanced version this time.
Only one expansion (terror in the dark) and a excellent system to play.

The game master launch dices to generate the dunjeon parts (corridors, rooms, doors etc) and you can play it with heroquest contain too.
Traps include ambushes, wandering monsters, pits etc using tokens the GM can trig when he wants.
The monsters and heroes can run to escape and comeback later, spells are now more roleplay needing several recipes & elements. The fate point system is excellent (to avoid a wound, to reroll dices etc) and you can custom your character; a kind of leveling increasing abilities of your hero.
The box itself doesn't contain a lot of different figurines/elements :
-> 4 new heroes
-> 20 skavens
-> 20 henchmens
-> 6 plastic moving doors.
(double ones u can use with HQ)
It's very simple in fact :
3 steps ; exploring -> u launch dices to know what you discover (doors, secret doors, a room, a corridor, a furniture into the room, a treasure)
Fighting -> monsters are in the room (u attack or they attack first : initiative test) or you have draw a bad event.

It gives a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE part to roleplaying. You have as the game master to imagine the villages, towns, giant cities the heroes will rest between 2 quests, the new spells, you can expand the armory as u wish give penalities to such armor set or weapons etc etc etc

Some years later, Warhammer Quest appeared with a basic system and advanced rules using those tables of dices Advanced HeroQuest introduced...

My opinion : it's a good game but too many dices to launch.

To get a nice dunjeoning game :
Replace the dunjeon generation by using cards (like in whq) :
EXPLORATION :
2 decks : one to know corridors or room, another deck to know what funriture GM puts in the room. (nothing, a table, a treasure chest, traps - only gm see the card and reveal it later )
TREASURE SEARCHS :
Include bad event and wandering monsters

You can use also the stats of the monsters and heroes of whq basic game.
Adapt the armory and artefacts to this.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 20th, 2010, 10:26 am

I agree the one thing I really find tedious is loads of dice rolling.

But then when I play something like Diablo on the computer, it becomes tedious with the same encounters over and over....heh...
Plus the computer game simply isn't the same thing as a board in front of you. And even though it's plastic figs with no animation, when the DM says "E tries to block, and you take is ead off."
"FIVE attack vs ONE defence. Well. the Goblin TRIES to defend, but you DETONATE im. There's blood and guts EVERYWHERE."

So - are there modular bits 'o' dungeon available here that we can string together in HQ that go beyond the regular board?
heh heh heh.

Gonna need more HQ furniture...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room