• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced Heroquest dungeon generator

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Advanced Heroquest dungeon generator

Postby Mophus » Tuesday July 21st, 2015 10:40am

I've made an excel-based generator (german), which shows the content of a corridor or room. AHQ/TitD rules and all the monster matrices are considered. So the generator gives the type of room, special rules, doors, monsters and treasure. This is still a great improvement compared to consulting all the tables and rolling dice on them.

Of course there is no visualisation possible. So I'm thinking about a "real" dungeon generator for AHQ, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel. Does such a generator already exist, or is there a program which can be edited to use the AHQ rules/tiles?

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Mophus

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Advanced Heroquest dungeon generator

Postby Sjeng » Tuesday July 21st, 2015 3:33pm

No idea, not a programmer, but that would certainly be interesting.

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Doomguard
Doomguard

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » Tuesday July 21st, 2015 4:10pm

I know of no such thing....
You know what, if it turns out that there isn't then this could be a great opportunity for you and maybe sorcerersapprentice might do the tile/graphics for you. A profitable endeavour indeed!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » Wednesday July 22nd, 2015 2:31pm

Ok, I've found a AHQ generator on BGG. The graphic is very basic, but the rules behind seem for a first look correct:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/12925/ahq-map-generatorzip

The error message at the start can be ignored. Just load one of the supplied *.tab files (the separated files in the folder "tab" don't work for me - instead choose on of the maindirectory like "dark.tab").
Last edited by Mophus on Thursday July 23rd, 2015 4:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Mophus

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Baylor_OgreBane » Wednesday July 22nd, 2015 4:25pm

post a link so I/we can have a look.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Baylor_OgreBane

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Thursday July 23rd, 2015 7:10am

Mophus wrote:I've made an excel-based generator (german), which shows the content of a corridor or room.

Of course there is no visualisation possible.

It is actually quite doable to draw boxes in Excel XY chart windows. If you were to color code the rooms in a list, then you can draw the boxes in the proper spot on a large chart and reference the colored entry for the room description (the part you already have).

What stops the random dungeon (rolls or drawn from a deck) from winding back on itself?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Mophus » Thursday July 23rd, 2015 10:01am

... draw the boxes in the proper spot on a large chart ...

I don't think this is possible, as excel can't address information to empty fields. Of course drawing is limited possible with excel. But a random dungeon with junctions and random placed doors and rooms? - That must be VBA magic.

What stops the random dungeon (rolls or drawn from a deck) from winding back on itself?
That's another important question, which is from my point of view impossible for a whole dungeon with excel.

AHQ solves this finally with deadends/fakedoors and a second search for secret doors in already checked areas.

Rewards:
Mophus

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Friday July 24th, 2015 12:18am

Mophus wrote:
... draw the boxes in the proper spot on a large chart ...

I don't think this is possible, as excel can't address information to empty fields. Of course drawing is limited possible with excel. But a random dungeon with junctions and random placed doors and rooms? - That must be VBA magic.

That's another important question, which is from my point of view impossible for a whole dungeon with excel.

AHQ solves this finally with deadends/fakedoors and a second search for secret doors in already checked areas.

I wrote a full reply, but of course it was somehow lost when I asked for a "preview".

Nothing is impossible. It is easier than you think. An XY plot with 50 reserved elements (50 sets of 10? XY points). Leave them blank. Then fill in one set, and it draws interactively for you. A green square here, a blue rectangle there... Now connect the rest up.

I have done this for an Excel visualization of a vehicle dynamics simulation (time lapse). It gets laughs and dropped jaws from my co-workers. But it's actually not that difficult. No VBA anywhere.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Usergroups:

Postby Mophus » Friday July 24th, 2015 2:53am

Example file, please.

Rewards:
Mophus

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Monday July 27th, 2015 12:31am

This file (.XLS from Libre Office):
dungeon.xls

Draws this dungeon when you plot (Cols 'S' and 'T') in an XY Scatter (with line):
ExcelDungeon.jpg

Making the axes 1:1 and deleting the display of the axes makes it look like a draw window.

I lack the patience to draw the rooms in different colors (thereby key coding the rooms), but that is not difficult and only a one-time setup thing.

Note that the formulas for each draw point would "drag and fill" very easily if the room based constant terms (assigned in the first row of each room) were dragged as well. As an undocumented example, it would be a lot less clear if I did that. So I had to do a lot of manual editing for each room.

The file is a start. I don't think we actually *want* to do this... but if you really do, I can certainly continue. Missing here is all of the logic to automatically connect the nodes (possible doorways) in each room. In my notation Node 1 is North, 2 East, 3 South and 4 West. But the whole thing is totally generic (there can easily be two East doors, etc.). The room type should define the possible nodes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room