• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Info Needed Please

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Info Needed Please

Postby DarrynVarson » June 9th, 2009, 4:55 am

Okay,
In my research for all things HeroQuest I came across Advanced HeroQuest. What is the deal with this exactly. Wanted to get some info. Thanks for all the help.

Dv
DarrynVarson

Goblin
Goblin

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Info Needed Please

Postby Phoenix » June 9th, 2009, 11:22 am

Games Workshop loved the initial response it got with HeroQuest (of which they only supplied the miniature and Milton Bradly had primary rights to) so Advanced HeroQuest was created. It used some basic concepts of HeroQuest, but created a whole new experience insofar as rules and dungeon delving. It has a section in the rule book on how to convert HQ heroes and monsters and equipment into AHQ rules.

I've looked over the rules for AHQ a few times, primarily trying to draw some ideas for my HQ advanced ruleset, but I didn't really like how it was set up to play. There are a few out there who have done a better job combining the two rulesets than Games Workshop did, but I still wouldnt give up my HQ for AHQ.

(by the way, I did purchase a copy of AHQ because it was cheap and enjoyed the new miniatures that I recieved (Skaven, Men-at-arms, alternate Hero figures, etc.)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 9th, 2009, 11:45 am

Phoenix wrote:(by the way, I did purchase a copy of AHQ because it was cheap and enjoyed the new miniatures that I recieved (Skaven, Men-at-arms, alternate Hero figures, etc.)

Don't forget the tiles, they're basic, but they're nice to use just to change up the look and feel of a fan quest. The tiles are a modular system, instead of using a game board, the tiles are laid out as players explore.

I'm not keen on the system to play. I got mine for expanding the classic version. I find Advanced HeroQuest too complex with the additional stats. The advancement is more complicated than I'd like. My games are played mostly with people who are new to fantasy and role-playing games. Classic HeroQuest has a simplistic charm that easily draws in new players.

There are better fan made advancement systems out there than AHQ (although there are many people who prefer AHQ over HQ, but to each their own.) My personal favourite is Phoenix' system, The Imperial Academy, found on his [url]Resource[/url] page. Phoenix has effectively captures HeroQuest's simplistic charm in his advancement supplement, which also gives the players unique goals to work toward as they quest throughout the game. There's something new for each Hero type and it maintains the balance that HeroQuest begins with. Wizard players should be especially excited as they tend to get the short end of the stick in the regular game.

If you're looking for this set on eBay, be prepared to fork up a boat load. The game averages $125-150US and shipping is expensive, as they usually come from the UK. Not worth it in my opinion, even for the miniatures and tiles. Luckily, I found mine cheap in a bundle with other HeroQuest sets. It's not in the best condition and it's missing two stair tiles, but the miniatures and tiles are in good enough shape and that's all I want it for.

If you happen to pick one up, email or PM me. I can pass on some AHQ supplements I scanned from various White Dwarf magazines.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Phoenix » June 9th, 2009, 11:16 pm

Yes, I forgot about the tiles, of which I've yet to use or see used. I have used several images from the rule book to enhance some of my re-creations, however. I even used the Medallion as a center piece for my 'Eve of Chaos' expansion pack.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DarrynVarson » June 10th, 2009, 5:31 am

Okay,
I want to thank you all for all the great info. Interesting information indeed. Thanks again.

DV
DarrynVarson

Goblin
Goblin

Postby drathe » June 10th, 2009, 11:10 am

You're welcome. Feel free anytime.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Milk » June 11th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Phoenix wrote:Yes, I forgot about the tiles, of which I've yet to use or see used.

Heh...When I got my hands on AHQ last year, that was one of the first things I did: make a quest using the modular tiles, and actually, I thought it came out rather nicely. It was kind of nice having a whole new freedom to dungeon layout as opposed to only being confined to the board. Of course, I still heavily rely on the board and the large assortment of tiles in existence for usual dungeon creation.
The downside to the modular tile system - I've yet to find a truly good way to create the Quest Maps. :(
"There should always be barbarians to the north."
Milk

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 11th, 2009, 10:13 pm

Milk wrote:The downside to the modular tile system - I've yet to find a truly good way to create the Quest Maps. :(

If you have Photoshop, or similar software, you could take scans of the tiles and make icons, resize them and use the grid-locking guides to drag and drop the icons into place. It'll take some time to edit all the pieces, but once you have all the icons done, making a quest map would be a breeze.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Milk » June 11th, 2009, 11:07 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have Photoshop. However, I have scans/icons of about half of the tiles - just never got around to completing the ones I still need. I actually, use a method very similiar to what you've mentioned - albeit a bit more backwards and clunky. (I'll need to see if I have a grid-lock option. Hmm, why have I never thought of that?)
"There should always be barbarians to the north."
Milk

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby HeroQuestFrance » July 30th, 2009, 5:55 am

Why didn't you ask me it before !?
I can provide you those precious scans !
I know also some places where to get the pdf rulebook.
But the main question is : do you have the right to do it since it's a entire GW product that may be FFG will release...?
(WHQ & SH are going to be released)

However the only expansion (terror in the dark) isn't interesting since it's too expensive for paper blocks & 2 or 3 cardboard floor tiles ! It doesn't bring new things that's why I didn't buy it.

To resume shortly ADVANCED HEROQUEST is still a boardgame into dunjeons with nice adventures but more evoluted than warhammer quest or descent.You can use your heroquest material without a problem and add more.
The important things you need to know about this gameboard :

* compatible with heroquest and all the expansions.
* 4 new heroes, 20 henchmen & 20 skaven figurines.
* a modular board.
* 6 plastic doors. (you can open it)
* levels for all characters. (including magic powers)
* a challenge between the heroes and the gamemaster. (the GM role is better)
* dices to dterminate into hazard tables.
* a lot of cardboard sheets representing grids,traps, chests (that's a bad point) etc.
* a huge rulebook including quests you can play as a serial.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room