• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Was this released in the US?

Topics related to Games Workshops Advanced HeroQuest.

Re: Was this released in the US?

Postby chaoticprime » December 15th, 2013, 5:52 pm

I have Terror in the Dark, and I got it from an American.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Cael Darkhollow » October 5th, 2020, 4:15 am

Yes Advanced HeroQuest, the Paint set and Terror in the Dark expansions all were sold in the U.S.
I got mine in a hobby shop that sold D&D, Warhammer, comics, and other board games.
HeroQuest, the 4 U.S. HQ expansions (but not Wizards of Morcar or Against the Ogre horde or the Design kit) and Battlemasters were available in larger retail stores. I got mine at K-Mart and Shopko.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 8th, 2021, 1:29 pm

Hero Quest, KK & ROTWL and Battlemasters were definitely released in retail in the US. I wonder if those specialty shops imported Advanced Hero Quest from the UK and that's why they carried it? I guess if the suggested retail price was in pounds vs. dollars that would answer that question.

Does anybody recall seeing EQP or BQP in regular stores? I never saw them and never heard about them except through the mail order fliers included with KK/ROTWL.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby iKarith » April 10th, 2021, 4:54 am

chaoticprime wrote:I have Terror in the Dark, and I got it from an American.

To be fair, I'm an American and I have AHQ … but my copy was shipped across the pond. I got my copy and the AHQ paint set (with paints I presumed would be dry as a bone due to improper storage if nothing else) for a song. Shipping them was significantly more than the cost I paid to buy them, and when I discovered it was completely a different game that was really designed to get me to start buying more (OOP and without reasonable equivalent) individual minis … I was a little annoyed with what didn't come in the box. Terror in the Dark has to be much rarer in the US than the original because it's an expansion for something already very rare.

I'm glad I own it (AHQ, I don't have Terror in the Dark) because it gave me a supply of skaven for use in HQ, and the tiles are always useful … but if I had paid what I see it going for on eBay NOW, especially potentially plus international postage, I would have felt like I wasted my money. Especially since it turrns out making dungeon tiles (the real draw of AHQ in the end) doesn't require much crafting skill, and skaven only appear in a White Dwarf quest which was clearly intended to be for AHQ owners anyway.

AHQ is a part of my collection I'm glad to own … but I don't pull it out much because it's not HeroQuest and it doesn't really work with HQ very well, if I'm honest. Maybe I'll pick up some Zealot HQ bases or something and make my skaven _properly_ part of HQ. I mean, I'm more interested in doing that than rebasing my MB figs for round. But most likely I'll just leave them as they are, one and all. I don't really need them all to be based the same, do I? And it's not like the American lipless sortahexagonal base is really all that iconic in the end.

Anyhow, just the one expansion makes it pretty clear GW considers AHQ to not have been a success.
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Cael Darkhollow » April 10th, 2021, 9:32 pm

there seems to be some confusion, let me clear that right up:
Adanced HeroQuest, Advanced HeroQuest Terror in the Dark expansion, and Advanced HeroQuest Paint set were all released in the United States, I bought them from the game stores here.
Advanced HeroQuest with all expansions and boxed sets
This base game has modular dungeon tiles and Skaven ratmen as badguys, the expansion has undead, the paint set has hero minis

HeroQuest Advanced Quest Edition is the regular HeroQuest base game but with the Dark company mega quest booklet (4 boards set up) included and the mercenary extra miniatures to represent as the dark company. It was released in the U.K. only in english, possibly other countries in Europe for foreign language versions ( Germany I think) it was never available in the U.S.
similar name not the same game as Advanced HeroQuest hence the confusion
UK HeroQuest expansions and boxed sets

Yes, the expansions were sold retail in stores in the U.S. I bought them all, I never mailed away for anything.
All US HeroQuest expansions and boxed sets

the main Battlemasters boardgame was sold in stores in the U.S. but both expansions were U.K. only and the base game is slightly different in color, stickers and some names of units
Battlemasters UK and US versions and expansion sets (both expansions available UK only, UK base game bottom left)
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby iKarith » April 11th, 2021, 12:42 am

What about Warhammer Quest and Space Crusade? (I'm not the least bit confused about what was sold where—though I'll admit I didn't know about the UK expansions to Battle Masters—I just don't own the others and hope you'll post more cool pictures of complete collections! :lol:)
<InSpectreRetro> All hail Zargon!!! Morcar only has 1BP.

Rewards:
Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!
Web Mage
iKarith

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 11th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Nice detective work. It may have been the location I was in, or the fact that I didn't seek out specialty gameshops (if something wasn't available at the local mall, the big box retail stores or the Toys R Us, we didn't know about it). I never saw Advanced Hero Quest and up until now I just kind of assumed it was an import item. We never saw the EQP/BQP in stores around here, but it must have been around for some time in the bigger cities. In 1992 I think we were still going to toy stores if nothing else than Christmas shopping for my younger siblings. I'm sure I would have noticed it, had we had it (sigh). But then again, it may have soured me on Hero Quest had we gotten it, come to think of it.

The rest of the franchise and related material was pretty much off the radar until my college years when the local game shop (and geek community) was all into 40K and I dismissed it as too expensive of a hobby to be worth it (though I did avail myself of some paints, a small brush which I still have and a can of spray matte varnish I still use from time to time). My friends were all into video games so that's what we did, though a few friends were into MTG (or similar type of card games, though I wasn't).

I probably would have gone for EQP/BQP more than Advanced Hero Quest just because the latter seemed to be a whole new game, vs. expansions for the game we already had even if by the way some people tell it, the latter was a better experience out of box.

But yeah, for me, living in the mid-west, its as if Hero Quest just disappeared... a remnant of childhood until the early 2000's when we dusted it off, got nostalgic and started looking online for a fan community and anything cool for sale.

I think it would be cool to try out Battlemasters some time, but I understand its a completely different type of game to HQ, requires a lot of space (which I can't spare right now), and doesn't come cheap. Like a lot of things, my best bet would be to find someone who already has it (or try the homebrew computer game mod) and see what I thought. At one time I wouldn't have even had the patience for a game like Risk, but I'm willing to take one now and then these days...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » April 11th, 2021, 5:22 pm

iKarith wrote:What about Warhammer Quest and Space Crusade? (I'm not the least bit confused about what was sold where—though I'll admit I didn't know about the UK expansions to Battle Masters—I just don't own the others and hope you'll post more cool pictures of complete collections! :lol:)

Warhammer Quest and the expansions and figures were sold in specialty game shops in the U.S., (The old 1995 version, I don't care about the newer 2016 and on versions, they are Age of Sigmar crap or worse. I never bought any of them.)
I did not get it as a teen but bought mine as an adult decades later on eBay.

Space Crusade however, I do not believe ever was sold in the states, I think it was just European. I don't know for sure though. if I had known about it back then I likely would have bought it. I didn't even know about it until many years later from the internet. None of the HeroQuest advertisements in the U.S. mention it, while the European ones do.
Likewise with Mighty Heroes, or Tyrannid Attack I don't believe those games ever saw the states.
I did buy Space Hulk and it's expansions and had plenty of Warhammer 40K. If it was available in the game stores from Games Workshop I would have seen it I think, I was a regular for many years including the important period (HQ, AHQ) from 1989-2000.
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 12th, 2021, 3:07 pm

The paint kit is cool. I mean it makes sense it would exist since they designed it to be painted. I heard about it and thought maybe it was just a little flyer with painting suggestions like what we'd seen before from White Dwarf, but it's a whole box! What else was in the box?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » April 12th, 2021, 7:40 pm

Kurgan wrote:The paint kit is cool. I mean it makes sense it would exist since they designed it to be painted. I heard about it and thought maybe it was just a little flyer with painting suggestions like what we'd seen before from White Dwarf, but it's a whole box! What else was in the box?

My box is empty because the figures I painted and enlisted into Warhammer armies, the paints are long since used and dried, the brush is long gone replaced 50 times by now. The adverts and the paint guide I still have somewhere.
Came with 18 plastic figures to paint, a detail paint brush, 9 acrylic paint pots, and a little painting guide color magazine showing how to paint each type of figure, base paint, shading, inking, highlighting, dry brushing etc.

Advanced Heroquest Hero figures Warrior, Mage, Elf, and Dwarf. ( same sprue as AHQ base game in gray plastic)

one each of Wood Elf, Dark Elf, Orc, Goblin, Skaven, Dwarf from the Fantasy Fighters regiment builder boxed set (on sprue in white plastic)

8 Skeletons on sprues from the Skeleton Horde box.

13 plastic shields on sprues
figure bases on sprues
advertisement sheet showing advanced Heroquest base game and expansion terror in the dark
Games Workshop mail in order form
Box bottom
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Advanced HeroQuest Room