• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Server corruption

All Ye Olde Inn related announcements will be available here for all Guests to read.

Server corruption

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2011, 8:48 am

If you tried accessing the Website over the last 24+ hours, you may have been wondering where we were. At about 2am. GMT-5 we were hit with a massive DDoS attack followed by system file corruption. Thanks to many sleepless hours of our fantastic WebHost MDDHosting, we are back and it appears that no data was lost. However, if you discover something that no longer functions properly, let us know.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Server corruption

Postby ken » June 21st, 2011, 8:56 am

Well Done to all concerned in bringing us back :!: |_P |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » June 21st, 2011, 8:57 am

drathe wrote:If you tried accessing the Website over the last 24+ hours, you may have been wondering where we were.

I tried - quite some times... And I wondered - quite a lot...
Just found you're back. Thought I could write the first post "after", but somehow it seems impossible to start a new thread...
:(
But it's great you're back.

At about 2am. GMT-5 we were hit with a massive DDoS attack followed by system file corruption. Thanks to many sleepless hours of our fantastic WebHost MDDHosting, we are back and it appears that no data was lost.

Congrats!
|_P

PS:
I have somthing to console you a bit for the trouble. Just sent a PN.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 22nd, 2011, 2:15 am

It appears we may have lost a few posts from the time the last back-up was made and when the server went down.

Big Bene: Are you able to start new threads now? Try the General forum and see if you can.

Is anyone else having any problems starting new threads?

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » June 22nd, 2011, 3:43 am

OK, yesterday I was trying to start a thread in the YeOldeInn Feedback forum (which seemed appropriate as I was referring to the server breakdown), and there the "new thread" button was just gone. I didn't test other forums. Now, when I had a look five minutes ago, the button was present in the general heroquest forum, but still absent in the feedback forum.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » June 22nd, 2011, 11:29 am

Any idea who did it?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gambit » June 22nd, 2011, 11:47 am

I had tried to get on. I'm grateful to see your fantastic site back up, Thanks!!
Gambit

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby drathe » June 22nd, 2011, 1:17 pm

Big Bene wrote:Now, when I had a look five minutes ago, the button was present in the general heroquest forum, but still absent in the feedback forum.

That's sounds more like human error on my part. I'll have a look at how I've set the permissions for the feedback forums and the groups you're a member of.
el_flesh wrote:Any idea who did it?

Near impossible to tell with a DDoS attack as the nature of the attack has numerous computers bombarding a server with hundreds of thousands of requests per second. (often rouge computers who's owners are unaware of what their computers are doing as hackers take control of them through trojans and malware.) The system file corruption was a matter of hardware finally finding its end. Possibly sped up by the attack.
Gambit wrote: I'm grateful to see your fantastic site back up, Thanks!!

Indeed. Although I have the Website backed-up on a drive at home, the forum database back-up I had on file was a week old. I'm glad the host was able to pull their backup from only a couple hours before the attack.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Phoenix » June 22nd, 2011, 4:46 pm

drathe wrote:I'm glad the host was able to pull their backup from only a couple hours before the attack.

Money well spent.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
The Great
Phoenix

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby joec » June 27th, 2011, 8:14 am

Good to hear there was minimal data loss. As an IT guy, I have experienced the pain of losing data, and I back up constantly now.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Announcements