• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Monster "point values"

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Monster "point values"

Postby Daedalus » April 1st, 2013, 1:26 am

CeoDruidechta wrote:...I may be misunderstanding what you are going for, but I don't think multiplying Defend XP by Body XP is what you want to do here. Since each defend die has a 1 in 6 chance of protecting each body point (or 1 in 3, for heroes), I think the XP value for defense should be based on body points.

So, for monsters, Defend XP = (BP/2)*Defend dice. Note that BP/2 is the same as (Body XP)/6. For heroes, Defend XP = BP*Defend dice. Then you just add the defend XP to the Body XP, rather than multiplying.

You appear to know just what I'm going for, thanks for the input. The last effort edited in blue was newly posted to update things, thanks to your interest. My system definitely needs more work, so I'll first check the monster numbers using your suggestion and thequester's actual data found in this thread. If you've solved the problem or improved the guesswork, I'll rework the edit. If not, I'll continue to wrestle with the formula as far as my interest and limited math skills take me.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby CeoDruidechta » April 1st, 2013, 7:11 pm

Daedalus wrote:You appear to know just what I'm going for, thanks for the input. The last effort edited in blue was newly posted to update things, thanks to your interest. My system definitely needs more work, so I'll first check the monster numbers using your suggestion and thequester's actual data found in this thread. If you've solved the problem or improved the guesswork, I'll rework the edit. If not, I'll continue to wrestle with the formula as far as my interest and limited math skills take me.

I must admit, I wonder if trying to precisely account for the synergies between different traits is worth the trouble. To an extent, I think all the scores interact. Attack can preserve BP by reducing the average number of attacks enemies can make. Mind points help a hero resist spells that reduce AD and DD. BP allow a hero to keep fighting longer, letting you get more mileage out of your AD.

I don't know how to quantify these other interactions, though, so I don't know if any are significant. But I wonder if just fudging the XP values as an intuitive way of compensating for these factors, then adding, is the way to go.
CeoDruidechta

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 7th, 2013, 3:47 pm

My first attempt at a system was definitely driven by intuitive judgement, and elements such as the value of movement and Mind Points are likely to continue to rely on it. Interest in thequester's tables isn't for everyone, that's for sure. As for me, I've noticed a couple of the underpinnings of HQ combat found within the tables, so I'm gonna keep at it.

Studying them some more, it is apparent that Body Points multiply the effectiveness of a monster. For example, an EU Fimir is identical to a NA Fimir in all respects except it has 1 Body Point, not 2. The table shows it's MSC as twice the value, across all AD and DD options. The NA Mummy is also twice as deadly as the EU Mummy. I figure multiply the number of Body Points by Attack Dice and Defend Dice, but picking the right combat dice values is critical.

Searching for those values, I'm looking at two other monsters. The EU Chaos Warrior has 1 less AD than the NA Chaos Warrior. Comparing the numbers, it should be possible to quantify the benefit of 1 extra AD, but so far I haven't unlocked the math. A Defend Die should also be able to be quantified by comparing the EU and NA Gargoyle numbers (the EU Gargoyle has 1 less DD).

My ultimate aim is to adapt my system to what has been demonstrated within HQ combat. That may not be possible, as you suggest, but if it works I'll continue to post here.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » April 11th, 2023, 6:43 am

See the Advancement - how to do it? thread for full details and calculations but essentially I have taken the work done under the Monster slaying cost topic (the “UK” values) which gives a relative “value” for each monster type, have totalled up all the monsters of each type in the Game System / Gathering Storm Quest Book, and therefore the total “monster slaying cost” for the Quest Book, have totalled up the gold yield from the same Quest Book and divided the total gold yield by the total monster slaying cost resulting in a figure of 20gc per point of “monster slaying cost”. From there I have produced the following, based on the assumption that as thequester’s tool is based on actual calculations and the designers of the base game intended the game to have a balanced advancement mechanism using a gold coin value for each monster slain to match the gold yield and therefore the equipment that could be purchased, and the rate, to give characters upgrades:

• Goblin 12gc
• Orc 26gc
• Fimir 28gc
• Skeleton 14gc
• Zombie 16gc
• Mummy 34gc
• Felmarg's Guardian 48gc
• Chaos Warrior 34gc
• Chaos Warrior, Stone 38gc
• Gargoyle 48gc
• Orc Warlord (Grak) 48gc
• Orc Warlord (Ulag) 56gc
• Witch Lord 86gc
• Balur 102gc
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules