• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest - The Expanded Game System

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Heroquest - The Expanded Game System

Postby torilen » Thursday September 15th, 2011 2:56pm

Okay - I've been working on this for a couple of weeks, and I finally have it mostly completed.
There are only a few small pieces that I haven't written in yet, and I haven't gotten much of a
magical item/treasure list put together. The things that are missing will not keep anyone
from using this material, however.

Hope you all enjoy it. I've tried to keep with the simplicity of heroquest, while trying not to
change a whole lot...and only adding a little bit, simply to expand the "role-playing" part of
the game...and it seems a lot of fans on here are interested in that.

I've also included here the expanded spell lists for the heroes, my thoughts on splitting the
evil wizard spells into spell groups, and my list of monsters.

EDIT: As of 10-21-2011, the game system has been updated, as well as the monster list. The monster list is not
complete...but will be soon enough. I still need to add the description to the monsters, but what you see if
basically going to be what things will look like.
For those who had looked at the system before...there have been quite a few changes. Please check it out again
and let me know what you think. It is almost complete...as far as I can tell, that is. :)

EDIT: As of 11-11-2011, all files have been updated. No changes to the game master spells. The character spells have
a couple of new spell groups (though I don't think I've spelled out the spells all the way, as of yet). I've also added a
couple of non-combat things to the game system itself, along with some of the fluff that will be in the final version.
There are a few more monsters added to that list...still working on getting those reformatted and typed up...long
process, you know. I'm in the process of reformatting the spells and typing those, as well. Might take a while, but
they'll be up when I get them done.

EDIT: As of 11-18-2011, all files, except for game master spells, have been updated. I have reworked the amount of
gold things require - both equipment and training. This is to match the economics put in place by the World Around
the Heroes accessory. I've add some more monsters. I've reformatted the spells, and added a few - I'll finish writing
them out and update soon - the names should give you a bit of an idea of what they do, I hope.
I've got plenty to add and update - so keep an eye out.
ENJOY!

EDIT: From 11-21-2011 - I am not updating the download for now, since I still have some more stuff to type and
add and change (perhaps) - However...I did want to make everyone aware of some issues. My addition was a little
off for the starting amount of gold - it should be 1,200 gold. That will allow a wizard-type character to get the three
spell groups as the normal starting wizard (just throw in the staff as a bonus - maybe a special gift from the empire
or something). Two other things to take note of - I play-tested the mechanics of multiple spells and enchanting items.
I am making this change to both: The player needs to roll a 4 or 5 or 6 for a successful die, and for enchanting items,
the Player needs to roll a 5 or 6 for a permanent enchantment (two dice for spell enchantments, three dice for enchanting
an item with an ability point). This may sound pretty easy - as I said, I tried it out - it is not nearly as easy as it looks, unless
you just have really luck dice.

EDIT: From 1-26-2012 - QUESTING HEROES ROLE PLAYING GAME SYSTEM IS COMPLETED!!! Aside from having to add a few more
magical items and masterwork items and such, the main system of rules and instructions is complete. Enjoy! Also - I've started to
add more spells to the hero spell list (well, finishing typing them up, anyhow). I've started to finish the monsters, and I'm reformatting
the monster book a bit. I've also add just a little to "The World Around" accessory. The added portion will show you a little better how
to create game master characters...or what many will know them as NPC's.

EDIT: From 5-21-2012 - HERO SPELLS AND GAME MASTER SPELLS ARE COMPLETE! I decided to get rid of the spell enhancement option
for now. I've also updated the game system - I took out a few things and simplified a few things. Mostly for logistical reasons,
but to make it a little easier for new gamers to get the hang of the game, as well.

Just so everyone knows...I know people have been downloading the various version of this game. I really do appreciate it. I understand
it can be a pain downloading something a million times - I keep trying to make this a better game. Keep checking in for new updates.
And as always - feedback is always welcome.

***NOTE - As before - please check this out and let me know what you think. You can still use this for heroquest, even
with the changes I've made. As for rolling, if you still want to use the combat dice, here you go: when rolling 1d6,
6=black shield; 5 or 6=white shield; 4 or 5 or 6=skull, or all shields; anything except 1 or 2=anything by white shields;
anything except 1=anything except black shield.

questing heroes system - simple.pdf

questing heroes - the world around.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by torilen on Friday September 20th, 2013 9:20am, edited 9 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Heroquest - The Expanded Game System

Postby torilen » Thursday September 15th, 2011 3:02pm

Here is a link to another monster I made - forgot to add this into the monster list
posted above.
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=408&p=2787#p2787

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » Friday September 16th, 2011 7:12am

No Rat Ogre?

Nice work man! Have you got miniatures for all those? :O I'd like to see pics!

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » Friday September 16th, 2011 7:34pm

OH NO! I definitely do not have miniatures for all those. I only have a small number of miniatures
outside of those that came with the basic HQ game - and quite a few of my minis have issues now...
missing hand here, missing sword there...the minis that have been painted are chipped.

I am one of those people who, when I play, simply put a mini on the board and tell the players
what it is, and describe it if need be.
I don't have money for a lot of minis. Oh well, maybe one day.

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday September 21st, 2011 2:46pm

Holy house rules, Batman! That is one complete roleplaying expansion you have there. I skimmed for the most part, slowing down for some areas of extra interest. I'll return to it in sections, when I can afford the attention and time.

I have two niggles. First, what is the cost for a blacksmith repairing a damaged weapon? I couldn't find it. Second, the Giant Wolf and the Wolf have the same stats.

Some day I'd like to do my own compilation. You are doing it. My HQ hat is off to you. |_P
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » Thursday September 22nd, 2011 9:02am

AH - I knew there were some problems - I'll take care of the repair cost for the blacksmith.
As far as the wolf and Giant wolf - that is just something I overlooked - I noticed that a while
ago on that list of monsters. That list is not really mine...I only added a lot to it, but the original
document is from the old Aginn's Inn site.
I actually have changed the wolf's stats just in the last day or two - I wanted to add the Hell Hound
into the list, and using the Giant Wolf stats was just a little too much, in my opinion.

I actually have more to add to that roleplaying system - that is mostly just for my own amusement, though.
I don't want to add to this one posted here too much...I'm trying to keep it simple, like HQ, with additions that
HELP the game, and not bog it down with unneeded changes and additions.

If you're interested in more complex stuff, though, I can email it to you. :)

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby LordChaosX » Friday October 14th, 2011 4:41pm

torilen wrote:That list is not really mine...I only added a lot to it, but the original
document is from the old Aginn's Inn site.

Actually it appears your list of monsters (or a good portion of it) is from my old site, not Aginn's as linked here: http://www.heroscribe.org/lucasx/hqmonsters.htm (which has been saved thanks to derfel from heroscribe.org)

I was looking over the list and was thinking, "holy crap, alot of this is really REALLY familiar", and it was. No worries, just figure should probably give some credit where it is due. :)
LordChaosX

Goblin
Goblin

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Postby torilen » Friday October 14th, 2011 5:42pm

Well...credit to you then. I can tell you, though...I didn't get it from your sight. Someone else must've put it
on aginn's inn. It didn't have that black background when I got it.

If you are still active with HQ, feel free to add my additions to your list. I should have an updated list soon...
I'm actually in the process of placing them all on their own "cards", too...so it will be a little closer to HQ.
I like the list format...but I can see the use of having them in card format, as well...that way you can have out
only those monsters you're using for the particular quest, instead of having to search through the list with each
new room.

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Monday October 24th, 2011 1:46pm

I forgot to add this:
With the new update on my HQ expansion, one can make all four original characters from the
HQ game...though they will be slightly beefier than the originals.

Starting characters will have 1,100 gold worth of training and/or
equipment. Typically, this is to reflect training gained from an
apprenticeship or from growing up with a family that has a long
history in the given field, and is to reflect weapons, armors, and
other items given down through the family line, or from master to
apprentice as a special gift.

Human Warrior (barbarian equal)
Grew up with family and learned combat, age 25
B = 7
M = 7
S = 6
Weapon = Long Sword (240)
Armor = Chain Mail (240), Shield (120)
Attack = 3d6, reach
Defense= 6d6
Search = 3d6
Training:
New Weapon x2 (200) - Short Sword, Long Sword
New Armor x2 (200) - Leather Armor, Chain Mail
**100 gold left over

Human Wizard (wizard equal)
Apprenticed to a well-known wizard at age 15, now age 22 and some months
B = 7
M = 7
S = 6
Weapon = Staff
Armor = None
Attack = 1d6, reach
Defense = 2d6
Search = 3d6
Training:
Learn Magic x1 (1 spell group)
Magic Expertise x2 (2 spell groups)
**Staff was special present from Master

Elf
Grew up with family, age 30
B = 6
M = 9
S = 5
Weapon = Short Sword (160)
Armor = Padded Armor
Attack = 2d6
Defense = 2d6
Search = 4d6
Special: The Elf can reduce any Cast Check by 2
Training:
Learn Magic x1 (1 spell group)
New Weapon x1 (100) - Short Sword
New Armor x1 (100) - Leather Armor
**60 gold left over

Dwarf
Grew up with family, age 45
B = 9
M = 5
S = 6
Weapon = Short Sword (160)
Armor = Leather Armor (160)
Attack = 2d6
Defense = 4d6
Search = 4d6
Special: The Dwarf gets a +2d6 defense against any mind-effecting
spells and against illusion spells.
Training:
New Weapon (100) - Short Sword
New Armor (100) - Leather Armor
Disable Traps x2(200) - +2d6 to Disable Traps using tool kit
**Tool Kit (160) - Roll 2d6, must roll 4 or 5 or 6
**120 gold left over
Last edited by torilen on Friday November 18th, 2011 4:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Friday November 18th, 2011 10:29am

For anyone who might actually be interested - I have done some work on the system
and have made some changes. Mainly, the changes were to the cost of things, and to
the starting amount of gold.
I'll add the new update this afternoon, and I'll explain the reason for the changes and
how it effects character creation. You'll still be able to make the basic characters,
as I have shown already.

I'm still working on the monster book and spell book. I hope to get some time to work
on them this weekend, and should post a new update soon. If nothing else, I'll post the
monster book - I'll add a few more...I've gotten the dragons on, however...they're beast. :)

Rewards:
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Rules