• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Random monster patrols using the monster cards

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Random monster patrols using the monster cards

Postby Daedalus » June 28th, 2011, 3:42 am

The threat of an occasional patrol can help add a bit of pressure, keep the heroes moving along, and generally add to the difficulty of a dungeon.
Create a shuffled pile of all the monster cards, placing them face-down behind the screen. At the begining of Zargon's turn, draw a card. If it doesn't match the wandering monster type for the dungeon, discard it. If the revealed card matches the wandering monster type for the dungeon, place a skull marker nearby and shuffle both the card and the discard pile back into the monster deck.
Next, roll a six-sided die. If the result is greater than the current number of skull markers placed by the monster deck, nothing happens. Should the die result be equal to or less than the number of skull markers currently placed by the pile, then remove the skull markers and place a patrol of that many monsters on the board.
They start together and out of line of sight, as close as possible to a hero. When possible, the patrol starts on an explored square, or an unexplored adjacent square if around a corner. Otherwise, the patrol waits on the other side of the next door that is opened.
A patrol is made up of the wandering monster type for the dungeon. However, more than one designated monster card can form a patrol, if desired. This will increase the frequency of patrols, as well as create mixed groups. Similarly, more than one designated monster card may add a patrol monster, but additional cards can work as proxies for the single, desired wandering monster type.

For an easier to manage patrol size that appears more quickly, roll two red dice. If either die is equal to or less than the number of skull markers currently placed by the pile, then a half-sized patrol is placed on the board (divide the higher-qualifying die by 2, rounding up).
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Random monster patrols using the monster cards

Postby gravaillon » June 28th, 2011, 5:56 pm

great idea !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 12th, 2011, 11:40 am

Thanks. I made the rule to combat players that over-optimize their play, which somewhat defeats the purpose of red movement dice and the point of a Search action. With unlimited turns, players tend to always group the Heroes together while exploring and over-search areas for traps, treasures, and secret doors. A penalty in wandering monsters appearing forces the players to make some tactical choices. Now, a player will have to weigh the value of discovering all potential traps or secret doors vs. avoiding monster patrols (the treasure deck already contains this element of risk). It also makes dungeon sense that the longer you putz around, the greater the likelihood you encounter organized opposition.
I don't get to play much, but the basic rule worked quickly enough. I still want to test the red dice option so as to see more immediate effect.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby ken » July 12th, 2011, 12:45 pm

When we played Into the Sewers this weekend, I asked the Heroes to roll on a matrix each GM turn, when no monsters or events were taking place.
1-2 nothing
3-4 wandering Monster
5 Spear Trap
6 Pit Trap.
If a Trap or WM turned up, I had given each Hero a dice number, and asked one of them to roll on this matrix, then carried out the consequence as normal rules.
As has been said, there needs to be more uncertaincey in the game

Seems to be some confusion about this idea, we only used it when nothing was about to happen on the GM turn, ie; no monsters, no traps, no searches, no nothing, just the heroes move about to follow the heroes move.
Last edited by ken on July 15th, 2011, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 15th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm guessing there were a lot of rolls on the matrix. Do you remember approximately how many? How did the players respond to the added pressure?
Also, I'm not exactly clear on how you used it: If a wandering monster card was drawn from the treasure deck, did you roll on the matrix instead? Likewise, if a trap was marked on a square on the map, do you mean to say that you would change triggering the trap to a roll on the matrix?
What kind of trap did you use for a trap matrix result?
My confusion probably results from my limited familiarity with the European rules set.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby ken » July 15th, 2011, 5:21 pm

Daedalus wrote:I'm guessing there were a lot of rolls on the matrix. Do you remember approximately how many? How did the players respond to the added pressure?
We used this idea on the "Into the sewers" board I explained about, as there were few traps in the quest. I guess if you look at each quest in the HQ books, you can roughly tell how many rolls there would be, by the number of empty rooms & passages the heroes pass through.
Also, I'm not exactly clear on how you used it: If a wandering monster card was drawn from the treasure deck, did you roll on the matrix instead?
No, only when nothing was about to happen on the GM turn
Likewise, if a trap was marked on a square on the map, do you mean to say that you would change triggering the trap to a roll on the matrix?
No, only when nothing was about to happen on the GM turn
What kind of trap did you use for a trap matrix result?
See the matrix, 5 spear trap, 6 pit trap.
My confusion probably results from my limited familiarity with the European rules set.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 16th, 2011, 2:35 am

That clears things up for me. I think selectively adding some pressure to certain Quests sounds cool. If there's enough going on to keep the entertainment value geared up, then an optional rule isn't really needed to cover for it. An experienced Morcar/Zargon with some game sense goes a long way. Having additional tools to do the job just helps Morcar/Zargon get things done in a better fasion.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby ken » July 16th, 2011, 2:56 am

Daedalus wrote:That clears things up for me. I think selectively adding some pressure to certain Quests sounds cool. If there's enough going on to keep the entertainment value geared up, then an optional rule isn't really needed to cover for it. An experienced Morcar/Zargon with some game sense goes a long way. Having additional tools to do the job just helps Morcar/Zargon get things done in a better fasion.

You are right of course, some quests have plenty going on, some need a little help from the GM

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules