• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quests by Maalicia_Ironhoof

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quests by Maalicia_Ironhoof

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 10th, 2023, 10:41 pm

Edited by HispaZargon: New thread created and first three messages moved from thread Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

I'm starting a 2021 "corrected" project, where I am re-making all of the quest books to be corrected (noted Errata's from this thread and text consistency corrections) with a basic format of:
:skull: Cover
:skull: Mentor intro text page
:skull: Title page
:skull: Quests (I've also made all in-quest artifact's displayed as bold italics for greater visibility)
:skull: Artifact reference page

All additional rules will be recompiled into a revised rule book.

All potions will be recompiled into separate reference book - or included in rule book.

This has been made using elements de-compiled from the official PDF's and looks 100% like the 2021 version re-releases.

I welcome any feedback, but generally this is a personal project so will at the end of the day be tweaked to my own preferences.

I will also as a second stage, be creating "redacted" versions of these re-inserting Morcar in place of Zargon and all old world naming etc (for the OG fans - like myself).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01.jpg

Quest book 1 (Heroquest Game System), link is here:

amendments to this specific book are:
:skull: Added classic fan assigned title of "The Gathering Storm" to the cover.
:skull: Page 9: The sentence "Use the orc figure with the large sword to represent Ulag"... - amended as "Use an orc figure to represent Ulag if you do not have a suitable figure."
:skull: Page 9: Chest shown inside the small room with a pit trap next to it has no dedicated description... - amended as "added a "C" note; The first hero who searches the room for treasure must roll 1 movement die, on a roll of 1-3 they find nothing - tell them chest is empty! On the roll of 4-6 they may draw a card from the treasure deck."
:skull: Alchemist bench "mirror imaging" icon corrected.
:skull: Weapons rack icon "white fill-ins removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02.jpg

Quest book 2 (Kellar's Keep), link is here:

:skull: Page 1: Front cover art shows a so poorly edited version... - artwork re-created from high resolution sources, correcting this error and the repeated error on the background image used on the titlepage.
:skull: Page 21: The sentence "Use the orc with the large sword... - amended as "Use an orc figure to represent Ograk if you do not have a suitable figure."
:skull: Added stats for all individuals - saves referring to card x and adding stats to the numbers.
:skull: Minor grammar fixes.
:skull: Added extra text to the 0 mind points kill in quest 10 to differentiate it from the standard "shock" rule defined in later quest packs.
:skull: Trapdoor Icon off-centering corrected.

Quest Book 3.jpg

Quest book 3 (Prophecy of Telor), This is a placeholder until the official release (Mythic Contents is not for download).

Quest Book 4.jpg

Quest book 3 (The Spirit Queen's Torment), This is a placeholder until the official release (Mythic Contents is not for download).

Quest Book 5.jpg

Quest book 5 (Return of the Witch Lord), link is here:

:skull: Page 1: Front cover art shows a so poorly edited version... - artwork edited, correcting this error and the repeated error on the background image used on the titlepage.
:skull: Page 24: There is a missing door in the right room with five - map amended.
:skull: Page 24: The quest map shows two cupboards although game box only - map amended.
:skull: Page 26: The starting/stair room is missing a door. One door is present - map amended.
:skull: Minor grammar fixes.
:skull: Room tiles corrected to fit square grid pattern and removing errors from the line art, also recoloured to match the standard of all subsequent quest pack tiles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Maalicia_Ironhoof on April 23rd, 2023, 7:07 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quests by Maalicia_Ironho

Postby Kurgan » March 10th, 2023, 11:46 pm

Interesting and I appreciate the vector graphics. I only skimmed it, but your handling of the final treasure chest in the Lair of the Orc Warlord is an novel idea!

Check the spelling of "Helmet" on the artifact cards at the end though, in at least one case it is misspelled. I like the idea of the OG naming (and missing lore from EU edition put back in). As long as it is clearly marked as fan-modified...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 11th, 2023, 1:11 am

Kurgan wrote:Interesting and I appreciate the vector graphics. I only skimmed it, but your handling of the final treasure chest in the Lair of the Orc Warlord is an novel idea!

hey mate, this was really just a quick fix to cover off the current AH solution of just drawing a treasure card (and also to satisfy my own solution to the NA & 2021 versions not having a "nothing" treasure card) - happy to see further suggestions for this?

Kurgan wrote:Check the spelling of "Helmet" on the artifact cards at the end though, in at least one case it is misspelled.

thanks, I didn't have the cards in a vectorised format so OCR'd the cards - which didn't go so well, and missed this one - I've fixed it now, along with a few other minor fixes (link updated with v3).

Kurgan wrote:I like the idea of the OG naming (and missing lore from EU edition put back in). As long as it is clearly marked as fan-modified...

current back page has the disclaimer "This is a fan made, amended version of this quest book, all right reserved by the original copyright holders", but I'll need to do something more comprehensive for the later edition.
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Stoner81 » March 11th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Dayum dude! You got some skills! :o

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 13th, 2023, 2:21 am

(also posted in the Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation thread)

Other than the errors being noted for the map usability and note, has anyone been logging the icon errors? I've been amending every instance of the "mirror image" alchemists bench, and weapons rack having white fill in's, one big one I've noticed is in return of the witch lord, the throne room is a disaster....

1 - original.jpg

This is blatantly terrible and its little bits like this that add up to utter negligence in QC for print components, not only does it have some-sort of haphazardly placed grid (this is carried across all 3 instances in the quest book) but the room tiles are not even square and fitting to the map...

For my corrected version (coming this week along with Kellar's Keep) I have cleaned it up considerably and resized the whole thing accordingly.

2 - revised.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 13th, 2023, 2:22 am

Stoner81 wrote:Dayum dude! You got some skills! :o

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

thanks man! compliments are welcome, but so is critique!
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 14th, 2023, 2:43 am

Kellar's Keep has now been added to the main post.
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » March 23rd, 2023, 6:42 am

Return of the Witch Lord has now been added to the main post.
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Return to Rules