• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Triggering traps while searching?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Triggering traps while searching?

Postby Zeus » July 21st, 2022, 4:33 pm

The new edition of HQ made me reread the official rules again after many years, and I was wondering about the intent of the rules for searching.

It specifically says that the hero doesn't actually move during a search, even though they are actually walking around, looking in nooks and crannies etc. How does this work with any undiscovered traps in the room? Are they triggered automatically, and if so, are they handled before or after drawing a treasure card 9which may of course yield another trap)? Or are any traps in the room NOT triggered by a search? Or maybe I am missng the point entirely - it's been a wile since i played with just the official rules.
Zeus

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Triggering traps while searching?

Postby SirRick » July 21st, 2022, 6:15 pm

Normally traps in a room are not triggered by searching, unless otherwise mentioned in the quest notes. Consider it near misses, like in a movie where someone inadvertently avoids some hazard, sometimes repeatedly before setting it off.

Furniture traps ARE set off by searching, but traps on the spaces around the piece of furniture are not.

This was brought up in situations in which there are traps on spaces next to a treasure chest, but not on the chest itself. Technically if you search for treasure you can loot the chest without setting off the adjacent traps. It sounds cheap, but that is the way it is according to the rules. However, I wouldn’t hold it against Zargon if they declare you set a trap off in that particular situation.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules