• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Useless potion of alchemy

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Useless potion of alchemy

Postby Gold Bearer » August 25th, 2020, 12:32 pm

You could rule that you get the 100gp without giving up an item if it's used next to an alchemist's bench, that's what I do for my custom alchemy spell. That way they can still use it on an item between quests if they need the extra 75gp or hold on to it.

wallydubbs wrote:Nobody likes Orcs Bane... coat that with this pasty potion and get some value out of it.
I do, not for it's potency. I didn't realise until a long time later when I read the book that's Sting from LotR and the spirit blade is that king's sword, which itself is based on Excalibur.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Malcadon » August 29th, 2020, 7:03 pm

I believe the Potion of Alchemy was introduced in for the UK edition of HeroQuest, for the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack, as a means to sell unwanted gear, usually at a loss.

Mind you, there were no official rule for selling unwanted items until the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs, which were US expansions. A thing everyone is overlooking is that the dagger was never apart of the UK game set. The cheapest items from the UK Equipment deck were the shield and the staff — both cost 100 gold coins, or the value of a transmuted item.

Although, you can preform chrysopoeia (I love that word) on an item you found (and don't need) during a Quest, and that would cost you nothing.

As a house rule, one could allow one piece of equipment to be sold back at the Armory for its full value (instead of half, round down, as noted with the Barbarian/Elf Quest Pack sets).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » August 30th, 2020, 8:47 am

Malcadon wrote:I believe the Potion of Alchemy was introduced in for the UK edition of HeroQuest, for the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack, as a means to sell unwanted gear, usually at a loss.
Yea it was because WoM introduced the men-at-arms, so you could give up equipment to take more of them. It's only really worth it with the staff because the wizard can use quest treasures, usually he uses the spirt blade so you're only giving up your diagonal attack and you can always buy one again later for the same gp you got for it.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 11th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Boosting up a dagger is one thing... and I might even give it to a clever Hero who coats a single arrow (seems like cheating)... (and it says "Equipment" not "Artifacts")

Count Mohawk wrote:I have a novel, if overpowered, secondary use for Oil of Alchemy in my system:
It can be used in response to getting hit with Rust to counteract the spell and keep your stuff intact.

This is exactly what I was thinking of for use of this item. Dang, you rusted my piece of equipment rendering it useless! Naw, now I have a little nest egg if we survive this Quest...

Incidentally, Orc's Bane + Heroic Brew vs. an Orc = 4 attacks? (granted, they would get to defend each time) I would include "special" Orcs with that too, of course.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 17th, 2020, 5:36 pm

When it says that the Weapons rack contains only "rusted and broken" weapons. I'd say that's another potential usage opportunity for a clever hero! These potions aren't too plentiful, so why not...?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 24th, 2020, 6:29 am

Kurgan wrote:When it says that the Weapons rack contains only "rusted and broken" weapons. I'd say that's another potential usage opportunity for a clever hero! These potions aren't too plentiful, so why not...?

Yes, that's what I allow.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 24th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Nice. |_P

Malcadon wrote:I believe the Potion of Alchemy was introduced in for the UK edition of HeroQuest, for the Wizards of Morcar Quest Pack, as a means to sell unwanted gear, usually at a loss.

Mind you, there were no official rule for selling unwanted items until the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs, which were US expansions. A thing everyone is overlooking is that the dagger was never apart of the UK game set. The cheapest items from the UK Equipment deck were the shield and the staff — both cost 100 gold coins, or the value of a transmuted item.

Although, you can preform chrysopoeia (I love that word) on an item you found (and don't need) during a Quest, and that would cost you nothing.

As a house rule, one could allow one piece of equipment to be sold back at the Armory for its full value (instead of half, round down, as noted with the Barbarian/Elf Quest Pack sets).

Quite interesting, if accurate (and I don't doubt you on the dagger part). So selling back items was a "house rule" until then? If the Dagger wasn't an item in the original version, how was the Wizard supposed to be fighting, just with his bare hands? Some of us did think it was odd that a dagger and bare-handed do the exact same damage. But the dagger could be thrown, for a one shot attempt.

Reading through the EU rules, I came upon some differences (?) I had forgotten about (I grew up with the NA version).

-Secret Doors can be searched for on EITHER side of the wall where the icon appears.
-good Treasure cards are not kept, they're recorded then discarded (duh, but still)
-"bad" Treasure cards are not only returned to the deck, but you're supposed to shuffle them back in (not put them at the bottom).
-Rolling for your roll! I never tried this, but it sounds interesting. Highest roller gets to pick their role. Last person to choose has to be (Morcar) if nobody else has picked him.
-Sample names for the Heroes... sample names for the Heroes: Elf = Ladril, Dwarf = Grungi (ew!), Wizard = Zoltan, Barbarian = Sigmar (thanks Warhammer!)
-the infamous "Visible" rule. "Visible" means anything that is on the board in the same room as yourself. But for corridors and in "other rooms" it means you have to trace an unobstructed line (line of sight) to it. This was much more strict in the NA version. Of course in the EU edition you could attack other Heroes, but the "visible" thing is in reference to spells, specifically. *
-(I did remember this one) Searching for Traps and Secret Doors occurs at the SAME TIME in this version. Treasure is still searched for separately.

As I read through (again) I recall many of the old queries about rules and how people interpret them. I recognize that these rule sets are different of course. But what's the purpose of "looking through a door"? The way I play now, once a door is opened, everything in the room is revealed (except Traps/Secret doors and hidden Treasure of course), but perhaps the idea of not revealing anything except what you can "see" (line of sight) through the doorway, until you set foot inside, might make for a little more suspense.

* And yes, in the NA version "See" is explicit line of sight in the official manual. You always have to be able to draw an unobstructed line from you to the target of a spell to use on them. None of this "just in the same room" business.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 25th, 2020, 5:07 am

Still odd, even in EU HQ, that a Golden broadsword is a fraction of the price of a metal one. I like the idea of being able to sell back a piece of unwanted equipment for full price. It becomes a worthwhile find then.

Back in the 'good' old EU days the Heroes began with inherent attack dice, which match the weapons they start with in US HQ. The Wizard would upgrade with the Staff which gave him 2 attack dice.

I have been playing a blend of the two games for so long, and only using and adapting the rules that make sense to me, I struggle to remember what the specific rules of the different systems are now.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 30th, 2020, 3:40 am

I guess a well-made sword is worth more than its weight in gold in these dangerous times! Or something... ;)

Don't feel bad, I have been thoroughly schooled on the EU rules, I once thought I had figured out!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Malcadon » October 31st, 2020, 2:36 am

Kurgan wrote:Nice. |_P

Reading through the EU rules, I came upon some differences (?) I had forgotten about (I grew up with the NA version).

Thanks.

Don't forget the inability for Heroes to backtrack during movement (at least with the first UK print). But the differences between the US and UK rule systems are their own can-O-worms.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Malcadon

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules