• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Limited recovery

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Limited recovery

Postby The Admiral » March 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am

I have recently began using the above concept for certain end of quest situations. I normally play that when the Heroes move straight off one board to the next I allow no recovery of BP's, MP's, Spells or once per quest artefacts, whereas these are all replenished when there is a physical break between quests. But sometimes the Heroes are in a remote desolate region or an enemy region where resources and shelter are minimal to non existent. Alternately, they may be in a friendly resource rich environment, but have very little time between quests to take advantage of such facilities. In these cases I implement 'Limited Recovery'. In this instance half of all BP's, MP's and spells are recovered (rounded up). Once per quest artefacts are replenished.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Limited recovery

Postby mitchiemasha » March 24th, 2020, 10:52 am

Perfectly fine as long as it's implemented into the design of the quest pack.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » March 24th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Makes perfect sense and something I would have loved to do; however aren’t some quests just too difficult to be played with Limited Recovery? I always imagined the quest designers had full recovery in mind; you reckon things won’t get too difficult? I guess back-to-back underground quests only kick in once heroes are well developed anyway.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » March 25th, 2020, 11:27 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Perfectly fine as long as it's implemented into the design of the quest pack.

Very little of what I do is in the design of a questpack!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » March 27th, 2020, 12:19 am

I'd ask how often you use Limited Recovery. If you find that you use it a lot, then it might be easier to do what you're doing and include it as a kind of house rule. If you don't use it often it might be easier to let the game handle it the way it usually handles uncommon occurrences, by simply saying it in a little note at the beginning of the next quest or phase or whatever you call movement off the board to another board.

At first glance, it seems like simply including a little note within the introductory body would be preferable to me because it gives you flexibility to make Limited Recovery more or less severe, whereas a fixed rule would become too complicated to explain it. As an example, lack of rest could cause the Heroes to begin the next quest rolling 1 less combat die to no less than 1. Then there's redundancy. Making the Heroes begin a quest with 4 out of 8 Body Points due to lack of sleep or whatever is just going to result in them burning spells and resources to quickly restore those lost Body Points. So it's an attack on their resources. Seems like a cheap shot to me. Too much realism needs to take a back seat here. I'd probably apply these carryover penalties in unusual situations to make progressing through a questbook harder, but it wouldn't be a frequent thing.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » March 27th, 2020, 1:06 pm

I use it whenever it seems appropriate from the quest description. For example, between quests 9 and 10 of 'Champion of the Empire' the Heroes must rush straight to the city with the crown. Although they are in a civilised environment, there is no time to rest, recover and visit shops etc. In Eschaton the Heroes move between the Black Dwarves of the Ash Ridge Mountains and Ulrik the Fiend in the Badlands. In this situation there is time to recover, but no resources available with which to do so effectively.
Hence I base my decision on my perception of the situation the Heroes find themselves in, in' their' real world environment.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » March 29th, 2020, 2:46 am

You did play more than anybody else here, I guess. I'd like to have my brother coming around to play all the quest books!

The thought came to me, too, in "The dark Company". Seriously, 4 full boards and the wizard gets one spell set only? Yes, recovery is just perfect there. I would place a spell set here and there which can be found by treasure searching; and a some potions of healing, too.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » March 29th, 2020, 10:43 am

Anderas wrote:You did play more than anybody else here, I guess. I'd like to have my brother coming around to play all the quest books!

The thought came to me, too, in "The dark Company". Seriously, 4 full boards and the wizard gets one spell set only? Yes, recovery is just perfect there. I would place a spell set here and there which can be found by treasure searching; and a some potions of healing, too.

Long time since I played this, but I recall there are places the Heroes can regain spells and BP's? We had a total party wipeout in this.It was the final quest back in the EU days of HQ (1990's), so it was sort of a fitting finale.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules