• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Turn order variants?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Turn order variants?

Postby DullandRusty » May 14th, 2019, 12:06 am

We use free order. Heroes in any order followed by evil wizard. We have 14 total homebrew heroes that each have their own specialty. As such each one can shine in different scenarios by leading the round. For example, a rogue sneaking in to explore. If it was fixed, and he was not first, then the other players would just waste a turn doing nothing if the team is feeling conservative just to let the rogue explore the room in stealth form. By free order, it lets the rogue lead to sneak when applicable, the tanklike barbarian lead when it becomes a battle charge, the priest lead when a group heal or buff is needed prior to battle, etc.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » May 14th, 2019, 12:50 am

mitchiemasha wrote:
Anderas wrote:There are some who use a rattle with coloured pearls inside to determine the turn order each turn. Zargon has a pearl in the rattle, too. So you never know when the monsters move next time.

That could work without the double EW turn potential. Which makes for :roll5: Totally random turn order, decided by picking a token out of a hat, 1-5!

Edit: actually... I just realised... EW goes last, then goes first... That is the double turn, lol!!!

Which makes for :roll5: Totally random turn order, decided by picking a token out of a hat, 1-4! EW always goes last.

yes, exactly :-)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 14th, 2019, 7:02 am

mitchiemasha wrote:If I was going to add it, I'd make it part of a special artefact and stick with the original rule. Some sort of initiative charm, potion, spell or fate token spendable in quest, limiting use. It could be a perfect item for the Wizard, who usually plays last but is occasionally needed first.

I like that idea. Some sort of 'Wand of Timeshift". Once per quest use at the start of the Heroes turn, Enables them to take their turn in any order. Useful for critical situations.

I get the desire for the flexibilty. Allowing it every turn is a massive boost for the Heroes. Especially seeing how effective our special henchman can be with his/her turn at any time.

Having read this thread I am now seriously considering also allowing this ability for the Wizard. It would make a character that generally doesn't do that much, far more effective, especially in those crucial moments when you really need him to do something vital at just the right moment. It also seems an appropriate skill for him i.e his general intelligence/prescience etc.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 14th, 2019, 11:14 am

Haha, and that leads directly to a new chaos spell. :lol: :lol: :chaoswarrior: :banana:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » May 14th, 2019, 4:59 pm

The Admiral wrote:It also seems an appropriate skill for him i.e his general intelligence/prescience etc.

Exactly. High intelligence enables the act of quick thinking. Prescience would be a good name for the potion or spell.

Loving "Wind of Change" Excellent idea.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » May 15th, 2019, 2:03 pm

And now the Scorpions song is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » May 27th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Free order has been brilliant for me, it’s made our games more cooperative where the heroes decide who goes when. This combines nicely with 2 house rules:

1. Sand timer plus EWP deck; if the heroes spend too long deliberating over turn order they get punished as something nasty can happen.

2. Taking; we only allow players whose heroes are in LOS to communicate. For example, if someone is in a room whilst the others are out of sight in the corridor then they can’t even discuss free order. I remember a new player feeling the horror creep upon them when they were alone, cut off from the advice of more experienced players. This role playing was very powerful. This can be policed by zargon.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 1st, 2019, 8:14 pm

Interesting stuff. I always just thought you pick the order at the beginning of the Quest, but Zargon always starts first (usually he has nothing to do but introduce the Quest and put down the stairs/door and the Heroes though).

I thought I remembered reading in the "original" rules that the Heroes, after Zargon's turn, get to confer and then decide, each round, what order they will go in (not just for the first time, but every time).

But then again I also seem to remember that it was based actually on initial DICE ROLL... the person who rolls highest gets to choose either to be Zargon or picks the Hero they want, then next, then next, etc. (I guess this was character choice, not necessarily play order), and the kid picked last gets to be Zargon (Morcar, the Evil Wizard) if nobody has chosen his role yet. The newer NA game just says if its the first game and you were the one who organized your friends to play, you should be Zargon, I think. I'm too lazy to read it all again right now, but if someone wants to correct me on that...

But play begins with Zargon and moves to his left, so you choose your seats based upon what order you want to go in. I personally would allow the Heroes to change the order between Quests if they want. the change card is a neat idea though.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » June 2nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

No turn order variants. What's next? Who tells Zargon what they do in town first, before other players? Heroes can just decide in what order they want to take their turns, then Zargon goes. If more than two players insist on taking their turns first for any reason Zargon settles it. Never had a problem, never had to resolve problems on this matter.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 3rd, 2019, 2:05 am

Jafazo wrote:No turn order variants. What's next? Who tells Zargon what they do in town first, before other players? Heroes can just decide in what order they want to take their turns, then Zargon goes. If more than two players insist on taking their turns first for any reason Zargon settles it. Never had a problem, never had to resolve problems on this matter.

But that is a variant in itself. Not the original game! so you are playing a variant yourself, that's what's next!!!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Rules