• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

More than four Heroes at a time... (6+ players)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: More than four Heroes at a time... (6+ players)

Postby hightechartist » September 13th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I regularly play with more players, I just upped the difficulty of almost all monsters in my games. Out of 6 games with 5 or 6 Heroes, there have been 4 deaths so far, though I maintain that each of the deaths was easily preventable with a little more caution and less selfishness.
hightechartist

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » October 25th, 2020, 2:13 pm

To balance the level without putting too many monsters on the board you can make some monsters defend with white shields instead of black ones.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Oftkilted » October 25th, 2020, 6:04 pm

lestodante wrote:To balance the level without putting too many monsters on the board you can make some monsters defend with white shields instead of black ones.

Or you could use the “Dark Company” blocking rules where one black shield can block any amount of incoming damage. Or allow them to block on white and black.
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » October 25th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Or be fancy and use Blue Dice. ;) I create a "Potion Card" for the bad guys that let's them switch to Blue defense dice for the duration of the Quest, if I feel its warranted (mostly for boss characters). random Elite Monsters...

I haven't played Dark Company yet. There's also the idea that a 2 body point monster requires scoring two Skulls to kill, that if you get only one they heal by the next turn (from Japanese Game System rules).

Then again some Quests may be difficult enough that multiple Heroes will only make it more fair (EQP/BQP).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » October 29th, 2020, 9:53 am

5+ Heroes is fine if they are weak and the quest is strong, but even then it may be too much for them. otherwise it would require some kind of levelling up of the quest of which there are numerous house options: Evil Wizard cards, Adding monsters, Upgrading monsters, remove a healing potion from the treasure deck, no recovery/shopping between obviously sequential quests and options above.

It is all about tailoring the quest to give a satisfying result.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 29th, 2020, 10:05 am

Agreed, there are many options (and much good info on the first page!). As for quests designed for more Heroes... the Dark Company ("Advanced Quest"), Wizards of Morcar and the Barbarian Quest Pack were designed for Mercenaries.. which can add another 12 Body Points to the Hero's team. I would say that EQP and BQP are so unbalanced in terms of difficulty already that it wouldn't really be cheating to have an extra Hero or two in them. You could probably get away with it in the Trial as well without modifications.

A bunch of Barbarian level Heroes might make things a bit too easy, but if they were Wizard or Elf level, that would seem reasonable to me. I think you can have it be challenging without too much of a problem. Random elite monsters and other things can enhance the difficulty without making it too hard to manage or make it feel unfair.
Last edited by Kurgan on October 30th, 2020, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » October 29th, 2020, 10:20 am

Kurgan wrote:Agreed, there are many options. As for quests designed for more Heroes... the Dark Company ("Advanced Quest"), Wizards of Morcar and the Barbarian Quest Pack were designed for Mercenaries.. which can add another 12 Body Points to the Hero's team. I would say that EQP and BQP are so unbalanced in terms of difficulty already that it would really be cheating to have an extra Hero or two in them. You could probably get away with it in the Trial as well without modifications.

We played the Elf and Barbarian packs with no recovery, shopping or spell replenishment. In each there was a very powerful main Hero (Elf or Barbarian) joined by 4 standard Heroes of post basic quests level, plus a pre-prepared special Hero (the female charcater) plus 16 henchmen. They were tough but great fun. In the Elf pack the only survivor was the main Elf with 2BP's and a healing potion. The Main Barbarian lost the Dwarf (obviously), and both the other barbarians.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ajjohnsen » October 29th, 2020, 10:46 am

The first thing I did when adding "home brew" outside of the Evil Wizard cards was to up some BP for monsters. Orcs going from 1 to 2 BP is an instant difficulty increase from quest 1 onwards

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » October 29th, 2020, 12:22 pm

ajjohnsen wrote:The first thing I did when adding "home brew" outside of the Evil Wizard cards was to up some BP for monsters. Orcs going from 1 to 2 BP is an instant difficulty increase from quest 1 onwards

Yep, I call them Orc Champions and use the orcs out of Warhammer quest. They also get +1 on att and def.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 30th, 2020, 2:46 am

They may not have 2 BP, but "Elite" Orcs (all same stats, but roll Black Dice for attack, Blue Dice for defense) are very dangerous. Blue Dice means they defend like Heroes (two Black Shields on each Die instead of the usual one). Black Dice means a slightly greater chance of a Skull (like counting Black Shields as Skulls in attacks).

The system I use for Elites is that each Game System monster (not counting summoned or wandering monsters) gets a one time 1 White Die roll by Zargon, and if it's a Black Shield, he gets to be an Elite. Normally I use this system for Champions (upgraded Heroes). But maybe with a Heroic band of more than 4, you could get away with having these random Elites roaming around. I designate the upgraded Monsters with a special token under each one.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous