• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Revised rules

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Revised rules

Postby Jafazo » February 26th, 2019, 10:38 am

Maurice76 wrote:
Yup, though his Base version of the rules is only using the White Dice (save for one instance, as I recall, where a green one is used instead - but you can proxy a green one with a white one anyway). His Advanced Rules make extensive use of the colored dice, though.

I might remember it vaguely. I remember I'd seen a version like that and it reminded me of a very similar version I'd made a while ago but I abandoned the idea because, after some play testing, I realized it wasn't an enjoyable mechanism to others. We enjoy that kind of stuff, but an average player doesn't seem to find enjoyment in realizing and appreciating out precise variations in probability. It just boiled down to comments like, "Ok so I can hit better with these right?" "These make it easier to defend, those make it even easier." I wonder if Slev had the same problem.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » February 26th, 2019, 10:56 am

Jafazo wrote:We enjoy that kind of stuff, but an average player doesn't seem to find enjoyment in realizing and appreciating out precise variations in probability. It just boiled down to comments like, "Ok so I can hit better with these right?" "These make it easier to defend, those make it even easier." I wonder if Slev had the same problem.

He did create a set of Base rules and a set of Advanced rules that builds upon the Base rules. As such, I doubt he perceived it as a problem, but rather as a challenge and opted to make the Base and Advanced versions. I agree, though, that it matters with what players you have at your table.

Personally, I couldn't properly evaluate the dice across the different die face permutations of the colored dice from the top of my head, so I created that Excel sheet that can be found elsewhere on this forum. That way, I can check the probability curve of a given dice set with as much as a few clicks.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Torgo » August 12th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Some revised rules that I use:

Only the Wizard can use spell scrolls.
Any bookshelf room that doesn't have a special treasure has the chance of containing a random spell scroll.
Any Alchemist's Bench room that doesn't have special treasure has a chance of containing a potion randomly.
Any weapon's rack room that doesn't have a special treasure has the chance of containing a random equipment.
Any sorcerer's table room can be used once to attempt to re-gain one spent spell if a white shield is rolled.
Once we get into Kellar's Keep some random Fimirs can cast rust and or cloud of chaos, also added an Ogre to a few quests (US EQ stats)
Once we get into Witch Lord some Mummies can cast fear, sleep, and or summon undead
Most bosses get a nice boost in stats for example the Witch Lord's final form in the expansion pack:

Move: 10 Attack: 5 Defend: 6 Body: 9 Mind: 6 Spells: Summon Undead x2, Firestorm, Tempest, Lightning Bolt, Fear, Command, also Ice Storm, MInd Freeze, Chill, and Restore Chaos. Dude's a beast.

If the heroes are being fiddly they have a chance of getting hit with a wandering monster (as listed in the quest) or an ambush which is D6 wandering monsters.
Goblins utilize the move, attack, move split
Skeletons attack diagonally
Torgo

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Previous

Return to Rules