• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What Mods/Rules Do You Use? Link 'em in your signature!?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

What Mods/Rules Do You Use? Link 'em in your signature!?

Postby benvoliothefirst » November 21st, 2018, 8:51 pm

Hey all,

I'm not sure if something like this has been done before, but being relatively new to the boards, it can be overwhelming when you first discover the wealth of new rules, cards, etc. available to enrich your games of HeroQuest here at the Inn. I'm sure many other newbies feel the same way.

My thought: put a list of the additions you've playtested and love in your signature (with the creator's name listed!), so that others can get a sense of what the pros here on the boards use. I've gone ahead and gotten started below. This way we drive traffic to the rules that have stood the test of time.

Thoughts?
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: What Mods/Rules Do You Use? Link 'em in your signature!?

Postby Stoner81 » November 22nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

I couldn't even retrace what I have used now since it has all melded together in my brain :lol: I have zero hope of remembering whose ideas I have pinched/borrowed/tweaked so I will just say I have used every ones because I really have no idea!

The ones I will be actively playing with are linked in my signature which is a complete rule book and quest book.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » November 23rd, 2018, 2:52 am

I kind of stole the best ones and tweaked them. I share the links every opportunity I can. All the different ideas incorporated in some way or another... be it via a monster, weapon or hero trait. My main gripe is to not change the original merely add to it's wording, like 'lost weapons are found if the area is searched', so the original rule stands true, thrown weapons are lost.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on November 25th, 2018, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 23rd, 2018, 9:13 am

I pretty much use vanilla HQ but use some NA and some EU rules.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » November 23rd, 2018, 9:58 am

I use slev's Hero Quest Revised (edition 2011) as the base ruleset and add to it from there!
The Wizard gets to play with my Expanded Wizardry spell groups, since otherwise he's lacking in stuff to buy.
Also, everything I use is written in "Maximum Complexity"-speak, which involves liberal application of the icons in HQModern, my customization of the traditional Hero Quest font ITCClearface.

...Which reminds me, I should really get on putting Maximum Complexity AlterQuest back up on the web. I suffered a little setback since my computer crashed a couple weeks ago, but nothing truly important was lost. Still, it's gonna be a pain re-writing all the Treasure Cards again...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » December 2nd, 2018, 4:57 am

I think this is a great idea.

Two of the best things I use from this forums are:

The Questimator

the font "HQModern".

I linked them in my sig now.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby benvoliothefirst » January 1st, 2019, 4:40 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:...My main gripe is to not change the original merely add to its wording, like 'lost weapons are found if the area is searched', so the original rule stands true, thrown weapons are lost.

I completely agree. If you JUST want more complexity there's DnD or Warhammer Quest. The beauty of HQ is its simplicity. It's so much more fun to hand four new players a character card and say, here's the room you're in, actions are on the back, GO!" than to spend the first hour painstakingly going through DnD character creation.

I'm slowly adding in more complexity as the players start to dip their toes into role playing and situations call for it. But they're 8-9 quests into the game system quests and as I see the interest and engagement waning, I like to throw curveballs.
wickedmetal.blogspot.com <--I paint HeroQuest!
My players' monthly game results
Mods I Use:
Base Quests in four difficulty steps by Anderas
Random Events by Jacob Busby (pg.5)
Karlen's Circlet by AerynB/drathe/sajungzak
Heartfelt thanks to all of you who have worked to enrich the world of HeroQuest!
Goblin-King wrote:When life gives you lemons, squeeze those lemons into your eyes, enter a berserker rage and punch life in the face!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
benvoliothefirst

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 2nd, 2019, 1:36 pm

benvoliothefirst wrote:I'm slowly adding in more complexity as the players start to dip their toes into role playing and situations call for it.

This is exactly as i like to see the game evolve. The game starts simple... the new rules or twists to them are added, introduced via artefacts or quest notes. Which is kind of how it's initially intended. The game grows with the players. Things like character creation wouldn't be introduced til after dieing a few times. The last group I was in had a few different heroes, interchanging depending on who else was playing (new joiners, vacant players) or ideas they wanted to try.

Quest note twists like 'Undead must be finished off', 'Ancient magic enchants the chaos warriors armour through it's orb' (i won't get into the rules in this thread). Items such as the rope, introduced when found, and spell scrolls (enchanted for an action at the sorcerers table). Later Quest would feature mechanics regarding magical traps or curses surprising a magical user enchanting a scroll.

The idea is to not overburden new players with rules. The game simply plays... but with each new game, a new thing would be learned, added.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 2nd, 2019, 1:52 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
benvoliothefirst wrote:I'm slowly adding in more complexity as the players start to dip their toes into role playing and situations call for it.

This is exactly as i like to see the game evolve. The game starts simple... the new rules or twists to them are added, introduced via artefacts or quest notes. Which is kind of how it's initially intended. The game grows with the players. Things like character creation wouldn't be introduced til after dieing a few times. The last group I was in had a few different heroes, interchanging depending on who else was playing (new joiners, vacant players) or ideas they wanted to try.

Quest note twists like 'Undead must be finished off', 'Ancient magic enchants the chaos warriors armour through it's orb' (i won't get into the rules in this thread). Items such as the rope, introduced when found, and spell scrolls (enchanted for an action at the sorcerers table). Later Quest would feature mechanics regarding magical traps or curses surprising a magical user enchanting a scroll.

The idea is to not overburden new players with rules. The game simply plays... but with each new game, a new thing would be learned, added.

I write my quest books - which encompass not more than four quests for a storyline = 1 or 2 sessions - that way.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » March 9th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I'm constantly on the lookout for ways to enhance/expand the HQ experience, while simultaneously not bogging it down too much or trying to turn it into some other
type of game (retaining the basic core elements and keeping compatibility with official quest packs).

Sorry if I've forgotten exactly who created what on here... I have found many of the custom creations available off the main page of ye olde inn to be quite fun.

I am trying to use furniture more interactively, so when a piece of furniture has no specific quest notes, I add the following:

1) The Alchemist's Bench and the Sorcerer's Table can restore a used spell if searched for treasure by a magic user. If no spell has been used up already,
it gives a random potion draw (alchemist) or spell scroll (sorcerer).

2) I am using the "Potion Cards" deck for this purpose (also allowing magic users to generate 1 or 2 random potions at the start of a Quest, unless the quest specifically
gives you a potion already, like the Ogre Horde series). If you see a Potion with a gold value on it, you can purchase multiple copies at that price, and you can always sell them back in between quests at the same value (since a Potion is never worn, it is either used or it isn't).

3) For the "Weapons Rack" unless there are specific quest instructions, I will be allowing a Hero who searches it for treasure to draw randomly from an "equipment cards" deck.
I created a custom deck using the localized NA "equipment cards" deck as a base and only including (with some artistic license) the weapons that physically are represented on the rack.

4) Created an expanded armory, that not only includes the "missing" UK weapons, but also some other weapons/armor that others have created also with some of my own ideas.

5) I am using the "Evil Wizard Cards" deck for Zargon to generate stuff when there are no monsters on the board.

6) I am using the "Combat Cards" decks, though I fudged it a little by allowing magic users to draw cards as well (2 each per quest, 4 four Zargon). If the Barbarian and Dwarf are Knights (10-14 Quests completed, I'll let them each draw 3, but then Zargon gets 6 total those times!).

7) I've expanded my Treasure deck somewhat with cards from the UK version (trying to keep the # of total cards down, because you'll never get through them all even in the biggest quests).
The Holy Water is modified (does 4 BP damage to "Undead" or Chaos monsters... and we decided also Chaos Warriors). If used on a Hero or Mercenary, it restores 1 lost Mind Point.

8a) I plan to use the HQ colored dice (black, green), mainly to give weapon and armor upgrades for veteran players (those who have completed a certain number of quests).

8b) The Blue Dice will be used by certain monsters. I have special "Potions" that can be used by Chaos sorcerers that let them roll blue dice in defense (except against spells) until the end of the Quest. I plan to introduce these if the good guys are Champions already (3-5 Quests completed) when facing them.

8c) "Elite" Monsters. When the Heroes are all Champions, each new Game System Monster placed on the board (NOT Wandering, Summoned Monsters, or special Quest characters) will get 1 die rolled. On a Black Shield, he becomes an "Elite" getting a special token under him. He attacks with Black dice and defends with Blue. Needless to say Orcs become much more powerful! If the Heroes are all Knights, then the die rolled to determine Elite status is a blue die (double the chances of getting a stronger monster).

9) I'm allowing the Heroes to shoot arrows over the head of the Dwarf (but also allowing monsters to do the same if Zargon chooses). Also over tables.

10) I'm allowing Heroes to roll to "break the hold" of the Yeti, using an action to do so. In between Quests they learned a "wrestling trick" from another Adventurer.

11) Due to an argument with players at one point, I will be making it so a corridor (or room) that is "cut off" by a sprung pit trap needs to be searched separately
from the rest of it to discover everything.

12) I am (for now) allowing a Hero to "unequip" his shield while carrying a battle axe. I don't plan to let him abuse it, however.

13) I'm allowing Heroes to toss each other a potion over ling-of-sight distances as long as they can roll a skull.

14) I'm allowing a zombified Hero to be "cured" by another Hero, so long as they have an Anti-Poison Quill. They have to be on an adjacent or diagonal touching
square to the victim and roll a skull on one die and the victim responds by rolling 1 dice and gets anything but a black shield. It turns out this is incredibly hard to do,
but it certainly made for a tension filled quest at one point!

15) I'm allowing searching for treasure (once) in each corridor of a quest. This was allowed in the premiere release of the game system, and that's how we played as kids,
so I'm keeping it.

16) I'm going to be allowing weapon retrieval, for lost thrown weapons, assuming the monster wounded by it is dead and no monsters are visible in the place where it was lost. Search for Treasure to do this. I might make an exception for daggers though since they are so cheap...

17) I have a special monster that will in certain circumstances flip out and can potentially attack other monsters (black shield rolled on 1 die whenever other monsters closer than Heroes). I haven't had an opportunity to use it yet though.

18) I plan to allow the hiring of Mercenaries starting in Quest # 4 for the Elf Quest Pack... will just borrow from the Barbarian Quest Pack rules for this. Thought about having Elf mercs, but this might ruin some things, so I will just use the regular dudes.

19) I'm planning to allow up to 6 Hero characters at a time, assuming we have that many people playing, using some new characters I designed. I'm planning to retain the
"only one elf or barbarian per party" rule for now though. I'm still fine tuning these new characters but once completed, there will be a few new spells to consider,
inspired by things available in different versions of the game already.

20) I'm allowing occasional "side missions" to visit an Inn or a Palace, mainly as an excuse to get new gear, recruit mercs, or get tips or clues for an upcoming quest pack. These
will tend to be a lot more casual and have a lot less combat but often a puzzle or two. Call it RP lite. Hopefully that's not overkill!

21) I have custom versions of most of the Four "Element" Hero spells and the WOM Hero spells that also list variant updates that can be used if the Hero is a Champion (3-5 Quests complete) or Knight (10-14 completed). Not massive changes in most cases but slight tweaks and some of the suggested improvements by others.

22) The Scrolls of Battle when discovered each grant a tactical ability for the party. Discovered in various bookcases when you search for Treasure, you can use a turn to study them. Each one grants a new ability. One allows the Heroes to attack with a Black die, when surrounding a foe (each additional Hero surrounding adds a new Black die substitution for each Hero, so four Heroes surrounding a monster get to substitute up to three each! Not going over the number of dice they normally attack with of course). Another does the same for defense, as long as the Heroes are adjacent or diagonal from one another (squares touching) and they each have a piece of armor such as a shield, cloak or bracers, they can substitute a Green die in defense: so two Heroes 1 each, three two each, four get up to three each. And finally when Heroes are touching diagonally or adjacent and they each have ranged weapons they can substitute a black die for each additional Hero (2 Heroes get 1 black die each, 3 get 2 each, etc). I've decided that in the bigger games (more than four heroes) it doesn't go over the "3 substitutions each" limit. But I haven't tested that far ahead to know if it would be warranted.

23) Ogre Mercenary (Ogre Warrior with 1 extra Mind Point). Eventually Monster mercs will be introduced. These are more expensive than standard Mercs and fewer of them can be hired (they will randomly "show up" at taverns or Inns between Quests). The Ogre craves meat, so after the last enemy in a group is killed, he'll regain 1 lost Body Point (unless he was nowhere near the fight or it was only undead creatures). If he doesn't get to do this for awhile, and you can't give him a leg of mutton or spoiled meat as a prize, he may leave the party or turn back into a standard enemy Ogre Warrior.

24) Occasional tweaks to Merc rules. Sometimes they can get their weapons stolen or destroyed by the enemy (having to use backup weapons, typically a sword for the bow users, or just a dagger), get captured (rescue him and no retainer fee or else he quits for good due to career ending injuries), or maybe you find someone who starts out unarmed and you can give them one spare piece of armor and one weapon, which they turn over at the end of the quest (can't re-hire him). They can also pick up dropped gear (from a dead character) and bring it back to you (even though they won't use it themselves). As mentioned in the Evil Wizard deck, sometimes one can get tempted to Chaos and turn into a Monster or get greedy and desert (very rarely).

25) Speaking of Mercs I'm working on having some type of Magical Mercenary. My idea would be they have the ability to restore one of your Spells or generate a potion for you. I'd have to make it so that it isn't something they can just abuse (probably a die roll every other turn) and such that you wouldn't just take advantage once and then let the poor guy get killed. These would be a little rarer and costlier than your standard men at arms. Mostly they would be a support person, not a front line fighter but can still defend themselves.

26) Unless the Quest book specifically says they can't, I'm assuming the Heroes can always go to the shops between Quests as well as have their Body and Mind Points restored. On the occasion that this is impossible or makes no sense I did print out a copy of that Scroll of Town Portal when they really need it or the series is going to be ruined.

27) A few new artifacts. Borin's Battleaxe is a BA that you can use with a shield. Borin's Helmet reduces damage from falling block or stalactite traps by 1 BP (and be combined with Borin's Armor which I assume is just the chest-piece). Borin's Boots which reduce damage from any type of Pit hazard or Trap (and also Pits of Darkness, Earthquake pits, etc) by 1 BP when worn (can't be worn over other boots).

28) "Knight" (10-14 Quests completed) Wizards/Alchemists and Mystics can Summon an Elemental if they sacrifice 3 cards of the same element type (can also be Spell Scrolls). Super strong creature (more like a power-up for clearing a room or destroying a boss) that only lasts for 2-7 turns (depending on a die roll plus 1). They can wreck havoc on monsters, acting like a moving wall of flame/water/boulder/tempest essentially and can only be "killed" by passing through another Elemental or having an opposite element spell used on them, otherwise they just get "used up" by turns. They can also use certain spells, but this uses up another turn, shorting their lifespan considerably.

29) The Ice Gremlins can steal from Mercs too. When you discover the hoard where they stored their stolen loot, it will be all the stuff stolen from all previous Quests. If nothing has been stolen and not recovered, it will still contain some useful things, since they probably raided some other Adventurers besides you.

30) Using the Lone Monster "Parley" deck. Encounter a lone monster (neither Hero nor Monster has yet attacked the other, so doesn't apply to Wandering Monsters) and you can draw a card. Its about a 50% chance of a negative outcome: Monster damages you and runs off (at least you got rid of the Monster), a Hazard hits you, a Wandering Monster shows up, or the Monster themselves just ignores it and attacks you. If you're lucky you get a chance to buy a discounted Armory piece from them, they drop a potion, Boots of Speed (+2 movement), some gold/jewel, or "Junk" (nothing happens but at least you lost the monster!). You can't Parley with Gargoyles or named Quest characters and some of the stronger monsters in the later quest packs. Mercs don't parley, only Heroes, of course.

31) At a certain point, Bounties will be given for killing Wandering Monsters (based on the gold rewards offered in the Japanese Game System).

Other than the Elf Quest mercs idea, I plan to play the packs in the following order and stick to "unlocking" things as you go... something available in one pack becomes available
in that pack and from there on … System, Kellar's, Witch Lord, Ogre Horde, Wizards, Elf, Barbarian. the exception to this is that I've already started some of the "solo" quests
for the last two packs to build up some new characters and test things out, etc. As long as characters don't die for good, these should be okay to integrate back into the main
campaign. Pretty ambitious, as there are probably years worth of questing to be found there!
Last edited by Kurgan on September 5th, 2020, 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next