• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dwarf Miners

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Dwarf Miners

Postby mitchiemasha » March 20th, 2018, 6:10 am

I like the idea of the Pick Axe. Smashing walls and black shields needing to be defended against.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » April 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm

I haven't seen the Miner henchman yet, but I wouldn't want him to make a 3-AD Halberdier less relevant. Much like a 2-AD Scout opening doors, the advantage of the Miner is his ability to open walls. I also agree with knightkrawler that an improvised weapon should have just two combat dice. I wouldn't even allow diagonal reach as it swings like a battle axe. All said, I'd assign just two combat dice for a Miner's pick.

Still, I agree your 3 AD formula works well for busting walls, so I'd allow that many (combat) dice for that ability only.

The chance of collapse is fun, but I'd recommend simplification. How about just a single trigger of two or more black shields that is treated as a falling-block trap? This is easy to reference and a miner should be able to plan digging around a tile anyway. This 1-in-18 event will occur at the front end of the third digging session on average, possibly killing the Miner outright. The other very lethal part about defending any black shields can be cut out since this big collapse threatens twelve times more often than rolling three black shields.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 19th, 2018, 5:06 am

Daedalus wrote:I haven't seen the Miner henchman yet, but I wouldn't want him to make a 3-AD Halberdier less relevant. Much like a 2-AD Scout opening doors, the advantage of the Miner is his ability to open walls. I also agree with knightkrawler that an improvised weapon should have just two combat dice. I wouldn't even allow diagonal reach as it swings like a battle axe. All said, I'd assign just two combat dice for a Miner's pick.

Still, I agree your 3 AD formula works well for busting walls, so I'd allow that many (combat) dice for that ability only.

The chance of collapse is fun, but I'd recommend simplification. How about just a single trigger of two or more black shields that is treated as a falling-block trap? This is easy to reference and a miner should be able to plan digging around a tile anyway. This 1-in-18 event will occur at the front end of the third digging session on average, possibly killing the Miner outright. The other very lethal part about defending any black shields can be cut out since this big collapse threatens twelve times more often than rolling three black shields.

The Miner can't attack diagonally so he hasn't got that special ability of the halberdier. He has a two handed weapon which would normally give 4 attack dice (Battle Axe), but he is being penalised an attack die down to 3. I simplified the falling rock rules in an earlier post. Any black shields rolled when attacking the wall count as skulls against the Miner which he can defend against. So if he rolled two Black Shields in his three dice attack, he would roll his defence die as if he had been hit by 2 skulls from an attack.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » May 14th, 2018, 5:54 am

I like the idea of a miner. Might use it sometime for a hero class or so.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules