Additional stat categories?

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: Additional stat categories?

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday January 7th, 2018 6:45pm

No... I like how HeroQuest only has limited stats. That's part of it's beauty. All of the extra things, like tests etc can be attributed by those stats. As Anderas points out, focus on improving Mind points first.

Sneak, Thiriokinesis (control beast), Healer, Berserker, Warewolf... all tie into Mind points in my game. I did use them for initiative for a while too but that got ditched.

For instance 'Sneak Skill: Each rolled Movement d6 must be lower than the Hero's mind to Sneak'. Roll too high and your too excited, too quick, theme it anyway you choose. The higher that hero's Mind the better he is at the chosen skill, more likely to achieve it. In character creation you don't want to give your Hero too much Mind as it will have very weak body, it's for the player to find a nice sweet spot. I didn't want to add extra rolls slowing down the game so the Mind test to use your skill are linked to the movement roll.
Last edited by mitchiemasha on Sunday January 7th, 2018 6:49pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday January 7th, 2018 6:47pm

We have 4... Body, Mind, Attack, Defence. 5 if including movement: Speed. Any more and I think it's too much, over kill!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday February 21st, 2018 7:54pm

I see movement as a stat that can be broadened. If you modify dice for different Heroes as Gold Bearer has done (ie. roll 3, keep best 2), you have an adjustable stat. That in turn can be used for agility tests and the like. Movement already affects initiative when initiating combat. Set it against a monster's move and you can add in specials like escaping combat or turn-to-turn initiative. This water pit trap idea shows another use for the move stat.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday February 22nd, 2018 7:42pm

Daedalus wrote:I see movement as a stat that can be broadened. If you modify dice for different Heroes as Gold Bearer has done (ie. roll 3, keep best 2).

A trait that can be selected in character creation Speed: Used d8's for movement (usually ELFS). Roll 3 keep 2 works well too. Both are on the print out. An artifact idea as well.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 6:16pm

That's right, you've also worked with movement variability. One movement-dice idea I've considered was to make some custom d6's. Slow ones would have some pips filled in ( :roll1: :roll1: :roll2: :roll3: :roll4: :roll5: ) while fast ones would have some pips added ( :roll2: :roll3: :roll4: :roll5: :roll6: :roll6: ). Or something like that. The idea was a slow set and fast set each had their own color associated with wearing different armors.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Wednesday March 7th, 2018 11:52pm

Daedalus wrote: One movement-dice idea I've considered was to make some custom d6's. Slow ones would have some pips filled in ( :roll1: :roll1: :roll2: :roll3: :roll4: :roll5: ) while fast ones would have some pips added ( :roll2: :roll3: :roll4: :roll5: :roll6: :roll6: ). Or something like that.

Similar to Thunder Road. This has a black road bonus d6, 2 1's, 2 2's, 1 3, 1 4. This would be the slow dice but It has actual numbers instead of pips.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » Thursday March 8th, 2018 10:22am

For my Questing Heroes...and possibly for HQ in the future with my son...I've added a Spirit score, but that
is the only additional stat I use. Spirit Points are used to determine healing and clerical/priestly spell casting,
and druidic spell casting. Sometimes it used to to determine how powerful a spell can be, and sometimes it
is used to determine how much of a spell can be known/how many times a spell can be used/etc.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Previous

Return to Rules