• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Wandering Monster patrols

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Wandering Monster patrols

Postby Daedalus » December 30th, 2017, 6:43 pm

A Morcar/Zargon/Evil Wizard Player deck is a great way to motivate the Heroes not to over-exploit the unlimited time available to them in a Quest. For those M/Z players who want that leverage but don't want to invest the time, trouble, and money needed to create a deck, I've worked up a simplified alternative that uses Monster Cards instead.

Start by placing the Monster Cards as a face-down deck behind the Information Screen. If there aren't any monsters on the gameboard at the start of M/Z's turn, draw a card. If the Monster Card matches the Wandering Monster for the Quest, place the matching figure on the gameboard just out of view of the Heroes, either immediately or on the first possible M/Z turn. This patrolling Wandering Monster may move/attack as normal.

If the drawn card isn't the Wandering Monster but matches the Wandering Monster figure color-type (green, white, gray, etc.), place a Wandering Monster figure next to the Monster Card deck. If the Wandering Monster card is later drawn, any figures by the Monster Card deck are also placed and moved as part of the Wandering Monster patrol.

A Monster Card is discarded after drawing it, but shuffle all the Monster Cards together after the Wandering Monster is drawn.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Monster patrols

Postby lestodante » December 30th, 2017, 7:11 pm

I like your idea! Especially if used with other custom rules where the heroes can spent turn without moving to recover spells or mind points, this will add some suspance to the quest.
Oh, and I'd like to introduce a wandering chaos sorcerer in a custom quest... but better if he is not alone, so your rule about collecting minis next to the deck until a wandering monster card is drawn will be very useful.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Wandering Monster patrols

Postby Pancho » December 31st, 2017, 2:45 am

Sounds like a very well thought out idea.

I like my Evil Wizard Deck too much to abandon it now, but if it weren't for that your wandering monsters would be patrolling my Quests looking for Heroes to kill.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » December 31st, 2017, 7:52 am

I once started to make a more detailed treasure deck - actually four different decks for searching empty rooms, searching rooms with furniture, searching tombs and looting dead figures. One thing I included was an amount of wandering monster patrol cards (a minor percentage of all wandering monster cards) which would produce 1D3 wandering monsters (the amount was differed in the four decks - for example, searching in.a funitured room had better treasures, but also greater dangers (assumingthe search takes more time and focus).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 1st, 2018, 1:20 am

Yeah, i like it. I'd play this idea. I especially like how it utilises the existing part of the game, the monster deck.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 1st, 2018, 4:01 am

mitchiemasha wrote:Yeah, i like it. I'd play this idea. I especially like how it utilises the existing part of the game, the monster deck.

...that does not have any real uses otherwise. I like it, too.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » January 1st, 2018, 7:37 am

That's a great idea, and simple to implement.

Care has to be taken when introducing new monster cards, that this deck won't become too diluted. But hey we are free to modify the drawing rule as well as the card stack size, so this ain't too much of a concern.

I remember for the EWP deck I had to test several times until I got the pressure right. Now that it works I wouldn't want to miss it. |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 2nd, 2018, 5:42 pm

knightkrawler wrote:...that does not have any real uses otherwise. I like it, too.

Ahaa... You've never played my Higher lower game at the Inn. A bit of pre quest gambling. The top card is revealed, you pick a stat and say higher or lower, if you're right you move on to the next card.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » January 2nd, 2018, 5:46 pm

I also use the deck to pick a random Monster when i play the AHQ wondering monster token. The card stays out til it's killed and this monster only has 1bp unlike the upgraded to US stats of the normal monsters.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SirRick » January 2nd, 2018, 6:39 pm

It is a great idea! I never used the monster cards before.
I know the rules state that you are supposed to have them handy for the players to look at, but I don't like the Heroes to have all the information right in front of them; it seems like cheating if novice heroes know everything right off the bat.

This wandering monster deck idea is a good use of the cards, and helps prevent heroes from always lining up at the door and slaughtering everything before it can move. Now the monsters will be able to do the same thing to the heroes on occasion.

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Rules