• Advertisement

dual wielding

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

dual wielding

Postby DullandRusty » Wednesday December 6th, 2017 2:00am

how do you guys that allow dual wielding 2 weapons work the attack phase? do you have the hero roll the dice from both weapons all at once (example, a 3 attack weapon and 2 attack weapon = 5 dice vs whatever the monster's defense dice stat is) or do you split the two attacks up allowing the monster to defend against both weapons (example attack with 3 dice then attack with 2 dice with the monster rolling their normal defense dice each time). also in both cases, do you allow the hero to split his attacks up if there are two targets, using one weapon vs one target and the second vs a second adjacent target?
DullandRusty

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: dual wielding

Postby Anderas » Wednesday December 6th, 2017 3:41am

I have but one or two heroes with access to it. They have to wear the same weapon in both hands. Then they get one additional attack die.

Some here give a second attack straight away. I don't, because I made some calculations and I feel that this ability would be too strong for my games.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Thursday December 7th, 2017 6:25pm

a double attack will be too strong in my opinion.
I'd prefer to apply Anderas rule instead. Consider that to proper handle 2 weapons at the same time you need appropriate skills.
So better add an extra die or to allow a second attack (and a second defense to the monster)

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups: .
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday December 7th, 2017 7:42pm

The Short Sword in our games is Dual Wield (not diagonal attack). Own 2 have 2 attacks. Stacking it in 1 attack is powerful but 2 separate attacks not so. This can be used on 2 different monsters. If the same monster, it defends twice, once to both attacks. Same as the brew.

This is fun, nice and simple. The down side for that hero is it can't use a shield.

For the standard British rules it is too powerful but utilising US BP and other mods like unique monster traits, a good balance.

I don't like to make it +1Ad6 (3d6) as this offers no difference to game play from the broadsword, except the loss of a shield hand. Perhaps a cheaper way to get 3Ad6 due to the loss. It's important to me that every additional mod adds a different perspective, ways to play, otherwise there's little point to the mod.

2 attacks does already exist, the brew, Dual Wield simply unlocks it. This character with a brew would get 4 Attacks, lethal. Remember though, 2 attack dice is quite week once deep in the game. Especially up against a Fimir getting a free counter attack, Tail Bash, if not killed. This would happen before the second attack. 3Ad6 in this case would hold more power. Now, not having that shield seem like a bad idea.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Thursday December 7th, 2017 8:20pm

The rule regarding multiple attack monsters:

A Hero rolls defend dice once for each attacking monster. For example, a Hero attacked by three Zombies gets three separate defend rolls. A Hero attacked by a monster with multiple attacks, however, gets only one defend roll against that monster per turn, no matter how many of the monster's attacks are directed at the Hero.

I would think a multiple attack Hero would work the same way as the given rule.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday December 8th, 2017 12:06pm

j_dean80 wrote:I would think a multiple attack Hero would work the same way as the given rule.

Ahh! the Polar Warbear. It has been brought up before but NOOOOOO! lol!!! It doesn't have to work in reverse, unless specified and even if it was we can choose to not use it. BQP is not an English release, another part the Americans messed up. Heroic Brew existed before it and Dual Wield in mechanics is basically that, there's no mention of the monster not getting a 2nd defence.

The Hero not getting a second defence I'd play as specific to the Warbear and other characters one might make to be similar to it.

For the sake of a perfect mod and character play style, the monster defends twice. If we wanted to nerf it more, the hero could have to predefine 2 attacks on 1 or split attacks. But, an undefended 2nd attack would be OP.

The game 'play style' choice is to go for 2 weak attacks or 1 strong attack and better defence. Having the 2 weak attacks is useless against strong enemies but holds value in a team, when faced with large hordes, especially undead that reanimate. Those Goblins with MAM the EW will need to split up as an elf with Dual Wield will easily mince through them. It's a simple mod that adds so much spice and flavour, extra variety to the game.

Rewards:
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Friday December 8th, 2017 12:21pm

Lets also not forget... Short Swords are easily damaged. 2BS in 1 roll and your down to 1. Might be an idea to have 3, 4 even. All those extra attacks are going to bring the Hero closer to a damage roll.

Damage: Discard an equipped bought weapon when rolling Black Shields equal to its base value (+1 weapons are 3).

Edit: Notice the 'bought'. Your start weapon is considered pretty dull anyways and you never drop lower than that. Unless a Quest where you have weapons taken off you. One can theme this as using the damaged weapon at the start value or the player always has the start weapon. I will add... We don't play the Barbarians starting on 3 as the Broadsword. He has +1 combat bonus in melee attack.

Rewards:
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Rules