• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Pit of Darkness

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Pit of Darkness

Postby The Admiral » April 27th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Officially, apart from damage assessment, these are handled in the same way as pit traps. But you are 30 feet down! No longsword can reach that far. How do people handle these?

I'm proposing that only ranged weapons may attack into and out of a pod, from/to an adjacent square. The Hero down the pod still suffer -1 att/def penelties.

As for henchmen damage, I would say the Swordsman has Platemail, the Scout no armour, and the other two chainmail.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Pit of Darkness

Postby knightkrawler » April 27th, 2017, 3:41 pm

As for the Henchmen defend dice, my opinion based on WYSIWYG:

Swordsman: 5 = plate 4 + helmet 1
Halberdier: 3 = chainmail 3 + helmet 1; he should have 4, but we agree on what he wears.
Crossbowman: 3 = chainmail 3 + helmet 1; same thing.
Scout: 3 = light armor 1 + helmet 1 + shield 1, in effect, we agree.

The light armor would have to written up as a card, and the crossbowman and halberdier could be interpreted as wearing no helmet, as opposed to what you see on the figure and the card art.
HQ is not known for coherence...

My own rule:
Abyss Trap
The hero that triggers an abyss trap must immediately discard 2♥. Morcar sets up an abyss trap marker according to the quest map, which will remain there until the end of the quest. When a figure ends their move in a square containing a sprung abyss trap, they must discard 2♥ and end their turn immediately. A figure in an abyss trap has no line of sight whatsoever, may take no action and cannot be attacked unless with a ranged attack from an orthogonally adjacent square. They can only move to an unoccupied adjacent square after they or an adjacent hero have the equipment card “Rope”. Until then or they die, leave the figure in that square. If they are still there at the end of the quest, they die. Figures may move through an abyss trap square by counting three squares.

It's basically what you suggest.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 27th, 2017, 4:12 pm

knightkrawler wrote:As for the Henchmen defend dice, my opinion based on WYSIWYG:

Swordsman: 5 = plate 4 + helmet 1
Halberdier: 3 = chainmail 3 + helmet 1; he should have 4, but we agree on what he wears.
Crossbowman: 3 = chainmail 3 + helmet 1; same thing.
Scout: 3 = light armor 1 + helmet 1 + shield 1, in effect, we agree.

The light armor would have to written up as a card, and the crossbowman and halberdier could be interpreted as wearing no helmet, as opposed to what you see on the figure and the card art.
HQ is not known for coherence....

I have actually amended the stats of all my henchmen to match what they are wearing and carrying. They all have chainmail, a helmet, move 6 and cost 75GC:
Swordsman - Greatsword = att 4/def 4.
Halberdier- Halberd = att 3/def 4. May attack diagonally.
Crossbowman - Crossbow = att 3(1)/def 4. attacks 3 at range and 1 adjacent.
Man at Arms - Broadsword and Shield = att 3/def 5. No scout abilities.

Other henchmen I use are Elf Spearman, Elf Archer, Elf Swordsman, High Elf Archer, High Elf Spearman, Dwarf Axeman, Dwarf Thunderer, Dwarf Scout, Dwarf Slayer, Halfling Archer, Peasant, Scout, Norscan Warrior, Ranger, Sargent, Captain, Wolf and Bear.

I have leather armour for purchase (250GC), which I guess is light armour. This gives +1 defence die, but the roll has to be a black shield to defend.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 21st, 2017, 5:36 pm

The Admiral wrote:Officially, apart from damage assessment, these are handled in the same way as pit traps. But you are 30 feet down! No longsword can reach that far. How do people handle these?

I'm proposing that only ranged weapons may attack into and out of a pod, from/to an adjacent square. The Hero down the pod still suffer -1 att/def penelties.

As for henchmen damage, I would say the Swordsman has Platemail, the Scout no armour, and the other two chainmail.

I like your long-ranged proposal for a pit of darkness and would use it. As for the Mercenaries, I'd only make one change and treat a scout as wearing chain mail.

A 30-foot fall doesn't make sense to me. I think 10 feet could have achieved the same purpose and made escape without assistance far more plausible. Still, KK's rope solution fixes that, so 30 feet is okay (and I like a few more Armory items to drain gold coins.)

Your spot of this rule failure is further evidence that AotOH wasn't play-tested properly. If only the Internet were around back then to set 'em straight. At least HQ was built solidly enough to last so we could finally(?) get it right today.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Rules