• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ - HEROES & VILLAINS (knightkrawler's full rule set)

Discuss new Rules for HeroQuest.

Re: HQ - HEROES & VILLAINS (knightkrawler's full rule set)

Postby Gold Bearer » April 1st, 2017, 5:02 pm

An elf runesmith doesn't seem to really fit, at least nowhere near as well as a dwarf runesmith.

I also think race should be more than just fluff and there should be something in game to separate them. The simplest way of doing that is with a few race exclusive items.

knightkrawler wrote:For Granite Oil, discard and lose mean the same, that much is cleared up in the rulebook.
I wouldn't use the term discard unless there's actually a card to discard. It's not technically wrong but it sounds wrong.

knightkrawler wrote:Aiming Wax: as a mechanic to improve your attack, it works the way I wanted it as is. Otherwise the chances of a wasted focussed attack seem to high for me.
I think this is another example (like the losing one third of gold when you give it to another hero) of a gamelplay rule with no in game reason for it. Gameplay should normally take priority over realism but I think there should at least be an in game reason for every rule otherwise it brakes the immersion. In this case the player is deciding after they've made the attack whether or not their hero applied the wax before the attack was made. If you don't think the buff is powerful enough otherwise then I'd increase the buff with a reroll of each dice if it doesn't come up as a skull on the first roll.

knightkrawler wrote:Again, I can't thank you enough for taking all this time and showing interest and insight. |_P
[/quote]That's okay, I like seeing what other people have come up with and I know how helpful a fresh eye can be. Sometimes it's hard to see clearly when you're too close.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on April 2nd, 2017, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby knightkrawler » April 2nd, 2017, 3:40 am

For the race thing.
You probably looked at the rolecards, seeing the icons next to the profession term. But the icon is really just for the hero class Warrior, Sojourner, Adept, and Wizard.
Once I've figured out my background world a little more, I'll probably come up with racial specifics, but right now it's rather that I find a good hero miniature, and wirte something up.
Case in point, the Runesmith. And yet, the class must be replaceing the original Elf, not the Dwarf, because of the nature of her one-off skills (like Elf spells) rather than perpetual talents like Disarm Traps) that define the Sojourner classes.

Discard is used for tokens, too. I use Body and Mind tokens that are discarded and taken from the pool (lost and restored).
But I will replace "discard" uses for Body and Mind on cards with "lose".

Aiming Wax: I give in, for the reason that what you point out is one main reason my game may not be liked. I think the re-rolling 1 die makes up for it, though.
Piotentially, the Alchemist, as opposed to other Wizards, can max out with a longsword as the one metal item allowed to him, which makes this wax as powerful as I want it.
Hope you like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » April 2nd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Much better.

knightkrawler wrote:For the race thing.
You probably looked at the rolecards, seeing the icons next to the profession term. But the icon is really just for the hero class Warrior, Sojourner, Adept, and Wizard.
Once I've figured out my background world a little more, I'll probably come up with racial specifics, but right now it's rather that I find a good hero miniature, and wirte something up.
Case in point, the Runesmith. And yet, the class must be replaceing the original Elf, not the Dwarf, because of the nature of her one-off skills (like Elf spells) rather than perpetual talents like Disarm Traps) that define the Sojourner classes.
I think you might be unnecessarily restricting yourself with this. If it's really important to you that each group of four has one with a persistent skill then why does that one have to be the dwarf? A dwarf runesmith in a group of four with something like an elf ranger with a permanent ability would be much better in my opinion. :2cents:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » April 2nd, 2017, 2:05 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I think you might be unnecessarily restricting yourself with this. If it's really important to you that each group of four has one with a persistent skill then why does that one have to be the dwarf? A dwarf runesmith in a group of four with something like an elf ranger with a permanent ability would be much better in my opinion. :2cents:

The rolecard pictures are examples for the hero type, nothing more.
That Sellsword or even the Guildmage can be of any race. It's just pictures, for the moment resembling the miniatures I have, but not restricting the possibility that you could just be a Dwarven or even Forsaken Orc Marauder with the same rules or an Elvish Caerscout or a Half-Orc Elementalist.

The only thing that makes you feel that I'm restricted is that I use the classical hero icons for hero classes, which doesn't restrict race, but merely is an hommage to the original heroes all of my heroes are derived from.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » April 2nd, 2017, 2:30 pm

Ah that's true. There's no race rules yet so I suppose it makes no difference. It's just that if someone was to choose the runesmith then chances are they'd want it to be a dwarf so I'd suggest using four non-race type symbols instead. They're meant to denote broad class type rather than race so maybe a book or staff/wand for the wizard type, a weapon for the barbie type, both overlaid together for the elf type and er, something else for the dwarf type.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 20th, 2017, 5:37 pm

|_P
knightkrawler wrote:The Morcar Compendium is done.
It contains additional rules for BASE SIZES, DARKNESS, UPGRADING VILLAINS and other awesome stuff.j
Feedback is very appreciated.

OK, here we go. I don't remember your capitalizing preference and new terms, so ignore those suggestions that don't apply. Inn icons were substituted, but you can figure it out. I went with singular and plural icons for readability. I'm not sure if you're interested, but at least you can see what it looks like.

Adding Cards
Scrolls
"...They comprise their own deck and are found in regular treasure searches (by drawing the treasure card “Scroll”) or as described by the quest notes...." > ...They comprise their own deck and are found in regular treasure searches (by drawing the Treasure Card “Scroll”) or as described by the Quest notes....
"...They are parchments magically embedded with one spell each in such a way
that any hero can cast the respective spell...." > ...They are parchments magically embedded with one spell each in such a way that any Hero can cast the respective spell...
"...Scrolls may be carried over from quest to quest until used. They can be sold for 4 :roll6: +16 :2cents: apiece between quests, but only if the heroes are allowed to buy equipment then...." > ...Scrolls may be carried over from Quest to Quest until used. They can be sold for 4 :roll6: +16 :2cents:s apiece between Quests, but only if the Heroes are allowed to buy equipment then....
Other Cards
"...Before you play a quest that utilizes the Morcar Compendium,..." > ...Before you play a Quest that utilizes the Morcar Compendium,...

Dungeon Properties
Stairways
"...They are an obstacle to line of sight and separate one area into two, but they can be used by figures to go from one room to the other like doors as they change levels:" > ...They are an obstacle to line of sight and separate one area into two, but they can also be used by figures to go from one room to the other like doors as they change levels:
"...Figures on a stairway square roll -1 ┄ for both attack and defense...." (While it is interesting you made stairways in common with pit traps in this regard, it does favor villains that only lose a black shield vs. the white shield of a Hero.)
Darkness
"...Some quest notes say “This area is dark".... > ...Some Quest notes say “This area is dark....
"...That means, when a door into a dark room is opened, you only set up the square behind it and then further setting up the contents of the room only as the heroes move and gain ╧ to adjacent squares...." > ...That means when a door into a dark room is opened, you only set up the square behind it. You then further set up the contents of the room only as the heroes move and gain ╧ to adjacent squares....
"... :arrow: [movement] is only 1 :roll6: for heroes and half their respective score for villains...." > ... :arrow: [movement] is only 1 :roll6: for Heroes and half their respective score for villains....
"...Searches do not include the whole area, but only adjacent squares, which means that villains can be present in the area, just not adjacent to the searching figure...." > ...Searches only include adjacent squares--not the whole area--which means that villains can be present in the area, just not adjacent to the searching figure.....
"...Figures with red eyes are not affected by darkness and make an attack roll that is not an action against a figure that moves adjacent to them before that figure may attack normally...." > ...Figures with red eyes are not affected by darkness; before a normal figure that moves adjacent may attack, a red-eyed figure may make an attack roll that is not an action against it....
"...Morcar, be fair when moving villains around a dark area without moving their actual figure before these villains have been set up." > ...Morcar, be fair when tracking villain movement of figures not adjacent to a Hero in a dark area. (Villains that move away from a Hero should also be included.)

Base Sizes
paragraph 1:
"...The default base size for a figure used in HQ – Heroes & Villains is either 25 mm square or round or 30 mm/32 mm round...." > ...The default base size for a figure used in HQ – Heroes & Villains is either 25 mm square/round or 30 mm/32 mm round....
paragraph 2:
"...All these figures are considered orthogonally adjacent to each other, even two figures of four that are in opposite corners of the square, which means they can all attack one of the other ones once per turn...." > ...All these figures are considered orthogonally adjacent to each other, even two figures of four that are in opposite corners of the square. This means all figures can attack one of the others in the square once per turn.... (My feeling was the interrupting phrase was a bit long and interfered with clarity--I needed to reread the sentence-, maybe it's just me. The break is optional.)
paragraph 4:
"...All the squares the base is in even with the smallest surface are occupied by that one figure...." > ...All the squares the base is in--even with the smallest surface--are occupied by that one figure....
paragraph 5:
"...For a figure occupying two squares this means there are ten squares around it that it can attack or treat as orthogonally adjacent squares. For a figure occupying three squares it is twelve adjacent squares. For a figure occupying four squares (2x2 on the grid) it is twelve squares, for a figure occupying six squares (2x3 on the grid) it is fourteen squares...." > ...For a figure occupying two squares, this means there are ten squares around it that it can attack or treat as orthogonally adjacent squares. For a figure occupying three squares, it is twelve adjacent squares. For a figure occupying four squares (2x2 on the grid), it is twelve squares, and for a figure occupying six squares (2x3 on the grid), it is fourteen squares....

Special Rules for Villains

Villains with Icons
"...When in the notes figures to be set up are listed with an icon in brackets, then these figures have special abilities to be taken from the Cards & Icon Key as if they had a card with the respective icon...." > ...When figures to be set up are listed with a bracketed icon in the Quest Notes, these figures use special abilities from the Cards & Icon Key as if they had a card with the respective icon....
Extraordinary Scores
Paragraph 1:
"...That means the villain does not have a default number of squares that they can move per turn, but that you roll X :roll6: for these points each time you want to move that villain individually...." > This means the villain does not have a default number of squares that they can move per turn, but that you instead roll X :roll6: for variable movement each time you want to move that villain individually.... ("These points" isn't clear to me, so variable movement is a bit of a guess. Perhaps such scores fits better.)
Paragraph 2:
"...For example, a Dungeoncrawler has 2/1/1 under :!: [base attack] and there are three heroes adjacent to it. On its turn, it may move and attack one of these heroes with 2 :skull: and the other two heroes with 1 :skull: each. Say you only want to attack two of the three or there are only two adjacent heroes. The Dungeoncrawler may then attack one hero with 3 :skull: and the other with 1 :skull: or both with 2 :skull: each...." > ...For example, a Dungeoncrawler has 2/1/1 under :!: [base attack] and there are three Heroes adjacent to it. On its turn, it may move and attack one of these Heroes with 2 :skull:s and the other two Heroes with 1 :skull: each. Say you only want to attack two of the three, or there are only two adjacent Heroes. The Dungeoncrawler may then attack one Hero with 3 :skull:s and the other with 1 :skull: , or both with 2 :skull:s each.....
Swarms:
"...From that perspective, the base full of figures representing a swarm can be considered a marker. It means that a swarm can attack any figure in the area and vice versa, adjacency not being a factor. Still, the squares occupied by a swarm cannot be occupied by anything else, as this could be considered where the center of the swarm is...." > ...From this perspective, the base full of figures representing a swarm can be considered a marker. It means that a swarm can attack any figure in an area and vice versa, adjacency not being a factor. Still, the squares occupied by a swarm cannot be occupied by anything else, as this is considered to be where the center of the swarm is....

Upgrading Villains
Paragraph 1:
". . . Sometimes, notes will tell you to include a Champion or Spellcaster in an area to be set up. . . ." > . . . Sometimes, the Quest Notes will tell you to include a Champion or Spellcaster in an area to be set up. . . .
". . . Instead of including a score table in the quest notes for these individuals, . . . > . . . Instead of including a score table in the Quest notes for these individuals, . . .
". . . Which level of Champion or Spellcaster you want and if you leave or change the modifiers given, depends on how progressed and equipped your heroes are. . . ." > . . . Which level of Champion or Spellcaster you want, or if you leave or change the modifiers given, depends on how progressed and equipped your heroes are. . . .
Tables:
Do you recall the Wolf Rule (no tables)? It's HQ-specific, but in my opinion worth considering. I could support pulling this info out of Quest Notes if it were ready at a glance. Two thoughts on this--put the tables on an Evil Wizard Screen or make Villain Cards of the entries so the right special villain could be selected beforehand. :2cents:
Paragraph 2:
". . . which is usually after the figure has been killed and a hero first searches for treasure in the area. You might also tell the heroes beforehand . . ." > . . . which is usually after the figure has been killed and a Hero first searches for treasure in the area. You might also tell the Heroes beforehand that the shiny object in the Necromancer's hand is the renowned Orb of Truth to give them some more clues and incentive . . . (The ellipsis correction is something I just found online, but it will sometimes backfire on you and split between two lines. For a finished document, I figure you could avoid the splitting by intentionally writing the word before the ellipsis on the next line. You decide if the style is worth the trouble.)

Additional Icons
". . . The follwing list of icons is added to the entries in Cards & Icon Key. . . ." > . . . The following list of icons is added to the Icon List entries in the Cards & Icon Key. . . . .
  • "(“darksight”) means that the figure that is assigned ☼ by quest notes or a card listing it can see in the dark and is unaffected by the effects of “Darkness” as described in the Morcar Compendium." > (“Darksight”) means that a figure that is assigned ☼ by the Quest Notes or a card listing it can see in the dark and is unaffected by the effects of “Darkness” as described in the Morcar Compendium.
  • "(“the area you are in”) means that the effect in question can only be on one or several squares in the same area as the square you are occupying." > (“The area you are in”) means that the effect in question can only be on one or several squares in the same area as the square you are occupying.
  • "(“incorporeal”) a figure with this icon has no physical body and may move through any obstacle in any explored area, but not end its move in an obstacle. Underway, it attacks every figure it moves through and the figure may defend normally. Interrupt the move with each attack to keep track." > (“incorporeal”) A figure with this icon has no physical body, may move through any obstacle in any explored area, but may not end its move in an obstacle. Underway, it attacks every figure it moves through, and such figures defend normally. Interrupt the move with each attack to keep track. (Does any obstacle include closed doors or walls?)
  • "(“mind attack”) a figure with this icon attacks normally, with the attacked figure defending normally. However, if the attack is successful, the attacked must discard :blueorb: instead of ♥." > (“mind attack”) A figure with this icon attacks normally, with the attacked figure defending normally. However, if the attack is successful, the defender must discard :blueorb: instead of ♥.
  • "(“touch”) means that instead of on a {°} in ¤, the # can only be cast on yourself or an adjacent figure." > (“Touch”) means that the # [target spell] can only be cast on yourself or an adjacent figure instead of on a {°} [target figure] in ¤ [line of sight]. (I found the use of some icons in explanatory text confusing, though I haven't read the rules in a while. Including the text meaning in sections separate from the referenced icons might help with the learning curve.)
  • "(“reach 2”) allows a figure to attack any square that they would reach using :arrow: [movement] during movement (“2 squares away”). The icon shows the attacking figure in the bottom left square and determines the attackable squares with X's. The attack against a square “2 squares away” is only possible if at least one square orthogonally adjacent to both attacking figure and target figure is unoccupied." > (“Reach 2”) allows a figure to attack another figure in any square that they would reach using 2 :arrow: [movement] during movement (“2 squares away”). The icon shows the attacking figure in the bottom left square and identifies the attackable squares with X's. The attack against a figure in a square “2 squares away” is only possible if at least one square orthogonally adjacent to both the attacking figure and target figure is unoccupied.
  • "(“swing”) allows a figure to distribute all hits from their attack roll among any number of adjacent figures. . . ." > (“Swing”) allows a figure to distribute all hits from their attack roll among any number of adjacent figures. . . .
  • "(“killing strike”) if your attack roll against a figure with a number on its base results in both :skull: and :blackshield: , but no :whiteshield: , the attacked figure must immediately discard all their remaining ♥." > (“killing strike”) If your attack roll against a figure with a number on its base results in a combination of :skull:s and :blackshield:s without any :whiteshield:s, the attacked figure must immediately discard all their remaining ♥.
  • "(“mystical protection”) when attacked by the effects or by figures summoned or affected by a #, you may double your :skull: for the defense roll." > (“mystical protection”) When attacked by the effects of a # [spell] or by figures summoned or affected by one, you may double your :skull: for the defense roll.
  • "(“shield riposte”) if your defense roll results in a number of :whiteshield: in excess of all hits, . . ." > (“shield riposte”) If your defense roll results in a number of :whiteshield:s in excess of all hits, . . .
  • "(“targeted”) instead of :skull: , :whiteshield: is a hit in an attack roll. . . ." > (“targeted”) Instead of a :skull: , a :whiteshield: is a hit in an attack roll. . . .
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 20th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Shiny!
Awesome, dude!
The first round of revisiting is planned for early 2018, thank you very much!

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » June 20th, 2017, 10:33 am

New Questpack is up, Eternal Kingdom, where I diverged from revisiting the original quest packs.
Instead of rewriting Return of the Witch-Lord I used my own ideas and wrote eight very diverse quests, taking only a few of the creative ideas from RotWL.
It is played on various game boards or a tiles system or a game mat which you can draw things onto.

The "monsters" are Harpies, Witch Elves, Dryads, Giant Spiders, and some undead. Plus two minor demons and an Elf queen.
The environments are forests, swamps, classic dungeons, a city among the trees.
Themes and motifs are feminism, eugenics, "dark" or corrupted elves.
The Cult of Luna album Eternal Kingdom https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Kingdom is godfather to all the quest titles
and the overall mood.

Dropbox-link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9dpeox62ejor91s/AABL_3JGEhvYxVSoyax3mwuKa?dl=0

The villain chart for this is not finished, but you can see the stats.
Refer to the rest of my Dropbox for rules.
Eternal Kingdom is played with the Morcar Compendium and takes more than the standard HQ game system for playing.
The attachment files misses the villain chart (see Dropbox-link below).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Rules